Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 488 Unique Visitors
9,045 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 33,567 Page Views | 18,421 Unique Visitors | 26 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
NewbiesPro2

Can I be successful starting a biz that does just Matterport scans, and...?16521

Clark, New Jersey
5StarScans private msg quote post Address this user
Hi board,

Have been digesting a lot of info here over the last few days. Great group, happy I found you and Cheers to Dan for starting it all!

QUESTION for input:

I am planning on starting a company that does just scans and was leaning toward Matterport and the Pro2 to get up and running...BUT...after seeing talk of them being acquired am starting to get cold feet on plunging into the water with them since I am so new to the industry. If they are acquired I don't want to loose the costs associated with getting started with them...any thoughts?

I am in a sense betting the farm on this venture and don't want to die in the field because of barren soil.

A
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
@5StarScans

What is your business plan? what industry or industries are you chasing? If chasing Real Estate just VR is going to be an up hill battle, most agents are looking for a one stop shop that offers stills, VR, Aerial, video, amongst other add on services

If chasing commercial clients there are several paths here as well is this just for front end marketing ie a vr tour/ Google street view of the business or is this for BIM or other construction type take off's, documentation for insurance is another path for capturing a space.

any of these routes it is important to see what is currently being offered in your community. If you are looking to purchase a Pro2 camera and be presented with a line of people beating down your door offering you hand fulls of cash unfortunately, that has never been the case it has always required a lot of grit and hustle out there belly to belly with potential clients explaining what it is that you offer and how that could help their business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5StarScans
I am planning on starting a company that does just scans
Post 2 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
nope
Post 3 IP   flag post
Clark, New Jersey
Hi,

I am planning on going the more commercial route to offer tours for businesses. I don't like the real estate side, although I will pitch some higher end brokers in my area.

I just got the Pro2 at Adorama and also got a case and tripod in the deal. I am hoping that they don't release the Pro3 this year!

I will be reaching out into the BIM market and explore the insurane route also. I don/t mind making contact to hustle for business. The thing with the restoration side is I bet its a pretty commodified space and prices are set on a schedule already...where as if I approach business owners I can sell a higher price on the service since its new to them and ties into their marketing.

I now have to get good at learning to do scans proficiently. I am an andriod/PC guy....any recommendation on the best tablet to use with the Pro2?

5star
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
@5StarScans That question really all depends upon your motivation, drive and spirit to succeed regardless of the obstacles.

Consider the Matterport Pro2 3D a special tool that you have, that not too many other people have. Now probably more than ever people are becoming aware of what matterport is, and I'm finding the bigger bucks is on the commercial side, and people are finding me online and I'm getting calls and I'm getting hired from out of town companies to scan larger spaces. I'm in my fifth plus you're doing this, so once you actually get your camera and you start making phone calls and knocking on doors you will for sure find opportunity. How big you get and how much money you can make really depends on your vision how you want to scale your company and what niche you provide the market that few other people do.

And the even more exciting part about all of this, is that there is amazing opportunity for people to invent and innovate for this specific industry.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Clark, New Jersey
@Getmyvr

Thanks for the reply. I plan on working this hard and hitting the streets soon.

What set up do you use in the field tablet wise to work with the camera? Are you an apple guy or andriod guy?
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
I am an iOS guy. I am currently rocking the latest M1 iPad Pro & prefer the stability of the iOS operating system that said there is some benefit to android currently with ether ability to add external 360 imagery
Post 7 IP   flag post
Clark, New Jersey
What does adding external 360 imagery refer to?.... exterior shots? Why does andriod have a benefit over iOS on that?
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
@5StarScans I have the new iPad pro with 256 GB. Other than that, I'm Android
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@5StarScans

Android allows you to add an edited 360 image back into a model though this may still be a beta feature meaning you could edit objects out of a 360 image or you could possibly upload staged 360 images
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
@lilnitsch I recently shot a law office that is now vacant and I could have actually imported this scan to that Android version edit the company name out. Thanks for the reminder.
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@GETMYVR

No worries
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
WGAN-TV | Dan, Should I Buy a Matterport Pro2 3D Camera (and Start a Service Business?) | Guest: Anonymous | Friday, 25 February 2022 | Episode: #135 | (The voice of the WGAN Forum Member has been changed and edited for clarity and brevity.)

Transcript: Dan, should I buy a Matterport Pro2 3D Camera and start a service business?

@5StarScans

Is this video (above) helpful?

Dan
Post 13 IP   flag post
Apologies for being blunt, but you are headed directly towards a big disappointment.

So... you currently have ZERO business, and (I assume), lots of TIME available.

Why would you decide against doing real estate scans?

We live in a pretty affluent area, with a population of about 600,000. There are around 1200 residential real estate listings a month here right now. So, 1200 opportunities to GET PAID. We do pretty well with this. And 95% of these scans are repeat realtor clients.

How many local "businesses" do you think are going to want a Matterport scan each month? We do maybe 1 a month.

How are you planning to "sell" these scans? Cold calling? Are you prepared to spend hours, days, weeks cajoling marketing people on the idea of giving you $$$$ to scan their law office/doctor's office/restaurant/car dealership?

Oh, and the very fact that Matterport scanning a business is "new to them" means that the sales process becomes twice as labor intensive.

I have decades of sales experience, decades of real estate experience and 6 1/2 years of real estate photography experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5StarScans
Hi,

I am planning on going the more commercial route to offer tours for businesses. I don't like the real estate side, although I will pitch some higher end brokers in my area.

I just got the Pro2 at Adorama and also got a case and tripod in the deal. I am hoping that they don't release the Pro3 this year!

I will be reaching out into the BIM market and explore the insurane route also. I don/t mind making contact to hustle for business. The thing with the restoration side is I bet its a pretty commodified space and prices are set on a schedule already...where as if I approach business owners I can sell a higher price on the service since its new to them and ties into their marketing.

I now have to get good at learning to do scans proficiently. I am an andriod/PC guy....any recommendation on the best tablet to use with the Pro2?

5star
Post 14 IP   flag post
Clark, New Jersey
Not off the table, but I am willing to see what I can do that is new...sell the glitz and hype of the metaverse...real estate is always there.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Ok, bud. Get out there and sell the glitz of scanning.

We will be busy getting paid by a client base that is already sold.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Clark, New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expertise
Ok, bud. Get out there and sell the glitz of scanning.

We will be busy getting paid by a client base that is already sold.

Just curious...what state are you in?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Floriduh.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Clark, New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expertise
Floriduh.

Nice...I'm in NJ and will market to NY also. I'll share what I learn, maybe it will work in your market.

Cheers.
Post 19 IP   flag post
101587 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?