Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 25 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Matterport AxisQuestion of the Day

Question of the Day: Your thoughts about Matterport Axis Rotator?16393

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

WGAN Question of the Day (All)

Question of the Day: Your thoughts about Matterport Axis: a New Hands-Free Motor Mount for Precision 3D Capture

Hi All,

The WGAN Forum Question of the Day for Tuesday, 8 February 2022:

Question of the Day: Your thoughts about Matterport Axis: a New Hands-Free Motor Mount for Precision 3D Capture

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
3D Renderings
AEC Elevation Drawings
Montreal, Québec
ArchimedStudio private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Dan,

Initial thoughts (I just discovered this product 10 minutes ago):
Who is this product targeted at? Non-professionals is my wild guess. But if so, why would you bother using this setup and not just use your phone and spin around? To get a semi-pro result? Then why not use a Z1 if your goal is to make a quick but clean tour?
If you have a team, are you going to buy/upgrade phones in order for the team to use the Axis, or just go ahead and buy a Z1 and a tripod.

Can you order a Matterpak with a Space scanned with a phone + Axis? If so, here's a big plus compared to the Z1.

Please feel free to chime in, I might totally be overlooking some very cool features!

Matt
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
Looks interesting ~ once again this is geared to getting new users hooked on the Matterport ecosystem

Post 3 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
If you think of the next iPhone generation coming with a plus 40 Megapixel camera and maybe an improved lidar, this could be a revolutionary product. But I think it is not.

Does it use the lidar from the iPhone Pro? I don´t think so.

And the overall construction does not look very stable. You will have problems with the image quality. No HDR, no low light.
Post 4 IP   flag post
CharlesHH private msg quote post Address this user
Following...
Post 5 IP   flag post
jlhouedanou private msg quote post Address this user
It's a good way to get started with matterport, although it has a glaring flaw : the whole process of tilting the axis is time consuming .
Post 6 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeshImages
Does it use the lidar from the iPhone Pro? I don´t think so

I just got an answer from Matterport via Twitter.

The axis actually is supporting iphone lidar!

Here is the corresponding Matterport blogpost.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

Matterport Axis Smartphone Rotator Now Available for Purchase

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
NickN private msg quote post Address this user
Some background first... I was looking for a 3D scanning method (not 360 video/photo, I need point clouds and/or geometry). It's an infrequent need, maybe 2-8 scans per year, but typically for larger commercial spaces. I have prior experience with 360 video and some photogrammetry. I pre-ordered the Axis as, in theory, it should remove a lot of the error that comes with hand held capture.

So, to answer some comments from this thread:

1/ Why get it? Because if the software is any good, knowing the rate of rotation should allow for far more seamless stitching of captured images, leading to better captures and better 3D models.

2/ Does it use iPhone Pro LIDAR? Yes it does.

3/ Does it work? It certainly seems to. I scanned two floors of a commercial building, covering ~25,000 sq. ft of space. I had to do it over two days as the iPhone battery ran out. I also found that the iPhone overheated if I went too fast. But at the end of the day, it seemed to perform well.

The Results
Pretty good. I was able to create a 2D floorplan that seemed reasonably accurate, and overall the scan appeared to be of decent quality. The camera never got "lost" while I was scanning. Not too many holes and no big tears/disjointed sections.

Would I Recommend it?
This is where it gets interesting. I absolutely, categorically, cannot recommend this device. Why? It works well, but despite all of Matterport's advertising of the Axis as a great tool for 3D capture and Digital Twins etc, YOU CANNOT EXPORT ANY 3D FORMAT! There is no Matterpak available. All you can create a 3D panos and 2D floorplans (paid extra). This renders the device and app utterly useless for me.

I am fairly familiar with the underlying technology. I've worked in 3D for more than 25 years. As far as I can tell, this is a deliberate choice by Matterport management, and in no way a technical limitation. If I had to guess, it's to avoid cannibalizing some of their camera sales. However, since I'm guessing they make more profit on the service plans, this seems very short sighted.

So for me, the Axis is now a glorified paperweight. Hobbled by a dumb management decision. Very disappointing.
Post 9 IP   flag post
101646 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?