Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
360AdviceBoatsHow toMatterport AppRicoh Theta Z1

How to 360 photograph a large boat in a boathouse for dollhouse view?16103

ChrisTaylor private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all,
I'm fairly new to 360 virtual tours, I use the Ricoh Theta Z1 with Matterport app, have been using it a couple of weeks now.

I've been trying to do a virtual tour shoot at our town's lifeboat station and have a shoot at the museum tomorrow which has a number large boats inside but I can't seem to work out how to successfully shoot it so that the meshing works and it provides a decent dollhouse view showing the boat properly.

The boat is on a carriage so the hull is about 3ft off the ground and the top of the boat is about 9ft off the ground. If I start at ground level and go around the boat all it's getting is the hull so I tried reshooting it with the camera 12ft up on a large lightstand and then shoot another sequence of scans from the usual 5 ft stand I use but that doesn't see to be working either.

I'm wondering if anyone else has found a solution to shooting really big objects/boats/vehicles in a room. I potentially have a camper van show room to do in a couple of weeks and would like to be able to get the roofs of the campers in for the showroom dollhouse view so presumably that will require shooting a sequence at a much higher level and then hiding those points for the virtual tour. Is shooting at different heights going to confuse the software?

Have spent hours Googling & looking on YouTube but not found an answer yet so would really appreciate any tips please?
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic Member
Boston
Noddy private msg quote post Address this user
Interested also
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by @ChrisTaylor
I've been trying to do a virtual tour shoot at our town's lifeboat station and have a shoot at the museum tomorrow which has a number large boats inside but I can't seem to work out how to successfully shoot it so that the meshing works and it provides a decent dollhouse view showing the boat properly.

There is an option to NOT SHOW the dollhouse. Does that help?

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
Thanks Dan, yes I have tried that option but it seems a real shame to have to disable it. I’d really like to work out a way to shoot it so that it works.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@ChrisTaylor

Do you have a photo of the boat house that you can post here? It might help understand the challenge.

Best,

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
Thank you - the virtual tour is at the link below but it has lots of issues. Will reshoot if I can work out how to get it working for this space. I think the sides of the trailer aren’t helping either. https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=FnwU76GFBnf

Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTaylor
Thank you - the virtual tour is at the link below but it has lots of issues. Will reshoot if I can work out how to get it working for this space. I think the sides of the trailer aren’t helping either. https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=FnwU76GFBnf

@Home3D
@lilnitsch

Got any thoughts about how to improve the mesh on this boat house when shooting with a Ricoh Theta Z1?

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: Editing your Matterport Model: Trim | Video courtesy of Matterport YouTube Channel | 8 November 2021

@ChrisTaylor

While not your question, this may be helpful regarding trimming the top of the dollhouse:

Post-process trimming in Workshop!

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
Thank you, I haven't bothered trimming this one yet as it just looks so bad I didn't want to spend any more time on it if I'm going to re-shoot it. It may just be that spaces like this are outside of what is possible with the technology right now.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I believe it looks bad because you are using a one click camera. If you use a Pro2 it will look much better.
Post 10 IP   flag post
101432 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?