Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Help Wanted

Got an Okay on a 7,000 sf Mansion: Now What?1608

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
A Member of the We Get Around Referral Network reached out to me about a 7,000 sf mansion (and a bit nervous about the size).

He asked for my tips for shooting this large home and asks, "200 scans max, right?"

Matterpeeps, here are my thoughts. What are yours?

Dan

1. Congrats
2. You can shoot an unlimited number of scans; just duplicate the model and delete scans to get to 200
3. Are there outdoor patios and decks?
4. Are there rooms with a view that are extremely important?
5. Since you can only control light, know where the sunrises and where it sets and scan accordingly. For example, if the sun is on the east side of the house, scan on the west side of the house.
6. The best light is always "golden hour" | Matterport Pro 3D Camera Photographers: 11 Tips for Capturing Magical 3D Models
7. For luxury home, more tips | Matterport Pro 3D Camera Photographers: 11 Tips for Capturing Magical Matterport 3D Spaces
8. Tips for shooting outdoor decks/patios | 10 Tips for Shooting Outdoors with the Matterport Pro 3D Camera
9. Sometimes you need to break the rules | We Get Around Breaking Our Top 10 Rules for Creating Great Matterport Spaces
10. Shoot in anticipation of converting the Matterport Space to Matterport to help the agent continue the exclusive listing | Matterport Photographers: 4 Rules for Preparing Models for Virtual Reality (VR)

Best,

Dan

P.S. I will be teaching a We Get Around Virtual Reality (VR) Masters Class in San Francisco (Day Before #ICSF2016)
Post 1 IP   flag post
ny360east private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting topic! Can anyone explain this to me?

You can shoot an unlimited number of scans; just duplicate the model and delete scans to get to 200.
Post 2 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
Dan,
Wait a minute that was my referral what happened?
Just kidding, what you outlined looks good. What we found on bigger homes is the amount of maneuvering it took to move thru the home smoothly, which is what we found eat up scans. So like you say planning and come up with a game plan with the thought 200 is the max and once you get to about 175-185 be prepared to redo scans.

Ron
Post 3 IP   flag post
Yes, great info Dan. I like the idea of re-visiting the areas with a nice view at sundown. Just trying to understand the whole duplicate and delete method that you mentioned.
Post 4 IP   flag post
JRMaddox private msg quote post Address this user
My question on deleting a scan. I was always under the impression that if I scan an area and then I delete it the area that I deleted will be losing that information from the scan and the 3D portion wont be as good.. Makes no sense of what I just said but cant think of another way to say it...

Maybe this way. If I have a room and Ive got 10 scans....
If I delete say 3 of them. Will this degrade the end result?
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@bcirillo @ron0987 @JRMaddox

About deleting scans:

1. Never delete scans while you are scanning, UNLESS the scan is in the wrong place. Then, and only then, delete the scan.

2. Imagine that you scan the house and need 20 scans to get down the stairs. (It happens!) And, now your scan count is 210. When you begin post production - trimming the model - first duplicate the model on your iPad. You are about to do surgery and if something goes wrong, you want to be able to revert to your original model. Now, duplicate your model, delete 10 of the scans to get down the stairs and your scan count = 200.

While the model may process with more than 200 scans. If you reach out to Matterport Support, they would like your model to be 200 or fewer scans. Even if you successfully process 250 scans, for example, the model runs in webGL which will likely crash when you go too far over the 200 scan count.

3. Now, about to the 210 scans above. Imagine that you need to do 250 scans to do the house (or even 300 if you follow my "magic light" discussion in one of the We Get Around blog posts listed above). Reminder to duplicate the model. Then delete 50 scans. BUT, keep in mind, if you remove a critical scan the model may collapse. Thus, the back-up.

In my MUG Forum post ....

Why I shot 300+ Scans for this Model + Risks

I write in more detail about the "house of cards" challenge.

Reminder, if you delete scans that matter for the dollhouse and floor plan view, you can end up with black. So, use HIDE scan instead of DELETE scan in Workshop.

HIDE scan means you can not "walk" on that scan. Hidden scans are actually still used for the Dollhouse and Floor Plan view.

@JRMaddox

For clarification, if you have a room with 10 scans and your model count is less than 200, DO NOT DELETE SCANS. Instead, HIDE the scans that you needed to make the floor plan and dollhouse look nice. You may only want people to stand in three places in the bedroom: not 10. So, again, HIDE scans. Do not delete scans.

The only times to delete scans:

1. When the model is over 200 scans (duplicate on iPad before deleting)
2. When a scan obviously is in the wrong place. Typically happens with direct sunlight or darkness or other place where there are no reliable common points between images to seamlessly stitch the images together.

By the way, we always over scan a space. We like options when we get to post production. That's a MUG Forum topic for another day.

Clear as mud?

Okay, anyone disagree with what I described above?

Dan

Post 6 IP   flag post
i think i follow. So, deleting is actually deleting from the app, prior to processing. Hiding is done after processing when the model is already produced.

So, if we complete scanning and are at like 240 scans, duplicate the model, try to delete 40 that dont look like they would be "important" scans, and try to upload. If it fails or looks weird, then we have our backup copy. Backup again, and try again...
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thanks... Yeah I dont delete any scans unless im over 100 or 200... If im at 110 ill copy it and see if I can remove any and still get a good tour... I just wanted to know if what I was doing was correct in doing so. Ive deleted some scans that are only there to stich me to the next scan. In which I will try and delete that scan in trying to reduce the amount of scans I have. So far I havent had any real big issues yet.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@bcirillo yes. Well said.

@JRMaddox yes. Exactly. Though, remember to duplicate the model before deleting any scan.

All,

Anyone disagree with my recommendations?

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
pirusan private msg quote post Address this user
7,000 sq ft. recommendations from me:

1) Bring comfortable shoes
2) Bring Lunch
3) Bring Water

The above was meant to be a joke.

On the technical part, I would add,
1) Be "lose" marking the trims,
2) Do not forget window and mirrors. (Is better to "over mark" windows and mirrors than "under mark"

Bigger houses, more things could go wrong at processing.

Gus
Post 10 IP   flag post
@pirusan -- why "lose" marking trims?
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@pirusan @bcirillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by @pirusan
7,000 sq ft. recommendations from me:

1) Bring comfortable shoes
2) Bring Lunch
3) Bring Water

The above was meant to be a joke. ...

Gus

About #1 ...

Atlanta Matterport Photographer Expects to Walk Nearly 1,000 Miles in 2015

The shoes I recommend for Matterport Pros

(I these walking shoes)

Dan
Post 12 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod LOL Duly Noted on my end!!!

@bcirillo When the trims are too tight, meaning too close to the walls creates several problems. The main one is that you might get the dreaded ""Black Walls" and also when you have a first floor with different celing heights the software could go a bit "crazy" finding pieces of structure in the wrong floor.
I had this problems several times ad deleting the trimming fix the problem 100% of the time. Especially when the contour of the first floor is different from the second floor.

I almost do not trim the models anymore, I am careful on being "generous" on marking windows and mirrors and get virtually no debris outside the boundaries of the house.

Also saves time!!!

Gus
Post 13 IP   flag post
@pirusan So you dont trim? So if I mark the windows and mirrors which I do I shouldnt get the spill look when its all done? I notice it when its being scanned on my ipad. But I have never tried not to trim....
Post 14 IP   flag post
@JRMaddox Yes, if you do a good job and are generous with the windows you should not get the "spill" look. Also you need to identify if the spill comes from the window or a mirror and you should be fine.

I hope the images help

Gus
Post 15 IP   flag post
@pirusan Nice! Ok ill try it next time.. I always try and over lap windows and mirros as much as possible. Curious if getting it as close the the window or mirror makes any difference. I always try and get it as close as possible but some times wonder if it matters.
Post 16 IP   flag post
@JRMaddox I do not believe I am that precise. I mark windows and mirrors in the 40 seconds the machine is scanning so I am always in a hurry. As long as I mark windows a little lit bigger I think I am fine.
My thinking is that if the model is too messy I can re-upload. My priority is really not driving the software crazy with too many trims because the model looks weird with things in the wrong floor etc. which will make me re-upload again anyway.
Give it a shot and let us all know how it went.
Gus
Post 17 IP   flag post
@pirusan I pretty much do the same thing while its scanning I put in windows and such... Im always trying to see if i can get it pretty close to the window... Next time I wont worry about it and just copy it and see how it looks. Will save some time not trimming....
Post 18 IP   flag post
Dreammachine private msg quote post Address this user
What are you charging the client to scan 7,000 sqft?? 💰💰💰
Post 19 IP   flag post
101636 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?