Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceMatterportMatterTagsProblemsScanningStructured Light

Can't align Matterport MatterTags properly: how to fix please?15765

Mastle private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, I've scanned a small product showroom for someone, and the idea was to add matter tags to every profit. The problem I'm having is that I can't actually align the Mattertags properly - they jump about as you move through the model. The other issue is that the camera sin't picking up some of the vertical sails and ropes as objects, so there's no way to actually tag them. Anyone got any ideas?

I'm rescanning ti next week, and I'm toying with hiring a Matterport camera to see if that helps (this one was done with a Ricoh). The only other thing I can think of it to ditch Matterport and create a tour using 360 photos.

Thanks.

clickable text

Password: test
Post 1 IP   flag post
ThinkLab private msg quote post Address this user
@Mastle I don't see a problem with your tour. When you are gong to use a Pro2 you are going to get a lot of broken artefacts in it especially with those ropes and also scanning close , the rule is at least min 50 cm away from any object.

Maybe go and try with the pro 2 and see how that works out. But also remember the Mattertags always has been a problem , especially when you do the least amount of scans as there is not enough data in the model to build the proper mesh.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Mastle

Welcome to the We Get Around Network Forum.

I am guessing here ...

I could imagine that if you re-scan with the Matterport Pro2 3D Camera, you will be able to place the Matterport MatterTags where you would like them.

Why?

Matterport MatterTags attached to scan data.

In Matterport Workshop-->EDIT Mode. Select the MESH icon to the right of the Dollhouse ICON.

Screen Grab 1: Click on MESH View ICON in EDIT mode in Matterport Workshop.

Screen Grab 2 - MESH View

Screen Grab 3 - WALK View

In MESH View (Screen Grab 2 above), it's super-likely that I would have trouble adding a MatterTag to the facet because the shinny surface prevented scan data. If you look at the patio door, you see a band of BLACK. That means no data. That means I can not attach a MatterTag to the black area because there is no scan data.

Do you "see" scan data in your model where you want to add MatterTags? If not, you have identified the problem. And, the (likely easiest) solution is likely re-scan with the Matterport Pro2 3D Camera.

Does that help?

Best,

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
Looks like you're right, the tops of those tables look like melted plastic on the mesh view! And it hasn't seen the ropes at all. Or the glass table. I'll arrange to hire a Matterport camera, hopefully that will be a lot more accurate. The Ricoh's been really good up till now, but this job is a little more demanding...
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Mastle
Looks like you're right, the tops of those tables look like melted plastic on the mesh view! And it hasn't seen the ropes at all. Or the glass table. I'll arrange to hire a Matterport camera, hopefully that will be a lot more accurate. The Ricoh's been really good up till now, but this job is a little more demanding...

@Mastle

A Matterport Pro2 3D Camera uses structured light to capture the depth-data.

Structured light has trouble capturing depth data with:

1. glass
2. black
3. shiny surfaces
4. chrome
5. water (pool)
6. sun

Additionally, thin verticals can be a challenge such as rope, banister and railings.

Does that help? Can you "get by" placing Matterport MatterTags near the items?

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Mastle

Looking at your model again, despite glass/black/shiny surfaces/chrome/rope, you should be successful with a Matterport Pro 3D Camera provide that you are okay with the MatterTags "attached" to the items (and not the glass table, for example). For example, you (should) be able to attach a MatterTag to the rope on the glass table: but not the glass table.

Please share with us what you end up doing and how it worked out for you.

Best,

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
I can use the tabletop and use tags with long invisible stems I think? As long as the camera picks up the tabletop properly, and doesn't have some many glitches as I move round the room - the alignment isn't good on the current model so when I place a tag from one point of view, it ends up in a different place as you move around the room. Hoping the better camera will give me a more accurate model.
Post 7 IP   flag post
CharlesHH private msg quote post Address this user
It’s a basic problem with Mattertags even with a Pro2 camera which is what I use. It might be better but lining up Mattertags is always very difficult and they jump around on non flat surfaces.
If you have a load of 360s made with a Ricoh you can use Cupix and position tags very neatly as you can set the x y and z coordinates. But Cupix has its own challenges.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Good stuff, I'll hire a Matterport Pro 2 and rescan the whole thing. I'm also going to take a load of 360 photos just to be sure. It's a shame you can't add tags or labels to the 360 pics you can embed in Matterport, or that would be a solution.

I'm also going to step away from the tables a bit, I think I was too close.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I might try Cupix too...
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
I can use the tabletop and use tags with long invisible stems I think? As long as the camera picks up the tabletop properly, and doesn't have some many glitches as I move round the room - the alignment isn't good on the current model so when I place a tag from one point of view, it ends up in a different place as you move around the room. Hoping the better camera will give me a more accurate model.

Ask your Matterport Service Provider to overscan the space. This may help create more depth-data.

You can HIDE the extra scans in Matterport Workshop. The hidden Matterport scans still "count" for creating the MESH that you need to attached MatterTags.

You might even have the MSP scan the space TWICE. Once at the walk-around height that you want and the additional scan of the space at MAXIMUM HEIGHT of his/her tripod. (Make a note of which scan the MAXIMUM HEIGHT begins. This will make it easier in Matterport Workshop (so that you know to HIDE all scans starting with X scan.

Please do share the AFTER experience with us and how that worked for you.

Best,

Dan
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkLab
@Mastle I don't see a problem with your tour. When you are gong to use a Pro2 you are going to get a lot of broken artefacts in it especially with those ropes and also scanning close , the rule is at least min 50 cm away from any object.

Maybe go and try with the pro 2 and see how that works out. But also remember the Mattertags always has been a problem , especially when you do the least amount of scans as there is not enough data in the model to build the proper mesh.

There were a lot more scans, I've hidden them to see it it helped. And yes, I need to be further from the tables, I think that will help a lot.

I thought the Matterport camera actually scans the 3d space as opposed to just taking a photo and then interpreting?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
Quote:

Ask your Matterport Service Provider to overscan the space. This may help create more depth-data.

You can HIDE the extra scans in Matterport Workshop. The hidden Matterport scans still "count" for creating the MESH that you need to attached MatterTags.

You might even have the MSP scan the space TWICE. Once at the walk-around height that you want and the additional scan of the space at MAXIMUM HEIGHT of his/her tripod. (Make a note of which scan the MAXIMUM HEIGHT begins. This will make it easier in Matterport Workshop (so that you know to HIDE all scans starting with X scan.

Please do share the AFTER experience with us and how that worked for you.

Best,

Dan

I scanned it. There are loads more scans but I hid them on the model as to was getting overcomplicated. What's the idea of doing the high scans, won't it confuse things?
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Mastle

Need help locating a Matterport Service Provider with a Matterport Pro2 3D Camera?

WGAN Find a Matterport Service Provider Map

(Or, email me: DanSmigrod@WeGetAroundNetwork.com)

Best,

Dan
Post 14 IP   flag post
101429 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?