Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Blk360Large

Is it better to use Matterport & Leica BLK360 with large spaces?15637

Catasauqua, Pennsylvania
RayV private msg quote post Address this user
I've recently gotten some empty commercial spaces and have been having issues with alignments with the projects being quite large(supermarkets, department stores).

My question is would it be better to use the BLK360 for those large projects and if so does it work the same as the Pro2 in the capture app.

I've watched some videos but would like some input from those that may use both on a regular basis.
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Cayman Islands
Harrycayman private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Blk is good in large spaces. But it is slower. Even though they say 15 feet apart I get a lot of time no alignment. So it’s 10 feet that works. Matterport works 6 to 8 feet and it’s faster. Depends if you are creating a virtual tour or need as built drawings. BLK is more accurate for that
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I was able to connect two scans with a BLK360 that were almost 13-15m away. It was a pool in a hotel tremendous 4bd apartment suite located on its balcony. Only its front and may be 5 meters on its right side had enough floor area to put my tripod on, then there was a small 30cm wide edge about 5 meters long next to its bathroom window where I could not do anything. So the only way for me to get all data was to go to the other pool end with a café balcony located next to it and scan it from there. I was not sure it's going to align but it did. If it could not I would have to scan another 70-120 sqm just to reach the cafe balcony to be able to scan it.

I did fail that job as the idea was to capture pool water and with all areas I could capture from it just was not enough. This is what I've got even though on my minimap in the capture it shows much less black areas.

Here is a first scan without the pool shown and no BLK360 used

And this is what I've got with the BLK360.

Post 3 IP   flag post
Catasauqua, Pennsylvania
RayV private msg quote post Address this user
Would I use the Matterport April Tags or the Leica proprietary "Targets"?
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
In all my tests and one job with the BLK360 no targets have been required. BLK360 scans usually align with no problem. It may be hard to add a BLK360 scan to an exciting job at a spot where no scans have been done. However I have noticed that in cases like this scanning with the BLK360 between existing Pro2 scan points usually aligns well and then you can jump some significant distance and add another BLK360 scan.

And going the other way works the same.. if you have scanned with the BLK360 and then want to add a Pro2 scan you need to put a Pro2 between existing BLK360 scans for it to be aligned. Trying to switch the BLk360 with the Pro2 and trying to scan new areas does not seem to work.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Cayman Islands
Harrycayman private msg quote post Address this user
Hi

i have always found that when i switch between Matterport and BLK or other way. The last scan you do , on the same exact spot do the next scan and then move on.

harry
Post 6 IP   flag post
101429 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?