Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Pro1Pro2Ricoh Theta Z1

Start a Job with a Matterport Pro2 but Finish with a Pro1?15145

DaK private msg quote post Address this user
Well, against my better judgement..., I have purchased a pro 2 with the current promo...

I've had my pro 1 now for about 5 years I guess, and it's still going strong... sort of... It's had some bumps and bruises along the way and a few "on site" repairs but I'll be using for (maybe) it's last time this week.

However, despite some outer case damage and maybe some missing screws, it still performs like a champ so I want to keep it as a back up if for some reason my new pro 2 goes down.

So my question is this:

If I start a job with the pro 2 and say I'm like 50 scans in and something goes wrong. Could I finish the tour with a pro 1 or would I need to start over? I understand there is some resolution differences but just curious if anyone has done this before and if it affected the end result.

Thanks!

DaK
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
@DaK

You can swap cameras at anytime during a shoot ~ just pop in the wifi settings and select the other camera.

I do this quite a bit with the Z1 when trying to fill in exteriors or connect to an external building
Post 2 IP   flag post
Matterport
Camera
Repair Service
Gainesville, Florida
MatterFix private msg quote post Address this user
Shouldn't be any problem at all, other than the change in image quality. I believe that the 3D data from the Pro1 and Pro2 are very similar. I've used a Pro2, A Pro1 and a Pro2 Lite all on the same scan. If you want to get your Pro1 "tuned up", we offer a check-out & tune up service at MatteFix.io for $150...replace any missing screws, adjust the Clutch drive train to original specs, adjust the stepper motor tension, clean out any dust etc in the camera and re-assemble the camera correctly.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Nice! Is there any noticeable difference when you do that? I've only ever had the pro 1 and nothing else...
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic Member
Boston
Noddy private msg quote post Address this user
Agreed, you can swap cameras in mid-shoot.
One thing to keep in mind though if you are later planning to use Matterpak data - you can only use & mix cameras that have 3D data measurement (e.g. Pro1, Pro2, Blk360), but no ordinary 360 degree cameras or phones -using these in the mix will prevent possibility of a Matterpak (I'm told this from Matterport).

This came up for me when scanning a building with large atrium and important ceiling detail -the client didn't want the ceiling obscured by the nadir blur in a Pro2 / Pro1, and so a 360 camera (z1 I think) was used in the atrium area scans -but this meant no Matterpak could be ordered.
If I had a BLK360 that would have worked as it has no blur point above the camera, only below, -but we didn't have one to hand.

So in summary: yes, any mix of cameras will work with capture, but consider whether 3D Matterpak data is needed.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@MatterFix Haha, I may take you up on that. My onsite repairs are always for the internal motor not spinning the camera because the little arm (my technical term) gets loose. That's how I've lost some of the screws because I've stripped them out and I don't want to put them back in.

Gainesville huh? I'm in Palm Coast. May be worth a visit, I was just up there a few weeks ago shooting models in Oakmont community.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
I have two Pro 1s. When the Pro 2 was first released, I asked one of the MP staff the pointed question of what the differences were. I was told that there was no difference whatsoever between the data collected by the Pro cameras except that the Pro 2 delivered double the image resolution. The point cloud was identical.

My experience using both (now own both) is the same. Use either, depending upon your needs, but sharper images on the Pro 2.

The other important differences are that the Pro 2 rotates faster, reducing the time for each scan about 25% (rough guess) and the Pro 2 uploads scan data to the iPad faster, likely due to a later version of Wifi transmitter. But the actual data appears identical other than image resolution.

I've kept my two Pro 1s as backup, but as the Pro 2 reduces scan time (even if image quality doesn't matter on a job) I use it all the time. I've ordered another this week.

Let me call out kudos to MP for the durability of the Pro cameras - I've had rare and minor issues with any of my Pro cameras for the over 5 years I've been creating 3D tours. The cameras are remarkably tough. Last week, for the first time, one slipped off the tripod and hit the floor in freefall. Luckily it was on a rug which cushioned a little, but it was a hard enough hit to pop the bottom panel right off. We rebooted and went right back to scanning, the camera now with extra ventilation. Haven't yet figured how to get the bottom panel back onto the unit, but it's working fine.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Matterport
Camera
Repair Service
Gainesville, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaK
@MatterFix Haha, I may take you up on that. My onsite repairs are always for the internal motor not spinning the camera because the little arm (my technical term) gets loose. That's how I've lost some of the screws because I've stripped them out and I don't want to put them back in.

Gainesville huh? I'm in Palm Coast. May be worth a visit, I was just up there a few weeks ago shooting models in Oakmont community.
@DaK
Post 8 IP   flag post
Matterport
Camera
Repair Service
Gainesville, Florida
@DaK - sounds good! Let me know if I can help or if you get up this way.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Home3D I'll second you on the durability.

I have dropped mine a couple times while scanning (for whatever reason the clamp wasn't tight on the tripod, I now check it every 5 or 6 scans to make sure it's tight).

One fall was while scanning a pool between the back of the pool and the screened in lanai so about 2.5ft of space. I heard it crash and my heart sank. When I went to check (I was hiding from the scan of course) the tripod landed in the pool and some how the camera landed on the 2.5 ft of pool deck space. Not sure how but that's what happened...

Anyway, one of the sensor lights was out, rebooted everything and all was good. That was in my first year of owning it, 4ish years later... still going strong. Even my battery seems to be holding up fine. Full charge and still lasts for hours after this long. *knocks on wood*
Post 10 IP   flag post
101432 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?