Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 1,001 Unique Visitors
9,054 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 33,924 Page Views | 18,799 Unique Visitors | 26 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
360AdviceCastleLargeMuseumsPro2Scans

Project for scanning a Castle14721

JaviMorales private msg quote post Address this user
Hi I'm new to the forum, I think it's a great idea to gather all together to share knowledge and experience.
So I've been working with the PRO-2 for nearly a year but now I've got a challenge that I'm not sure how to solve.

Next monday I'll have a pitch for scanning the castle of my hometown and it's an amazing opportunity. However I'm still going around on how to make it happen.

My first thought its to use a panoramic image of the compound, taken by a drone, and then link it to the matterport scans of the indoor areas, since the deadlines are going to be tight is the best option I could come up with.

The other option is to find and rent a leica BLK and use it to scan the outdoor area and then link it to the matterport scans of the indoors.

I would like to know your thoughts and suggestions if you have any.

Thanks in advance!

P.S The castle is about 34.000 sq metres and has different heights and slopes.
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Cayman Islands
Harrycayman private msg quote post Address this user
do you need 3 d model of outside? If yes then BLK if no use matterport 360 as outside images

harry
Post 2 IP   flag post
Missoula, MT
rpetersn private msg quote post Address this user
Hello...perhaps some linked 360 panorama images would work, as you see here (using ThreeSixty Tours)?

https://threesixty.tours/demo/dunstaffnage-castle/
Post 3 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
I tend to agree with @rpetersn. Sounds like you could offer a mash-up of technologies. Matterport for the interiors, 360 for the exterior to give context to the scans. Depending on how big and accessible is the castle, the BLK may or may not be the best tool. Renting one could still be a learning experience regardless.

I'd explore the following:
- MP for interiors
- 360 for exteriors (both drone and terrestrial)
- Stretch goal: drone photogrammetry of the castle (some experts in this forum can chime in on the right software to use)
- Assembly of the experience in apps like http://3DVista.com or http://seekbeak.com with hotspots opening the MP

P.S. I did scan an Italian castle myself some time ago. The exterior is beautiful and if I had access to a drone, I'd have taken the above approach.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
How much of outdoor do you need to scan? You can easily scan outdoor for 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset. A pro2 camera will work the same way as indoor during this time.
Post 5 IP   flag post
andreabortolot private msg quote post Address this user
@Tosolini
You can use my drone anytime you like in the future. Just call me :-)
Post 6 IP   flag post
JaviMorales private msg quote post Address this user
Thank everyone for your answers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpetersn
rpetersn
Regarding the linking images is exactly what i though, I need to see the ones suggested by Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosolini
Tosolini
and decide which one suits better my budget and needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman
Wingman
That's what I need to confirm with them on the pitch, deppending on the amount of outdoors space I will see, however i picture it more practical to do it linking the images to the indoor tours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabortolot
andreabortolot
Thanks for the offering, I will take it into account, are you based in Spain or nearby? I'm working on the area of Alicante (Valentian Community).
Post 7 IP   flag post
101729 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?