Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceScansTips

One Model - Multiple People Want It1457

WGAN Basic
Denver
pixelray private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all - wondering what's the best way to go about this. I did a job for a client - a Realtor. Gave them access to the 3D model like normal. Now, the person that did the Remodel of that home is requesting their own copy of the 3D tour with all of his contact info in it vs the Realtors so he can showcase his work on his own website. What's the best way to go about this? Do I have to re-upload again from Ipad? Meaning a new upload charge? Thanks.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
Yep reupload it
It won't be a new charge since you already paid for it once (assuming you arent adding additional scans to it to make it go over 100)
Upload it and rebrand it for them. Costs you nothing
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
Thanks!
Post 3 IP   flag post
3D Renderings
AEC Elevation Drawings
Montreal, Québec
ArchimedStudio private msg quote post Address this user
Correct me if I'm wrong...

@Jamie is right, you don't pay anything to re-upload a model/scan, BUT, this new model counts in the total model hosted on the Matterport servers (ex: for the $49/mo plan, you can host 100 models). So let's say you upload a model 10 times making tests, that's 10 out of 100 spots taken on the server. Is this correct?

thanks,
Matt
Post 4 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
@ArchimedStudio
Yes, every model you have in your inventory does count to your over all model count. So even if it is one job but 10 uploads, you will have 10 models on your over all Matterport account.

Ron
Post 5 IP   flag post
JohnBecker private msg quote post Address this user
If you want to have the Realtor's version and the remodeler's version hosted in your account at the same time, you need to change the name of the model on your iPad and upload it. It will be a separate model, a separate processing charge, and it will count as another model against your total hosting. Speaking of which, you'll need to come up with a hosting agreement (and a hosting charge), since the remodeler will likely want you to host that model for the long term.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Dalivingston private msg quote post Address this user
Once the Realtor pays for the scan don't these images belong to the Realtor? So the remodeler would have to get their approval to use the images? Unless they are being redone or altered in which case it's a new job?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with @Dalivingston.

I'd make sure to get the express consent of the first party who paid for it before licensing it to someone else.

I know in my area that reputable home inspectors behave in this fashion with reference to their inspection reports. They state that the inspection report belongs to whoever ordered and paid for it in the first place (which is typically the buyer). If that Buyer decides not to purchase the house based on the report or because of financing issues, the inspector won't print out an additional copy for a 2nd buyer or for the Seller. They'll instead suggest that they contact the first party to see if they'll sell the report (which they can often get at a reduced price seeing how it isn't doing that person any good owning it), or they'll do the inspection over again top to bottom and charge full price.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
Very good info. Thank you all. I do understand it will count against me in the total number of models hosted.

John, if I don't change the name of the model, and just upload it again, it seems I wouldn't be charged the upload and processing fee as Janie mentioned. Is there an advantage to doing it the way you mentioned?
Post 9 IP   flag post
3D Renderings
AEC Elevation Drawings
Montreal, Québec
ArchimedStudio private msg quote post Address this user
I might be wrong, but duplicating an already uploaded XYZ model, renaming it "XYZ-copy", and uploading that new model, will not cost you any extra as it is considered an existing model.

Matt
Post 10 IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
Even if you change the name st ipad level it won't incur an additional charge. Upload it how you want, but it's easier to change it on the computer once it's done.
You will of course need to take the photos/highlights again for the new upload however.
It would be nice if you could duplicate a model on the computer and keep everything
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
Ok, thanks to you all.
Post 12 IP   flag post
lisahinson private msg quote post Address this user
My question is slightly pertinent to the original question. On occasion I have re-uploaded a model and then I have two sitting in the capture app. I'm always a little nervous to delete one of them since I'm not sure which one is tied to the link on the 3D tour. I looked at the dates of the tours and they DO correspond to one of the files in the capture app. SO, it's POSITIVELY UNEQUIVOCALLY safe to delete the other?

Thanks
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
As far as I know, if you have two models in your account and delete one, the other will still be there regardless of which one is tied to the first upload.
Post 14 IP   flag post
lisahinson private msg quote post Address this user
Ok, I'm going for it. Hehe
Post 15 IP   flag post
SoldSquad private msg quote post Address this user
Whether or not you can sell/use the model for another client depends on how you contracted for the work in the first place.
(1) If your contract says that you do work for hire - the product belongs to the client. They paid you for the finished product, and it belongs to them. (Much like the home inspector mentioned above.) That product is theirs to resell, give away, license out, etc.
(2) If your contract says you are granting an exclusive license, then you still OWN the work, but it cannot be licensed for use by anyone else. (Neither you nor they can grant a sublicense without a release by each other.)
(3) If your contract says you are granting a non-exclusive license, then you can in turn sell licensing rights to additional parties. (However, the original licensee generally cannot.

If you have NO contract, it can get messy. The client generally assumes that if they paid you for it, they own the final product. Without written agreement to the contrary, it is work for hire, where they can do anything they want, and you relinquish all rights to it.

When I hire a creative professional, I always try to ask how the work is being done. (Photographer, graphic artist, web designer, whatever - the idea is the same.)

My preference is either work for hire, or exclusive license. I'm always happy to agree to a license to use the work themselves, for demonstration or self promotion. But I would never agree to allow work I paid for to be re-sold or relicensed to a third party.
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
I am following the advice of a long time real estate photographer. He DOES NOT use agreements/contracts. He said in over 25 years of service, he has only had 3 issues and those issues were easily handled. I have researched this subject too - it seems it's about half and half. A lot do contracts and a lot don't. I see both sides and decided for myself to keep it simple.

The only thing I use is a simple email informing clients that they are giving me permission to photograph a certain property and the amount they are going to pay. I did ask this guy to get written permission saying the Realtor is ok with him using it too.
Post 17 IP   flag post
101430 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?