Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
BLK360MSPs

Do you own a BLK360?14535

dave3d private msg quote post Address this user
Had a discussion today about how many MSPs own BLKs.

Do you own a BLK360? Do you know an MSP who does?
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Birmingham, Alabama
rko1 private msg quote post Address this user
We own a BLK360 and 5 Matterport Pro2s.
Post 2 IP   flag post
aerialpixels private msg quote post Address this user
Hey RKO

I am curious about the BLK360... since it can scan a farther range, does it mean we can have a larger distance between scan points and the capture app will still be able to stitch?
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Birmingham, Alabama
Yes, I will tell you there is a lot more to do, more software, just more work after scans. But the distance between scans can be further. They advertise more than one should actually scan, actual optimum, and this is from one of their techs, is 20 feet. Oh yeah, and the scans take longer. You have 3 levels (resolution) of scans - higher the resolution, the longer the scan, high def can be about 6 minutes.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Birmingham, Alabama
A lot of good Youtube Videos and you can do a Google search for problems and error messages.
Post 5 IP   flag post
aerialpixels private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the insight!
I knew blk360 is slower for sure,
but i also thought that it was as simple as the Pro cameras, just slower and can scan further and outdoors.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Birmingham, Alabama
That's what I thought, but not quite so, but many of the clients are asking for them. We have 2 such projects involving multiple spaces each. They are both pilot projects and if they fly, $$$$.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Boxborough, Massachusetts
toddwaddington private msg quote post Address this user
@rko1, I’m looking at possibly financing one. When you say $$$$, what is the range, for say, a fast food joint vs a department store?
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Birmingham, Alabama
Are you asking about pricing or income?
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Birmingham, Alabama
We have projects involving fast food, another a very large department store.
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
I am interested in income. My guess is one get twice as much as a Matterport gig for these (more?) since the accuracy of the point cloud is so valuable for industrial reasons. I do work for a company which recently asked if I had one. I want to know if 10-20 jobs will pay for it.
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Birmingham, Alabama
Cost of camera alone is 18,300, but with accessories plus software, plus a warranty for 2 years and phone contact during that period, and sales tax...26,000+
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Birmingham, Alabama
You know what your company pays, then you will know if the value is there, BUT, it's never just about today, future and potential. All of the companies we work with are looking at projects which involves either BLK and Matterport or just BLK alone.
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Well, I know what they pay for Matterport. My thought is, they will pay more for BLK360, no? But yes, point taken. This has been helpful because I have been looking for insights from folks who aren’t surveyors by trade. Thanks!
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Birmingham, Alabama
The Leica sales rep told me that we are one of two companies from North Carolina to Texas, who are not Architects, Construction, or Surveyors. That means the value of owning one should increase. That is why I said, it's not just about today but, an investment for the future.
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
excellent, so very helpful indeed. And I'm in Massachusetts, so no direct threat from me!
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Birmingham, Alabama
For those who truly want to work and GO AFTER IT there is always work...may not be the best paying but can always find it or it finds you.
Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Right on. I'm a YES man. I know work begats work.
Post 18 IP   flag post
dave3d private msg quote post Address this user
Funny coincidence?

The BLK360 does 360,000 points per second.

360 degrees, 360K points per second, which begat the name?

Now that's marketing that took a lot of planning!

Post 19 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
@rko1 I just have a big concern on the over all return on investment based on having the equipment and the continued use of it. I do see a specific need for the BLK360 which is a great piece of equipment. But in the long term is it worth it? I see the market switching to faster cheaper tours. On the BLK360 even though you get the distance between scans the time to scan goes up, so is the overall time on job different between MP with more scans and BLK360 less scans more time on each scan?
Post 20 IP   flag post
@rko1 Would you be willing to do a side by side comparison of MP and BLK360? Same space, two or three scans same location to be able to showcase the distance you can go between the MP and BLK360. This would showcase the distance between scans, the time to do the scans and photo/stitching quality of each. That would be extremely helpful for others considering the purchase.
Post 21 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Birmingham, Alabama
We just completed a project in Tulsa Oklahoma. There were 3 Arby's involved. The SOW indicated that we do scans with Matterport and BLK360. You can do more Matterport scans (covering similar area) in less or equal time. The BLK in level 2 (medium resolution) of 3 levels, 1 low, 3 high takes about 4 and a half minutes per scan. Just be aware that the sweet spot (best distance to scan for max coverage) is 15 to 20 feet.

As far as work goes, we are involved or about to be involved in several projects that require just a BLK360 or a combination BLK360 and Matterport. We anticipate that the market will continue to grow for both. Here is what you have to consider in the thought process. The companies that call us to scan properties may or may not require both, but they have less service providers to deal with plus if your work is good, then you will be the one getting the calls no matter the SOW.

The POST process is also very time consuming in downing scan from the camera, and putting the scans together to generate the completed scan. The difference is you have all of that on your computer. You own it.

We also had and continue to have hardware issues with the BLK which requires us to swap the unit. The training program is videos and manuals, and believe me there is a very steep learning curve from hardware to software, but we learned and it should be easier going forward. Glad to help or answer any questions. Thank You GUYS.
Post 22 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Birmingham, Alabama
You can also rent one and test it out. Spoke with Kevin Dole in LA, who rented one several times for projects, about $250 a day. I will also add that the scope of the projects do get bigger with the BLK which does translate into increased revenue..
Post 23 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
I'm sure it's already been mentioned in one way or another, but these are two different animals, although they do "the same" thing. Matterport is a convenient, all in one, proprietary product which offers a matterpack for further point cloud edits and more. As I understand it, the 360BLK is designed first as the "lower end" of high end scanning devices, greater point cloud data for more precise measurements. The BLK360 will do what the Pro2 does but from what I understand, not a smoothly (in Matterport Capture), as that isn't it's overall or main function. So, rko1 pretty much spells out what I am hearing as well (perhaps from the same vendor). That some companies ONLY want the point cloud information (BLK360) and some are wanting both.

An additional question might be, is there 5-10K scanner in development which will rival the BLK360?
Post 24 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Birmingham, Alabama
At this point I have not seen anything of that nature. It would be GREAT if....but one never knows what tomorrow may bring. I wish Matterport would do it all, but not at this point. As I previously mention we have 5 Pro2s and the BLK 360. We may have to add at least one more Matterport and 2 BLK360s if things happen based on what I am being told from several sources. Buckle up maties. bold text
Post 25 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
As the expression goes, "from your mouth to God's ears".
Post 26 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
We also rent BLK360s as many projects that we tackle will sometimes require multiple techs on site! If you rent from Kukker Rankin, they will treat you right.

The BLK360 is extremely slow when it comes to capturing photographic information and the image quality is subpar compared to any other device that works with Matterport capture. When the BLK 360 is used with the lowest image quality which is HDR0, it's pretty fast considering how much data it's gathering.
Post 27 IP   flag post
@toddwaddington I check that out regularly the only problem is getting an end user product for walk thru presentations. If you find a lower price scanner will MP support it. Talking to other scanner reps MP is exclusive to Leica. So I do not see any change. I have seen two.lower end scanners that supported high resolution 3d data and a doll house supported by the point cloud. Both very promising but both failed to launch.
Post 28 IP   flag post
101433 28 28
This topic is archived. Start new topic?