Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Commercial Real EstateGMBGoogle Street ViewGSVMultiFloor

Can you do GSV on one floor of multi-floor commercial buildings?14512

Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
I'm curious if anyone knows the protocol if you have a business wanting Google Street View when their office space is, let's say, on the third floor of a multi-floor building.

Obviously when you position the business on to the map it would overlap with other units on different floors, but that wouldn't be a problem, would it? I suspect ultimately that the GSV is tied to the business and not the building, right?

I just have never done it before, so wasn't certain.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Gladsmuir private msg quote post Address this user
Hi @Queen_City_3D,
Do any of the other businesses have GSV tours?
Oliver
Post 2 IP   flag post
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladsmuir
Hi @Queen_City_3D,
Do any of the other businesses have GSV tours?
Oliver

Nope. I don't think so.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The tour is published to the business GMB page so you should not encounter any issues.
A reminder, as I forgot myself recently, to choose the Highlight Reel option when you publish through Matterport.
I’m not sure when the offer ends, but publishing was free again recently.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
You need to call a floor "Level x" in Matterport where x equals a level as it is shown on Google. So a ground level is usually level 0. When you publish Google should check a level assigned to a floor in a tour and place it correctly.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Hi @Wingman,
I was unaware that GSV read and used the content of the floor name tag when publishing their 2D version of Matterport tours.
Other than shopping malls, stadia and other large public buildings that Google has collected scan data on, I was also unaware that they held floor quantity data on individual buildings.
If they do not have actual data, does this mean we can designate as many floors as we wish to a building?
This could be especially useful.
Can you point me to any reference material on the subject?
One issue I foresee is the difference between European/Australian and US floor numbering conventions.
You correctly say that ‘we’ designate the level we enter a building at as the ‘Ground Floor’ and ‘0’, and then 1 is the ‘First Floor’ and so on.
As I understand it in the US the level you enter a building on is designated as the ‘First Floor’ and ‘1’, the next floor is ‘2’ and so on.
We have a local hospital here in Ireland where they have installed an American manufactured lift/elevator. When you enter the lift at the building entry level there is a large ‘G’ on the wall. To reach the first floor above street level you need to press the ‘2’ button. You then emerge on a floor with a large ‘1’ sign. The lift speaks in an American accent and announces that you have arrived at ‘Level 2’. You see a lot of bewildered folk riding up and down in the lift/elevator unsure of when they should alight.
As a US company I would expect Matterport to adopt the US convention on floor numbering, and wonder if you know if this is correct from your experiences?
Regards
Oliver
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Hi Oliver, the actual notation can be different. I was trying to recall how I did it then watched pano2VR video about it.
So it may be possible that you only need to use GL, L1,L2,L3 to mark them.

This is a tour I have done which is located on a ground level and a level 3 only. I have added "GL" and "L3" tags in my pano2vr tour and it was published correctly.

On the other hand this is a Matterport tour published to GSV and as you can see its floor notation on Google is shown as 0 and 1 numbers only

while in the actual Matterport tour they are called "Floor 1", "Floor 2"

I do not remember why I called them "Floor 1" and "Floor 2" while in fact it should be "Ground Floor" or "Floor 0" and "Floor 1" but it seems even that way it was published correctly as 0 and 1.
However I think Pan2VR way of calling them as GL, L1, L2 and adding them them as numbers 0,1 and 2 at the same time is the way how it should be done when publishing through Street View API.

According to Street View API you need to provide both a level number and a level name.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
According to my experience shown above and Google Street View API the string for a level object must be no longer than 3 characters to be shown as floor notation on Google. Otherwise Google seems to use a number type of value from a level object.

Matterport uses the same API for publishing but we can only see a string that contains our name entered in a tour for a floor. There should be a number we do not see and it is most likely starting counting from 0 for a ground floor.

So let me correct myself, you are better call them GL, L1, L2 etc in Matterport and they will be published with these exact level names. If you call them with longer than 3 letter level names(i.e. "Floor 1" Google will take a level number we do not see in Matterport and that's what is going to be displayed on Google elevator tool.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladsmuir
As I understand it in the US the level you enter a building on is designated as the ‘First Floor’ and ‘1’, the next floor is ‘2’ and so on.
We have a local hospital here in Ireland where they have installed an American manufactured lift/elevator. When you enter the lift at the building entry level there is a large ‘G’ on the wall. To reach the first floor above street level you need to press the ‘2’ button. You then emerge on a floor with a large ‘1’ sign. The lift speaks in an American accent and announces that you have arrived at ‘Level 2’. You see a lot of bewildered folk riding up and down in the lift/elevator unsure of when they should alight.

I think the best way is simply calling them exactly as shown on elevator buttons in a building you capture your tour in.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I've used Google 'Levels' to put together GSV tours where we wanted to link disconnected elements that were actually all at ground level.

So by facing all the 360's 'North' you can click from one to the next, or use the Level buttons, bottom right.

Example a Santa Clause experience on seven 'levels' clickable text

However to revert to the original point raised by @Queen_City_3D :

Assume there is a three floor building with a different company on each floor, all with Google My Business pages.

Each company has a separate Matterport tour created.

When you go to publish to GSV, does the suggestion in the first post above by @Wingman work

Which was:

"You need to call a floor "Level x" in Matterport where x equals a level as it is shown on Google. So a ground level is usually level 0. When you publish Google should check a level assigned to a floor in a tour and place it correctly."

I've done Matterport tours of multiple floors of an office building for separate companies, but they were not published to Google, so I wonder if anyone has experience of the outcome?

Do you end up jumping from one company to another?
Post 10 IP   flag post
101436 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?