Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 488 Unique Visitors
9,045 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 33,567 Page Views | 18,421 Unique Visitors | 26 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceBLK360Golf CourseScanningTips

How to scan a golf course?14107

WGAN Fan
Club Member
Bratislavska, Slovakia
JanHamorsky private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, the client contacted me with a request to scan the entire 9-hole golf course. Is it even possible in terms of a huge number of scans and open space with lack of 3D objects? Although, of course, it would be done with the BLK360. Have any of you already scanned a golf course? I've only seen GSV so far.

Thanks

Jan
Post 1 IP   flag post
browno24 private msg quote post Address this user
I dont know how the blk works. Have you ever done "targeted" laser scanning? I would set up targets along the scan path to use for registering the scans. Without knowledge of targeted scanning, that might be a challenge though.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Also, you'd have to rent a scanner to perform the targeted scan.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@JanHamorsky

I could imagine that the client wants the "scan" for marketing the golf course: not for the scan data.

Thus, a 360 tour is likely the cost efficient solution.

Here are two golf course examples:

1. golf course 360 tour example 1
2. golf course 360 tour example 2

You might shooting the 360s and outsource the post production.

Understanding client's exact use-case will help you decide how to proceed.

Does that help?

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
tmroberts private msg quote post Address this user
@JanHamorsky check these folks out maybe they can provide guidance.

Birdie 360

@DanSmigrod introduced me to them I think they're members here.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Wow, those tours look really good, especially the first one. If there is someone to take care of post production, maybe that is the way to go.
The high level laser scanners such as a Faro not only give you scan points but they also produce 360 photos. Most scanners now also have HDR abilities. I think it would be interesting to export those images, do some post production in lightroom, and see how they compare to professional 360 camera images.
I typically don't make any adjustments to the photos for my application. As a matter of fact, I typically don't even shoot my scans in color because it adds time and can be harder to view them in low lighted areas. I have to different scanners in my hands now though so maybe I'll try.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Bratislavska, Slovakia
@browno24 no, I've never scanned like this ... and it looks like I'll shoot that golf course into 360 ° photos and then have it processed by someone who does it professionally. Anyway, thank you for the advice!
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Bratislavska, Slovakia
@DanSmigrod most probably I will do it like you propose: I will shoot 360's and will outsource the post-pro.

I really like (and my client too) the way birdie360 does it. I'll contact them, maybe we'll come up with something together. Thanks @tmroberts for the good tip!
Post 8 IP   flag post
PickChuck private msg quote post Address this user
@JanHamorsky Here is a crazy idea....

Edit...Looks like that's the way Bird360 is already doing some of it. i.e. with the a drone. I do think one could do the entire course flying it. I was having a problem pulling up their site...My bad.

Do it with a combination of a DJI Mavic Pro 2 and a Ricoh Z1.

The DJI has a 360 mode I use all the time for the beginning of my Real Estate shoots.

Might do some testing to see what the best height might be but you could start at each tee and do a automatic 360, if its a par 3 then shoot between the tee and green. Par 4 then maybe two fairway shoots and one at the green.

You could then use the Z1 to shoot the interiors and link all those to the clubhouse, Resturant, pro shop etc.

Just a crazy idea. I think I'll go and shoot a hole the next warm day we have here in Tennessee.

Might be a good "new" market for all of us.

Cheers,

Chuck
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Bratislavska, Slovakia
@PickChuck not that crazy idea with the Mavic! I will give it a try, but I have to wait until the sun will come up here. We are in a deep winter time now with snow...

Thanks, Jan
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanHamorsky
@DanSmigrod most probably I will do it like you propose: I will shoot 360's and will outsource the post-pro.

I really like (and my client too) the way birdie360 does it. I'll contact them, maybe we'll come up with something together. Thanks @tmroberts for the good tip!

Please keep us posted.

And, congrats on the project. An entire golf course! Very exciting!

Dan

P.S. AFTER you are done with the project, you might consider going back with a proposal for PHASE II

✓ Shoot 360 Golf Cart CAM video with the Pilot Era - add the 360 video to Phase I and drip to YouTube and to social media
Post 11 IP   flag post
PickChuck private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod What a great idea. Do something that someone can't or won't or hasn't thought about.

That's the way to make money sir.

You are amazing

Chuck
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Bratislavska, Slovakia
@DanSmigrod everything is still in the process of negotiation, but once I have it done, I will definitely publish it here. Thanks for the good ideas!

Best, jan
Post 13 IP   flag post
101587 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?