Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Blue LinesGoogle Street ViewGSV

Capturing blue lines riding an electric bike14052

WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
That was my old idea that went through some iterations. I wanted to get an e-bike to get access to shared pedestrian paths, tracks/trails and a bike way in order to record a blue line. Then I got carried away and got myself an eclectic scooter instead. With the first try(model) of it I realised that with my weight of 106kg I'd need something more powerfull than the one with a rear 500W hub only.

I could not even get to a top of a small hill. So I swapped it for a dual motor 2000W model. This was a beast and could get me upany hill I tried even on half power.

After riding it a bit, see how people crack their bones falling from them due to ridding it with one hand for just a few seconds, some loose dirt on a road or even small rocks I realised that it'd work on a smooth clean path.
However since it'd never work on any trail/track I decided to go back to my idea to get a bike and I knew it'd better to be the one with fat 4" wide tyres. Anyway I got the bike from Alibaba, delivered, ridden for about 30kms already.

Now I am choosing where would be the best position to mount my Insta360 OneX or Pilot Era if it is going to be a paid gig. So there are a few options:

1) I have a cargo carrier at the back and a cargo BAG that sits on it tight. I can build a frame for the inside of the back the same way I did my backpack mount for my Era. That means that the camera will be right behind my back and above my head.

That way will probably hide my head and the top part of my body but legs and a front of the bike can be easily visible as the bike is quite big.

2)Another option is to mount it on the bike frame between its seat and handlebar. This way I may still see a bit of the front of the bike under a nadir logo, the back of it and may be a bit of me.

3)The third way it is to mount it on the handlebar.. somewhere on the middle. That should completely hide the bike front, but it will show more of the back and me.

There is one more when you simply mount it on a helmet but there are two huge disadvantages:

1) I won't be able to move my head freely with the capturing in progress. That means no way to drink water and looking around and it is a pretty much "look ahead only"
2)I won't be able to use the Pilot Era. With its weight sitting on your head I may get tired and even get some neck injury quite fast.

So what do you think will be the best place for mounting? I lean to the cargo mounting as I always can add a second point to the seat pole to hold the camera that has a frame base in the bag.

BTW, a 1000W bike that weighs about 30kg is not all that powerfull as I expected. Not even near half of the power on the 2000W scooter I have tried. However I am still happy as I can always pedal assist to get to the top of any hill. 4" fat tyres are fantastic, you can even go over big rocks with that and technically it is a mountain back with dual suspension. I have added a picture to see an actual bike.

Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Portland, Oregon
HelloPado private msg quote post Address this user
How much was the bike?

I think the frame from the backpack is the best idea. Just extend the camera higher. Like 1 meter above your head.

Best of luck
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
The bike was super cheap comparing to exactly the same but with a different brand printed on it. Mine costed me $1650 AUD in total with sea freight, the same sold in Australia is $2300 You can get a similar but with 250W hub for $1700 in Australia.

I believe in USD they were asking about $750 plus $300 something for two delivery costs(one for bike and another it for its battery)

A backpack with a frame which I did not even consider may be much easier as I have it already. The only problem it is quite humid these time of the year in Brisbane and the more you put on yourself the more you sweat. That's why I am trying to mount it anywhere on the bike.

1 meter above a head though would be to high and moreover it adds the risk of hitting a branch with the camera. When I used my backpack recording a blue line walking in a forest the camera was no higher than 28-33cm above my head. The result is quite acceptable and you can check how much of me you can see in the following tour

Post 3 IP   flag post
CharlesHH private msg quote post Address this user
Hi..if you are looking for extra power this could be interesting.Speedbox.
clickable text
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Portland, Oregon
HelloPado private msg quote post Address this user
pricey but amazing
Post 5 IP   flag post
101436 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?