Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Matterport 2019 New PricingMatterport KerfuffleSneakyTransfergate

Matterport Ends "Transfergate" Reports WGAN Members: Can you confirm?13697

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Screen Grab from Matterport Support page still shows no transfers allowed from Matterport New Pricing Cloud Accounts to Matterport Classic Pricing accounts, as of 9 am EST Thursday, 3 December 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Wingman
Some fo you may already know it but as of today 2nd of December a tour cannot be transferred from new plan account to a classic one.

Matterport Ends "Transfergate" Reports WGAN Members: Can you confirm?

Hi All,

The latest Matterport kerfuffle appears to be over and resolved in the favor of Matterporters.

Matterport has ended "Transfergate" - blocking transfers from New Pricing Matterport Cloud Accounts to Classic Matterport Cloud Accounts - reports WGAN Members.

Can you confirm this is true?

If true, the Matterport reversal came within 24 hours of a sneaky, no-notice implementation that left successful, early adopters of Matterport stunned, befuddled and upset.

Among the posts in the WGAN Forum announcing the apparent reversal:

Is Matterport blocking transfers from NEW to OLD Matterport Pricing Plans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by @mib94
Looks like they have indeed reversed it! I just successfully transferred two space from my Professional Plus account to my Classic account. It didn't advise me of any charges either!

How to export (Many) Matterport Tours and Host Them on Other Platforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by @lilnitsch
I am seeing rumblings in the MOUG that Matterport may have reversed this decision without explanation ~ So, you may see if you are able to transfer currently

At the time Matterport new pricing was rolled out (Thursday, 26 May 2019), Matterport executives promised on WGAN-TV Live at 5 - Town Hall: Matterport New Pricing - to give one year's notice of plans to sunset Matterport Classic Pricing. During that show, I had a lengthly exchange with (former) Matterport Chief Marketing Officer Chris Bell, Matterport Vice President of Product Management Damien Leostic. (Transcript) about a Matterport feature that enabled transferring of Matterport models to Matterport Classic Cloud Plan from a Matterport New Pricing Cloud Plan:

---

Dan Smigrod: Well, Damien, I need to push back a little bit because the transfer feature is presently part of the classic plan. It's a huge benefit to the existing Matterport service providers that have been around quite some time to say, "Oh well this would be a way that I am not capped with a number of models that I can host on my classic plan." If I really do have a thriving business and I'm processing with more than $69 a month, then it would make sense for me to add another account.

Dan Smigrod: Then at some point if you keep loading on membership benefits into the professional and business account, then maybe they would actually be a reason to switch. But in terms of keeping everybody happy who is a classic member, if you let us know that transfer would remain free for another year, then I think that scenario may resonate with a number of pros.

Chris Bell: Dan, I think it's a good suggestion. We're not going to make some feature and policy decisions on live TV, but we're going to go back and we're going to answer this question and we're going to answer it on your forum. Let's take it head on. I understand the use case. I also believe in my heart of hearts that as many of you start to use the new tiers and we start to add value to the tiers that you'll want to be at that level.

Chris Bell: But for now, I applaud the creative solutions to make what we have on the table work for your businesses today and I appreciate the flexibility. So if you're willing to work that hard to keep things in kilter for your business, I think it just shows a lot of passion for Matterport. So we'll do our part and go back and evaluate that exact question.[/i]

---

While the outcome of that discussion was fuzzy, it's likely many Matterporters assumed that Matterport would give a year's notice if it sunset the transfer feature that was documented in this WGAN Forum post:

How to game the new Matterport Pricing

Kindly confirm if you are - once again - able to transfer Matterport spaces to Matterport Classic Cloud Account from a Matterport New Pricing Account.

Additional thoughts?

Happy holidays,

Dan

P.S. As far as I know, there has not been an official statement by Matterport made on this topic, though I did suggest the following in a WGAN Forum post on Wednesday 2 December 2020:

Transfergate: I could imagine Matterport CEO Sending this Apology This Week
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
pixelray private msg quote post Address this user
I can transfer again.

My guess is that this was either a test run or else the backlash was too much.

But, it's safe to say this is something they are going to do at some point soon. Why else would this have happened? Maybe it was a test across the platform??? I'm guessing we will get the announcement very soon.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Louisville, KY
JohnLoser private msg quote post Address this user
How does this affect the "value" of a "Classic" account that one may want to sell/transfer to another entity?
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
I cannot transfer a tour out of a starter plan this evening

Post 4 IP   flag post
justinv private msg quote post Address this user
I have my clients get there own account and I upload directly to them for long-term storage. If it is a house on market, I will hold it for a little while. This has 2 great benefits, 1. I do not have to worry about having too many models and 2. Matterport never tries to get them to buy a camera because they think they already have one. To me, this is a win-win.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@justinv

Yes. That said, feels like a missed opportunity to charge for hosting, support and maintenance:

Tip: Offer Hosting, Maintenance and Support Instead of Transferring Spaces
Example of Charging for Matterport Monthly Hosting, Support and Maintenance
Tip: How to do automatic monthly billing
Question of the Day: What tool(s) do you use to automate recurring billing?

happy holidays,

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
So, sometime in the next year they are probably going to try to roll this back out I'd think.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
@Expertise - End of January seems to be their ideal time to throw logs on the fire after their shareholders demand fatter paychecks for the next fiscal year.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTLV
I cannot transfer a tour out of a starter plan this evening

I believe it's how it has been always. The quote from the support page Dan has posted above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matterport Support

However, spaces cannot be transferred OUT of a Free or Starter account. This is to prevent abuse by users uploading to a Free account and transferring out to avoid processing fees
Post 9 IP   flag post
justinv private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod

I do not feel that way. I never charged for hosting and did not mind it in my account when they never enforced the limits on the accounts. After that, I told them to get their own account and I transferred them out. When a long term lead comes around, the first question I ask them is do you have your own account. I tell them that's the only way I do them. Then I tell them to be careful of anyone else telling them they will host forever with or without a cost. I mention the first time they do not pay their monthly bill, the models go dark and can only come back from dead if that person pays the bill.

I might have lost a few gigs but most people are inquiring for more than Matterport. I might have lost 2-3 jobs that I can remember this year over them getting their own account. Too bad Matterport did not give affilate links!

I honestly have a hard time getting invoices out once a month, so that sounds like a real pain in the [tush] to me.

My goal is to actually get out of paying my Matterport account and solely using customers accounts to upload models.
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@justinv

Yes. I understand.

Perhaps we can respectively agree to disagree about having clients host their own models versus a Matterport Service Provider charge for hosting, support and maintenance.

Regarding a Matterport affiliate link for referrals, I can not even imagine why Matterport has not embraced this. Your business model is a great example of where this would be a win-win-win for Matterport, you and your clients.

Happy holidays,

Dan
Post 11 IP   flag post
101436 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?