Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 39 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
GearNewbies

Laptop: how much power to be able to do photo editing, virtual tours, and..13530

Floridaboy private msg quote post Address this user
So I'm gathering up my gear with cameras, lenses, 360 camera, tripods, memory cards, etc... and one thing I wanted to purchase was a laptop. Black Friday is coming up, so was thinking I could get something a little out of my price range on a discount.

My question is, how much power would I need to be able to do photo editing, virtual tours, and anything else necessary so I don't have to purchase a second laptop or upgrade if it's too slow?

Thanks in advance,

Steve
Post 1 IP   flag post
PickChuck private msg quote post Address this user
Mac 16” PowerBook and Max it out. 2 TB flash drive, 64 gigs RAM. Next to fastest processor.

I just replaced my last MBP 4 months ago with this exact specs.

My last one lasted 9.5 years and the only reason I had to replace it was the operating system could not be upgraded.

There will be lots of walling and nashing of teeth on this but it will save you thousands of dollars in the long run, hundreds of hours of frustration and your productivity will skyrocket. You will make and save money in the long run.

Oh, I forgot about the viruses you will not get.

On a different idea, if your editing will be done at home you can get more bang for your buck with an iMac. You don’t have o max out ram on them since it can be added when needed I like the laptops.

If you want to talk about this pm me.

As you can tell I feel pretty strongly about this.

Chuck
Post 2 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
RAM is the key, 16GB minimum to do video stuff.
Post 3 IP   flag post
cgraft private msg quote post Address this user
Any modern MacBook Pro will get you in the ball game. Something built after 2017. You will benefit from optioning the most RAM(memory)available.

The new edition of the 13" macbook pro that debuted 2 days ago might do very well at this, according to Apple. They have custom-designed the processor to perform better at tasks like rendering. In addition, it has a feature that nobody is talking about (and I can't understand why). WiFi 6!

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/13-inch-space-gray-apple-m1-chip-with-8-core-cpu-and-8-core-gpu-512gb#

As previously stated... You will need major hard drive space. So be prepared to pay upwards of $600 to have it built-in, or $100-$300 for external solutions.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@Expertise I completely agree that it will do it right now. Where will we be with 8k, 12k etc.

Video will not stand still for sure. Otherwise they could not sell us more stuff.

With the new MacBookPros you only get one chance to configure RAM. That is when you order it.

That's why I say max it out.

I use infuse for my HDR blending and the additional RAM I have is night and day over my last one that had 16 Gigs. (of course it had a much slower processor - but was next to the fastest processor available when purchased).

Again, an iMac might better serve your wallet at this point unless you really need to be mobile.

Chuck
Post 5 IP   flag post
@cgraft What a nice computer.

@Floridaboy Only you can decide on the model size. I had 17" models for years until they discontinued them. Then I had a 15" and had to add a monitor to edit at home.

I find the 16" to be a nice compromise in the field and on the couch at night but I have it plugged into a 24" external at my desk doing serious work.

I would love to find a used Mac monitor. The new ones are fantastic however they are 5K.

Even for someone rich like me that's a stretch. LOL

Chuck
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PickChuck
Mac 16” PowerBook and Max it out. 2 TB flash drive, 64 gigs RAM. Next to fastest processor.

I just replaced my last MBP 4 months ago with this exact specs.

My last one lasted 9.5 years and the only reason I had to replace it was the operating system could not be upgraded.

There will be lots of walling and nashing of teeth on this but it will save you thousands of dollars in the long run, hundreds of hours of frustration and your productivity will skyrocket. You will make and save money in the long run.

Oh, I forgot about the viruses you will not get.

On a different idea, if your editing will be done at home you can get more bang for your buck with an iMac. You don’t have o max out ram on them since it can be added when needed I like the laptops.

If you want to talk about this pm me.

As you can tell I feel pretty strongly about this.

Chuck

That would be my first choice if I had the money, but it might be too much for me at the moment. I do currently own an Mac mini 2.6 ghz dual-core i5 with 8gb 1600 mhz ddr3. Not too powerful,and not sure if it can handle what's needed. But it might in the beginning.

From your suggestion, looking now at the iMac with:
3.1 GHz Intel Core i5 6-Core (10th Gen)
64GB of DDR4 RAM | 256GB PCIe SSD
27" 5120 x 2880 IPS Retina 5K Display
Radeon Pro 5300 GPU (4GB GDDR6)

That one is $2800. 16 gb is $2k.

I suppose a better question is, is it a necessity or useful to have a laptop, or should I look into an upgrade desktop with more power than I have? I would think a laptop is useful for quick turnaround but not sure if simply finishing the day and coming home to edit and upload is a good enough workflow. I am just starting out, so I do not have a ton of clients just yet, so it may just be that I hold off on a laptop and work from home, if what I have now in a mac mini is good enough. To give you an idea of where I'm at, I am simply working with a theta v, looking to use metareal, buying a canon rebel 6-7 with 10-18mm lens. So I may not need to make a huge purchase just yet, but with black friday coming up, if I see a deal on a higher end computer for super cheap, it would make sense for me to buy it, to future proof, as you mentioned. That said, if I can just get by with what I have now, I would do that, until I make back my initial investment in equipment. On the other hand,I see a few hap laptops with i7 16gb under $1k that could be on sale in a few weeks that may just hold me over until I buy something more serious like a macbook pro 16", which I would ideally like to get but can't justify the purchase without knowing I have a sustainable business. So, that's where I'm at.

Thank you for the suggestions! I will pm you to talk more in depth.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expertise

That's what I was thinking would be my minimum. But what about processor? i7? i5? How fast do you think the processor should be?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgraft
Any modern MacBook Pro will get you in the ball game. Something built after 2017. You will benefit from optioning the most RAM(memory)available.

The new edition of the 13" macbook pro that debuted 2 days ago might do very well at this, according to Apple. They have custom-designed the processor to perform better at tasks like rendering. In addition, it has a feature that nobody is talking about (and I can't understand why). WiFi 6!

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/13-inch-space-gray-apple-m1-chip-with-8-core-cpu-and-8-core-gpu-512gb#

As previously stated... You will need major hard drive space. So be prepared to pay upwards of $600 to have it built-in, or $100-$300 for external solutions.

That 13" with 16gb would be $1700. That's reasonable. But I always wonder if that 13" is enough visual real estate, to be honest. Do you work with one that size? Is it a good solution?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Expertise I completely agree that it will do it right now. Where will we be with 8k, 12k etc.

Video will not stand still for sure. Otherwise they could not sell us more stuff.

With the new MacBookPros you only get one chance to configure RAM. That is when you order it.

That's why I say max it out.

I use infuse for my HDR blending and the additional RAM I have is night and day over my last one that had 16 Gigs. (of course it had a much slower processor - but was next to the fastest processor available when purchased).

Again, an iMac might better serve your wallet at this point unless you really need to be mobile.

Chuck

I hear you about futureproofing!

I was thinking of an hp laptop under $1k with 16 gb and i7 processor to just hold me over until I can justify a bigger purchase. That has been my thought process. The viruses, and software to purchase for it is why I am a mac guy, but the price point for just holding off a few months to see how the business goes is where my head was at. I do have a few clients lined up to get me going, but I was more a film/video guy in the past, so I'm new at the photography game as a professional and real estate specifically to be confident in the sustainability of income. Add to that, I will want to buy a drone soon, and there's always something else to purchase, well, I'm just trying to sort things out in my head. All this is very helpful. Thanks!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
@cgraft What a nice computer.

@Floridaboy Only you can decide on the model size. I had 17" models for years until they discontinued them. Then I had a 15" and had to add a monitor to edit at home.

I find the 16" to be a nice compromise in the field and on the couch at night but I have it plugged into a 24" external at my desk doing serious work.

I would love to find a used Mac monitor. The new ones are fantastic however they are 5K.

Even for someone rich like me that's a stretch. LOL

Chuck

Feel the same, Chuck. I feel like a 15" would be a compromise in terms of budget, but would prefer a 17" and even a 16" would be great. If my business justifies it within the first month or two, I will probably go that way.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Can we link here? clickable text. Hope that is not against policy in the forums.

I was thinking something like this would do for now, and waiting to see if black friday deals pop up with this or something similar.

But again, how essential is it to have a laptop at all? Could you get by without it, especially if you are not backed up with work, as a beginner? Should I just hold off until I actually feel like I'm falling behind without it?
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Floridaboy I understand where you are coming from. Unfortunately I have been there several times...

Here is a question: Is your Mac mini doing everything you need right now? Does it need more RAM?

I think I would shy away from doing any "Fast" editing in the field. It might set the wrong expectation.

I always ask "When do you really need the photos". If they want them in couple of hours then there is a "Rush" charge.

On the PC/Mac endless debate. I recommend Mac. But that's just me.

Chuck

P.S. Black Friday deals are not all what they are cracked up to be and usually a big compromise will sometimes really set you back.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@Floridaboy I work on a 15" personally, but in the past have used 13". I guess it depends on how good your eyesight is.

Mine is usually paired to dual arm-mounted 27" monitors, whether at home or the office. So I never really use the screen anyways. But the flexibility to be able to work from anywhere is appealing to me, so a laptop was worth the extra ~20% cost over a desktop.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@Floridaboy Before you buy ANYTHING. Make sure what you have will or will not work.

Good money after bad is not so good. Take it from someone that had done that.

Chuck

P.S. Mac mini's are actually pretty great computers.

P.P.S Look at this business like any other business, two months to turn a profit is a little challenging. Cut yourself some slack and prefect Stills and then grow from there.
Post 15 IP   flag post
You could take this a totally different direction and go with a cloud computing solution.

I personally subscribe to one & it's honestly quite the beast of a machine I can access for $30 a month.
The cloud computer I use is called Shadow Tech. You would simply install their app on your current mac mini. Here is the website: https://shadow.tech/

Note that with Corona, they are taking a while to activate new people. Mine took about a month to be online.

I hate making a shameless plug & I'm in no way affiliated with them. But if you sign up for it, this referral might save you a few bucks: COR6UILB
Post 16 IP   flag post
@cgraft That's an excellent idea. Certainly worth investigating.

@Floridaboy I would try your Mac mini, add ram if necessary and look into cgraft's suggestion.

For stills I suspect your Mac mini will be fine. Video's are not your money maker and for that matter neither are 360's. They are both add on and sizzle in sales presentations. The still photos are still king. However the longer this pandemic goes on the more the other too will help.

Just prepare to learn and add them. Please don't think they are necessary to start with. There is a learning curve in all of this stuff.

I would spend more time knocking on doors and selling yourself than worrying abut gear.

Chuck
Post 17 IP   flag post
Mine is a 2018 Pro 15 inch: i7 six core. I'm happy with speed.

I don't do a lot of video stuff tho, my wife does it.

Something like that will run you just over $2000 "refurbished" from apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaboy
Quote:

That's what I was thinking would be my minimum. But what about processor? i7? i5? How fast do you think the processor should be?
Post 18 IP   flag post
Depends on your mindset, I think.

I had 2 Mac Book Air 13s, then a Pro 13 and now a Pro 15.

Not a big deal to me.

I agree with PickChuck- hang on your current computer.

If you're looking a deal on Canon Factory Direct- 80D with 2 kit lenses for $799... 800 bucks

Quote:

That 13" with 16gb would be $1700. That's reasonable. But I always wonder if that 13" is enough visual real estate, to be honest. Do you work with one that size? Is it a good solution?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Depends on your mindset, I think.

I had 2 Mac Book Air 13s, then a Pro 13 and now a Pro 15.

Not a big deal to me.

I agree with PickChuck- hang on your current computer.

If you're looking a deal on Canon Factory Direct- 80D with 2 kit lenses for $799... 800 bucks

Quote:

80D looks nice. I'm thinking of a wider lens, though. Something like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/254771553179

They do have the 80D body https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-80d-body-refurbished

and other possibilities for a beginner like myself https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-rebel-t7i-body-refurbished https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-m50-body-black-refurbished

What would you say about those other models with a wider angle. And what must have accessories should I be looking for? Anything in a tripod? wifi/bluteooth capabilities? Filters? Panohead for 360? I'm starting out easy, but if there are things I should get regardless, I'll pay for it.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Yeah, $719 for an 80D is great. Crop frame Canon- Personally, I'm a 10-22 man. I have a 10-18 you can buy for a deal if you want.

The mirrorless Canon's are pretty good but, I dont think they offer an affordable wide angle lens yet.

Tripod- basic 190/290 Manfrotto for me.

Where are you in Florida?
Post 21 IP   flag post
This is an interesting and helpful discussion.

As it evolved it is looking more about getting started from ground zero and not “what laptop will do video”.

With much respect to someone starting a new business I would recommend one of the courses on here or watching the videos.

1. Get a camera and a lens suited for Real Estate.

2. Keep your current computer setup.

3. Get business.

4. Grow into more offerings.

Make since?

Chuck
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Yeah, $719 for an 80D is great. Crop frame Canon- Personally, I'm a 10-22 man. I have a 10-18 you can buy for a deal if you want.

The mirrorless Canon's are pretty good but, I dont think they offer an affordable wide angle lens yet.

Tripod- basic 190/290 Manfrotto for me.

Where are you in Florida?

I'll pm you about lens.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
This is an interesting and helpful discussion.

As it evolved it is looking more about getting started from ground zero and not “what laptop will do video”.

With much respect to someone starting a new business I would recommend one of the courses on here or watching the videos.

1. Get a camera and a lens suited for Real Estate.

2. Keep your current computer setup.

3. Get business.

4. Grow into more offerings.

Make since?

Chuck

I would politely point out that originally the post was about "how much power would I need to be able to do photo editing, virtual tours, and anything else necessary", which dovetails into someone starting a new business. But that's the beauty of forums. As responses come in, new questions arise. I'm in a course right now, and thinking of taking Ben's course, possibly Eli's. But maybe I didn't clarify my situation enough. I also do marketing, media buying, and in the market for a laptop, regardless. But I was wondering if I should upgrade right off the bat to handle both marketing, and any photo/video/virtual tour work on the go. Hence, the question about how much power. I can get away with 12 GB pc laptop which I can get on a budget, especially with black friday coming up, but if a deal for a higer end laptop comes up where I can afford it on a sale price, it might be worth it to pony up a few extra hundred bucks and not have to get something new later on. But what you've helped me with is to see that at where I'm at now with real estate photography work, I don't even need to think about that right now. My Mac mini will do. And I have a few clients already lined up, so if things work out the way I'd like, a purchase for a Macbook or whatnot in the future could be justified. It's easy to put the cart before the horse and chase good money with bad (is that how the saying goes?).

Anyways, that's a good 4 point bullet point! And exactly the plan. I like this forum so far, and glad to be a part. Hope to be able to contribute to others when I'm in that place.

Cheers!
Post 24 IP   flag post
101421 24 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?