Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 473 Unique Visitors
9,022 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 40,828 Page Views | 20,383 Unique Visitors | 44 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
DJI Mini 2DroneQuestion of the Day

Question of the Day: DJI Mini 2 a viable option for a real estate Pro?13484

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Video: DJI Mini 2 First Flight and Impressions | Video courtesy of Billy Kyle YouTube Channel | 4 November 2020

Video: DJI Mini 2 | How to FLY DJI Mini 2 | Video courtesy of DJI Tutorials YouTube Channel | 4 November 2020

Hi All,

The WGAN Forum Question of the Day for Thursday, 5 November 2020:

Is the DJI Mini 2 a viable option for a real estate photographer that wants to add drone photos and video?

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
DC Rainmaker included some sample images with his video:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wrGMkAGAt61WKKfH1afRhPJ8gVpNGo7s
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
I will most likely liquidate my Spark & 1st Gen Mavic Mini to pick up this little bird.

I think it will be a really good "B" drone ~ I always carry two drones
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
There are currently 3 Fly more Combo's available at my local Bestbuy

e combo's
Post 4 IP   flag post
Shawn_P private msg quote post Address this user
Hmmm, may be worth cashing in my Phantom 4 pro (which is like a kite in the wind) and my spark. Need to check out it's flight time...
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@Shawn_P

Marketing says 31 minutes of flight time ~ Actual if similar to my current mini will be in that 24-25 minutes depending on conditions of course
Post 6 IP   flag post
Shawn_P private msg quote post Address this user
@lilnitsch Thanks man.
Post 7 IP   flag post
PickChuck private msg quote post Address this user
@lilnitsch You Rock sir for posting this

I have been flying a DJI Phantom Pro 3 since the came out. It has paid for itself many times over. I have a the first inspire and don't fly it anymore.

I kept waiting for a 5 or the Mavic 3 or the EVO II to come out with 360 pano built in.

This has the same sensor as the Phantom 3 and I am pleased with that for Real Estate stills and the occasional video. Yes would I want a better sensor sure...however as we all know we can find flaws that others never see especially on mobile devices and computer screens.

So....this might work for me as it does have the 360 pano / 26 photos (at 11:08). Which is what I really want to connect with my front yard 360 VR shoots.

I am driving to reinvent my Real Estate world. Make it smaller, shoot faster and make more money.

Here is my proposed set up now.

Stills
Fuji X-H1 (Will get the H2 if the HDR works for me)
Fuji 10-24 (On order - sold this when I got my Fuji 8-12. Missed the ability to do detail shots in one lens. Currently changing lens just to do the kitchen and other detail shots.

Pano's
Ricoh Z1

Walk Through Video
DJI Pocket 2 (On order)

Drone stills and aerial 360's
Mavic Mini2

All of this can fit in a small case and I can keep it with me at all times.

Looking at this for ROI and time.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Chuck
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Boxborough, Massachusetts
toddwaddington private msg quote post Address this user
Now that they've added DNG a no brainer for back up drone.

Also, I believe because of it's small size, it can be flown on the DL for non-FDA approved situations. Flying over crowds and so forth. I'm a Part 107 pilot and don't take big chances, so I'll do my homework before doing anything crazy. There are a number of reasons to pick up this little guy.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@Shawn_P ~ Not a Problem

@PickChuck

My daily drone is still my Mavic 2 Pro (I have too many drones) but, I like carrying 2 as a just in case and I like these small little drones as they can give you some more interesting shot opportunities or let you into some tighter spaces you might not be able to get a bigger bird into

For stills I am shooting on the Sony a6400 with a 10-18mm

Video I am actually shooting on the iPhone 11pro Max with the Crane M2 gimbal

and Aerial I primarily use my Mavic 2 Pro or occasionally my current Mavic mini or when flight isn't possible my 1st general Osmo Pocket on my monopod on top of my tripod. (I had a shoot last spring where the rear fence was literally the runway fence)
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@toddwaddington

Agreed ~ But, for folks that may be confused just because the Mavic Mini & Mini 2 are under that 249g if you are using either of these drones for monetary purposes (getting paid) this triggers a commercial use of the UAV and requires a Part 107
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
I don't do much with the "Food & Drug Administration" but, I get what you're saying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwaddington
it can be flown on the DL for non-FDA approved situations
Post 12 IP   flag post
@lilnitsch I think you are I are on the same page. I always carry backup's on a shoot (actually haven't been on the drone to be honest).

I like what you are doing with the monopole. I just found a extending pole at a clearance place that has an adapter going from paint rollers to 1/4 20. I have been using my Z1 on it. I bet I could do the same with the Pocket 2 (when it arrives).

I'll keep my master Fuji case and my phantom 3 case in the truck but make up "Real Estate Case" for that work.

Cheers,
Chuck
Post 13 IP   flag post
EaglePrecision private msg quote post Address this user
Aside from all the obvious advantages (lower cost, portability, DNG format, etc.) it has higher speed which translates into higher wind resistance + it uses Occusync which translates into higher signal reliability and higher live image resolution. It also has a digital zoom. Note that the built-in 360 sphere mode won't fill in the sky (zenith) because the max upward gimbal angle is 20 degrees.

On the minus side, you should note that it doesn't have any side sensors to keep you out of trouble with trees and other objects like it's bigger brothers do.

For a professional photographer, though, the biggest factor to consider is the size of the camera sensor which is 12 MP, 1/2.3". I was using a Mavic Air with this sensor and the images just don't compare to my Mavic 2 Pro or Phantom 4 Pro 1" sensor cameras. It's a similar comparison to shooting 360s with a Ricoh Theta Z1 vs an Insta360 One X.

I can almost match the level of resolution and detail of the Phantom 4 Pro images by processing the Mavic Air DNGs with Topaz Gigapixel AI and Lightroom, but they're still not at the level of the Mavic 2 Pro's images which have superior dynamic range and detail sue to the better sensor and lens quality. I have both a P4P V2 and a Mavic 2 Pro - as a result, I haven't used the Mavic Air in months (anyone interested in buying it?). My fallback (B drone) is my Parrot ANAFI Thermal (dual cameras) which I use occasionally when I get locked out by DJI geo fencing (refer to separate discussion on that).

To clarify the point about FAA requirements, as per @lilnitsch, you need to have a Part 107 license to fly a drone for any commercial purpose, but you do escape having to register the drone with the FAA and paying a $5 annual registration fee when it weights less than 249g.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@EaglePrecision

I am an early adopter on technology. Always have been. This may or may not live up to my expectations. I have wasted money many other ways. LOL

I don't completely disagree and will probably add a Mavic 3 when it comes out or an EVO II to my airport. Leaning to the EVO II right now.

I also help on some search and rescue as I live on a lake and would like to have a camera that has an infrared camera. I can see the lake from my deck and could be up and flying in a minute and walk there and be lakeside in another minute. So one of those are probably in my future. Currently the EVO II will not do an automatic 360 so it's not what I need to fill this particular need.

In my case I want quick 360 aerial panoramas that I can link to my 360 VR walkthroughs and simple stills for elevations of the front and back yard. The marketing material says it will shoot 26 images and blend them from what I am reading. I hope it will also leave the 25 images on the camera so I can do that my self in PtGui if necessary.

I have been doing this with my Phantom 3 pro for years and it's a pain. Dan remembers when I was doing this with TourWrist. How many years has that been Dan?

If this aircraft doesn't live up to my expectations I'll send it back as I just ordered one from Amazon and it will be here tomorrow.

I'll post images if that will help anyone. It will keep me honest.

On the "For a professional photographer" statement, I am a former Navy Officer and pilot and would fly and my partner would shoot aerials with Hasselblad's or Mamaya's. I understand quality and have been a photographer since 1976.

I say match the tool to the task. That's all I am getting at. If I had unlimited time and was handsommly paid, I would fly one of the Matrice birds.

I shoot for some good realtors and some broke ones. I pride myself in providing a quality service that helps all of them make a living.

You and I are on the same page with using the Topaz suite of tools.

Anyway, would it be possible for you to fill out your profile on the forum? I would like to see some of your work. I am always up for learning.

Cheers,

Chuck
Post 15 IP   flag post
I like the EVO II and might get one to replace the Parrot ANAFI since I haven't had any use for the thermal camera. Would you be interested in purchasing it?
Post 16 IP   flag post
@EaglePrecision I'll think about it. I seem to be stretching myself too thin these days.

Like that's shiny, I want that. I can make money with that. LOL

I like that on the EVO II it's modular and one can just change cameras. I would buy the EVO II today if I could do auto 360's with it.

Typically, when I purchase something it "causes" another product to be upgraded. Look for Autel to upgrade the software on the EVO II because of my purchase. LOL

The Parrot does look like a nice bird and many people are using it for commercial work.

Thanks for contributing to this forum.

Hope you are doing well,

Chuck
Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Saugatuck, Michigan
fotoguy private msg quote post Address this user
Most of my work is on the shores of Lake Michigan. We often get higher winds with gusts off the lake. I have the P4P and Mini. I have found the mini just doesn't cut it in stronger winds. One day it actually was blown away and crashed. Luckily, it stayed on and I could follow the GPS to find it. Now I have attached a Tile tracker to the top of the mini so I can track if need be.

I will say it is great for getting into tighter spaced around a house surrounded by trees. The other advantage is you can crash several of them and still be under the cost of a P4.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I hate to lose a drone to wind or trees. I like the mavic 2 & P4P in tight spaces because of their side sensors. I was going to buy a Yuneec H520 to fly in the winds (we get a lot in our Cape Fear region off the ocean & river) but I found that the P4P is pretty strong. Just a few days ago, it was hanging in with 30+ mph gusts - it would tilt almost 90 degrees and I could see the landing feet in the live image but it stayed in position and the gimbal kept the camera level & steady.
I've had neighborhoods where people get all upset about having a drone fly in their vicinity (I have signs on my truck) so I've used the Mavic Air to quickly sneak in & out - it's small (not as small as a mini) and quiet and can be carried in a small bag.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@fotoguy Great idea about the Tile tracker. I'll be doing that today.

I have them in all my guitar and camera cases. Just never thought about the drone.

That's why I love this place.

Cheers,
Chuck
Post 20 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Saugatuck, Michigan
fotoguy private msg quote post Address this user
I used heavy-duty velcro. Small piece and you can feel it snap into place. You can't put a price on piece of mind.
Post 21 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Billy Kyle's Sample footage off the Mini 2:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1CRTgGrIk_muY9Yb19X85TWuFHtrFNLev
Post 22 IP   flag post
@lilnitsch Thank you sir.

I'll shoot a pano as soon as I can. I have a house shoot tomorrow at 3pm. Got to love working under pressure. LOL

Amazon says it will be here before 9pm tonight.

Chuck
Post 23 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@PickChuck

Selling my Spark this afternoon ~ I may pick up a fly more kit at my local BestBuy
Post 24 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
In possession

Post 25 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@lilnitsch

Cool! After you take it for a spin, can you start a new WGAN Forum discussion with your first impressions?

Please do include some examples shot.

Enjoy your weekend,

Dan
Post 26 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: DJI Mini 2: Is It Good For Photographers? | Video courtesy of Billy Kyle YouTube Channel | 6 November 2020
Post 27 IP   flag post
@lilnitsch @DanSmigrod I have one too. On chat with DJI as I am having trouble with the app. Got to love it.

Chuck
Post 28 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Currently, charging batteries ~ with luck I will not have any rain tomorrow
Post 29 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@PickChuck

The Mavic mini, Mavic Air 2, and this new little mini 2 run on DJI’s fly app not the Go4 app
Post 30 IP   flag post
101268 47 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?