Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 823 Unique Visitors
9,049 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,558 Page Views | 18,831 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Apple 3D Image ScanningCanvasGeoCVOccipital

3D-scanning Canvas app shows what iPhone 12 Pro's lidar can do13437

WGAN Standard
New York City
Jonathan_Klein private msg quote post Address this user
Video: Canvas: 3D Scanning Now Fits In Your Pocket | Video courtesy of Occipital HQ YouTube Channel | 29 October 2020

CNET (29 October 2020) 3D-scanning Canvas app shows what iPhone 12 Pro's lidar can do | House-scanning app Canvas works with lidar on the iPhone 12 Pro, but also scans without it. The difference is accuracy.

House-scanning app Canvas works with lidar on the iPhone 12 Pro, but also scans without it. The difference is accuracy.

"The iPhone 12 Pro's depth-scanning lidar sensor looks ready to open up a lot of possibilities for 3D-scanning apps on phones. A new one designed for home scanning, called Canvas, uses lidar for added accuracy and detail. But the app will work with non-pro iPhones going back to the iPhone 8, too.", said CNET.

"The approach taken by Canvas indicates how lidar could play out in iPhone 12 Pro apps. It can add more accuracy and detail to processes that are already possible through other methods on non-lidar-equipped phones and tablets," said CNET

https://canvas.io/viewer/9WeH-j0O?instacad

"Apple's iOS 14 gives developers more raw access to the iPhone's lidar data, according to Occipital's VPs of Product Alex Schiff and Anton Yakubenko. This has allowed Occipital to build its own algorithms to use Apple's lidar depth map to best use. It could also allow Occipital to apply the depth-mapping data to future improvements to its app for non-lidar-equipped phones.", said CNET

Read the full editorial by Source: CNET
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
@Jonathan_Klein

So, Pricing question. If I am understanding this correctly this average sized home would run approximately $60 plus $15 for a 2D floor plan. How long does the model remain viewable online & is it embeddable and/or shareable?

Post 2 IP   flag post
Houston
briangreul private msg quote post Address this user
I played with Canvas pretty extensively a couple of years ago. I purchased their Lidar bolt on for my iPad at the time. I was not impressed. It's really targeted towards scanning people to make little game pieces or other things. It's also good at scanning a kitchen and there is a whole sub-market of users in the remodeling space.

The model lives on your computer as you do the processing locally. It can be viewed on the web if you upload it to one of a few sites.

It had alignment issues and memory limitations.

When the iPad Pro 2020 came out I tried Canvas again as I still own the app. It did not work. So maybe they finally updated it with the iPhone 12. I wouldn't expect much to have changed with the rest of the application ecosystem.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Try this one https://apps.apple.com/us/app/3d-scanner-app/id1419913995

It seems to choke(crush) on high resolution scans but it generates a 3D model directly on your device. And it is a damn good one. No need to pay anyone and it seems you can share it or import your model.

You can still scan in Hi-Res and it only crushes if you have a lot of data and you have been scanning with resolution much less than 9mm(default)
I scanned two walls in my kitchen at 3mm resolution and it did not crush. Now it is texturing it in hi-res and it says it will take 12 minutes.

If I find a way to share here I will post a link.

When I tried to do the whole kitchen at 3mm resolution including ceiling, floor and all walls it was crushing on me trying to open and show it on the iPad screen. With 9mm resolution there were no problems with processing and showing it in 3D at all.
Post 4 IP   flag post
richardbollands private msg quote post Address this user
I would be very interested to hear from anyone that has used the ipad / iPhone lidar scanning and gad an autocad.dwg file from it - I am an architect and I'm looking for 0.5-1% as a minimum but cant currently justify the cost of 3d laser scanner for my as built projects.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Screen Grab of LinkedIn post by Anton Yakubenko
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbollands
I would be very interested to hear from anyone that has used the ipad / iPhone lidar scanning and gad an autocad.dwg file from it - I am an architect and I'm looking for 0.5-1% as a minimum but cant currently justify the cost of 3d laser scanner for my as built projects.

Let me know what format you want from the listed for 3d Scanner App at https://apps.apple.com/us/app/3d-scanner-app/id1419913995 and your email and I will send it to you. At least comparing to Canvas it costs nothing.
Or if you have an ios device with Lidar you can try it yourself.

I do agree that commercial LiDAR systems cost a lot. It is even more surprising to me after I saw OEM LiDARs that seems to be much better by specs than the one in BLK360 and they cost from a few 100s to 3000 top.
Post 7 IP   flag post
richardbollands private msg quote post Address this user
Dan, thanks for the article!

Wingman, I need 2d .dwg files for use with Autocad LT, so I'm not sure if the app provides that? Unfortunately I dont have an iPhone or ipad to try this out. I have seen some oem lidars but I haven't really investigated them properly so far as my architecture business is so busy!!
I have been trying to use my Insta 360 camera to dip my toe since March!
Post 8 IP   flag post
101604 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?