Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 837 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 35,106 Page Views | 19,195 Unique Visitors | 29 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AprilTagsLargeMuseums

Large space scanning13363

Standard
Sarasota, Florida
BlueImmersiveMedia private msg quote post Address this user
Greetings et al -

I've read over the years about scanning large spaces and the limits that Matterport has. Ive scanned spaces with a few hundred scan points as one MP file. But, always with caution and duplicating the file as a backup.

* What is the max SQFT or scan points you have done? What did you do?

* My understanding is that MP Support can help to stitch multiple file together. Has anyone done this? What is required?

Ive seen large scans, I have a 9K and 10K shoot coming up. There is alot of data in these scans, its not open space, Im wondering if that makes a different.

I wanted to ask the wise forum for insight. Examples please.

Thanks in advance.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Houston
briangreul private msg quote post Address this user
Not a problem. I've done 88K in a single day with no issues. I did have to deal with some misalignments. Big spaces require you to have a strategy, to optimize the camera height, to minimize the number of scans needed for a good model.

I recommend managing expectations, having AprilTags ready to go if needed, having a bag of doorstops, having a charger for your iPad and camera to plug in when you stop for lunch on scans over 4 hours. iPad is good for about 5 to 6 hours and camera will go longer, but *I* need a break after 4 hours and it helps to charge devices.

I regularly do 28K floors in commercial without challenges. A 28K s/f floor is about 300 to 400 scan points depending on if it's empty or has furniture.

Typical spacing is 4 to 5 paces or about 8 to 10 feet.

You do need to understand the process, it's limitations and quirks to be successful.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Standard
Sarasota, Florida
BlueImmersiveMedia private msg quote post Address this user
@briangreul Thank you for the reply.

This is a museum, so the number of scan points is a bit more, and there are objects that need to be the point of focus. What is the max scan points you have done in one file?
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
JuMP private msg quote post Address this user
Here is the recent biggest showcase with more than 1000 points of 10K Sq.Meter.
https://www.wegetaroundnetwork.com/topic/13280/page/1/matterport-space-of-a-hotel-1000-scans-of-100000-sq-ft/
Post 4 IP   flag post
101629 4 4
This topic is archived. Start new topic?