Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 40 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
BlogiPhone

Matterport Blog: You Don’t Have to Wait for iPhone 12 to Capture in 3D.13337

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Matterport tour courtesy of Matterport | Shot with Matterport Capture app on an iPhone | "#3: Emergency Preparedness: With raging fires, floods and hurricanes, it’s time to capture a 3D digital twin of your home and document what's most important to you. Check out this model and read how to prepare for an emergency with a free Matterport account and our Capture app for iPhone," says the Matterport Blog.

Matterport Blog (16 October 2020) You Don’t Have to Wait for iPhone 12 to Capture in 3D. | Walk through these 12 spaces and get inspired to Matterport a space with the iPhone and iPad you already own.

Your thoughts?

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
Letsshoot private msg quote post Address this user
I don't understand Matterport's strategy. They market their services to photographers and now they are going the direct route to the photographer's prospective clients. Why would you risk antagonising some of your customer base?

The videos shown were quite noisy and had quite a lot of stitching errors. But I suppose the question is if it's free would you hire a professional photographer to do a better job or would you overlook the flaws? Maybe some customers wouldn't even notice.
Post 2 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
Most of Matterports clients see blog posts like these and start investing in new platforms like 3D Vista.
Post 3 IP   flag post
EaglePrecision private msg quote post Address this user
You can't really blame them for expanding their market to every day consumers in the face of intense competition from other platforms (e.g., Asteroom is doing the same thing with their 3D Tour Kit). Their primary responsibility is to their investors, not to MSPs.

It's an unfortunate fact of modern business that there is a constant threat from advancing technologies - those that adapt, survive.

On the technical side, I wonder how accurate their measurements really are compared to others claiming accuracy by utilizing the Lidar capability of the new iPad Pro and, soon, the iPhone 12.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglePrecision
Their primary responsibility is to their investors, not to MSPs.

No, I don't share this view. MSPs pay Matterports monthly bills, not investors. And MSPs create great content with the Matterport platform, not consumers with their iPhones.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I see Matterport getting stuck in the middle.

If I want superfast and very precise 3D meshing of small spaces and objects I will probably be using apps like polycam or canvas for iPad pro and soon for iPhone 12 pro. For large spaces I have to use the BLK360 anyway. And there is also

And if I want to create professional 360 tours with endless design possibilities and hosting flexibility I will be using professional 360 photography setups with software like 3Dvista which is getting better with new features every month.
Post 6 IP   flag post
101421 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?