Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 406 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 32,418 Page Views | 18,255 Unique Visitors | 24 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
FlickrProblems

Mattertag "Can't find media" Flickr problem13161

tinsoldier private msg quote post Address this user
Hi,

I'm having a very frustrating issue where Mattertags are often failing to find my Flickr image media. When I put the link in I get the error: "Can't find media. Please check URL". The URLs are fine. Seems to be a bug, as I've seen the images work in the tags, just erratically and most often failing if I want to change the image in the Mattertag. Painful!!

Anybody had issues with this?
What image hosting sites do you find works best with Mattertags (and do not add any website banners/logos in the tag)?

Thanks for any advice
Post 1 IP   flag post
Alternatively I have found that using a link to any .jpg file works consistently as long as the link ends in .jpg, but why does the mattertag always overlay my text on top of the image (example attached)??

Thanks for the advice
Post 2 IP   flag post
skretnica private msg quote post Address this user
Hey
from Flickr
"Thank you for reaching out to us here at Flickr - my name is Becki and I'm happy to help 👋

I'm sorry for the trouble here. When I click on the link provided (https://flic.kr/p/2jL59dL) it takes me through to your image on Flickr, which suggests that the issue isn't with the link itself.

At this time, I have reached out to our engineers about this for further investigation to see if this is a problem that can be fixed on our end. I will be in touch once I have an update for you.

In the meantime, I recommend that you also reach out to the support team at Matterport directly to see if they're able to better advise. You can do so here: https://support.matterport.com/hc/en-us

Thank you for your patience at this time.

Best wishes,"
Post 3 IP   flag post
Finally, Flickr is working
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Video: Matterport ShopTalk #9 | New Features and Updates & Part 2 of Customizing your Model | Video courtesy of Matterport YouTube Channel | 14 October 2020

@tinsoldier

Starting at 48:30 in this Matterport Webinar ShopTalk video:

Haakon Erichsen

I have another one about Mattertags. So is there a way to upload several photos to a single Mattertag? And there may be a service that allows that, that you can use through Embedly which is the way media meta tags work today, but I'm not aware of exactly which one that would be. That's not something that we see a lot. You can use links. So you can add several links in there, but not actually have the full photo. What I will say is, this is a problem that we are looking into in general. So sometime next year, we are looking to improve meta tags and make things like using images in Mattertags easier. So stay tuned for that.

Amir Frank

Yeah. And just as a workaround also. You could have images as pages in a PDF document for example. It's not a great workaround, but for the time being you could do that and just embed the PDF. When you embed a PDF in a Mattertag, it does allow you to actually scroll through all the pages in that PDF. The only problem is where you're going to store the PDF. So if you do have some kind of web space online, you can easily put it there. But I haven't really found a great solution like you would have for photos and things like that to host the PDF. But yeah, if you've got some web space and go to GoDaddy and just get some of that, put it in there, and then you can link to that PDF.

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I have been trying to explain it many times on MOUG. You need to provide a link that returns an image in binary format and most of image hosting websites do not do it.

if you follow your link https://flic.kr/p/2jL59dL you will see that you are getting an HTML page with a flickr menu and an image displayed. That means you are not getting only image in binary you are getting HTML(text format) which is apart from creating the menu with HTML tags also displays the image. That's not what Matterport expects. It should be an image only and nothing else.

I have found a direct link to your image in their HTML code and you can use the following URL https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50381848292_47ec244b94.jpg to display your image in a tag. However you need to know how to find that URL in their code and there is no guarantee that Flickr one day won't change their HTML code and it will stop working.

The flickr support person does not seem to know what the problem is. There is nothing wrong on their end, it is you who are using their link incorrectly. They have built their pages so people that come to their site using their links can interact with images, go through galeries to see other images, open a new account etc. If they had pointed to an image only it would have been a dead end for users with nowhere to go apart from going backwards.

If you have your own website just upload the image there, get the direct link to it and use it in a tag. It can be easily done with wordpress hosting and may be even you can do it with Wix one.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
@Wingman - It's getting old isn't it?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman

If you have your own website just upload the image there, get the direct link to it and use it in a tag. It can be easily done with wordpress hosting and may be even you can do it with Wix one.

Yeh thanks, its all sorted now, this is what I ended up doing.
The overlapping of the text on the image at the top is still a pain though. Hard to imagine how Matterport lets poor UX issues like this through... its the kind of thing I'd expect from an alpha/beta. They drastically need to increase the functionality and usability of their mattertag system.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
Exactly. It's nit THAT difficult to drill down and get the image URL.

Click the Share icon, then click Embed. Copy/paste the embed code and extract the direct URL.

This is not Matterport's fault/problem it is user error.

Not sure what's up with the text box overlaying your image. Could it be something to do with the image's shape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman
It should be an image only and nothing else.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I corresponded with Flickr, Matterport, and Embedlly
Flickr itself recommended embedding this short link ..
Mattertag saw it as a media file and the text did not cover the image ..
But now I see that whatever image you link to the tag the text does not cover it ...
a reason to celebrate
Post 10 IP   flag post
101704 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?