Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
HoverHow toMeasurementsMetashapePix4D

Need to get accurate measurement of external13155

Belfast, United Kingdom
3dshowcaseuk private msg quote post Address this user
Hi

Does anyone know of a method I could use to measure the external sizes and dimensions of a house to allow the owner to redesign the external cladding etc et
Post 1 IP   flag post
Virtual360guys private msg quote post Address this user
Following this one, I have a laser level but tough doing it single handed when there are no end walls to bounce off
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Screen Grab from interactive HOVER Demo

@3dshowcaseuk

Is this a viable option?

Forbes: 3D-Model Of Your House (Exterior) With Your Phone with HOVER

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
Belfast, United Kingdom
3dshowcaseuk private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks Dan this is certainly interesting and I will have an in depth look at their software. If it works well it could be another revenue stream, as so many people are renovating homes right now
Post 4 IP   flag post
EaglePrecision private msg quote post Address this user
The new Pix4D Capture app seems to be a possible option for this using the new iPad if you need to stay on the ground. With a drone using Pix4D Capture and uploading the images to either Pix4D Cloud or DroneDeploy, you can get a 3D model that provides relatively accurate measurements (and even volume), particularly if you include a reference measurement in the photos. Not cheap, though.

If you want cheap and are good with software & 3D modelling, get Agisoft Metashape for your desktop for $179 and process the images yourself. Planning the photos capture and using certain options in the software when processing, you can ensure measurement accuracy.
Post 5 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
Dan, I pulled up the previous blog and saw that you tried it, how did your model turn out? The reason I was asking was because you switched to a wide angle lens. Just wanted to know if the results were fine.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Dan, I tried to pull up the links to view and came up with a sign in link. Can you share the model?
Post 7 IP   flag post
@Virtual360guys I did this before and if you use a sturdy cardboard box you can place it at the corner and proceed to the next corner and measure the exterior lay out fast and by yourself. Just place the box on the ground protruding from the house which will give you a flat surface to shot to.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@ron0987

Here’s a house I tried Hover app

I did this so long ago, I do not recall if adding a wide angle lens mid-shoot affected anything.

My impression is that real people use satellite imagery to finish the model.

Have you/will you try and share your results?

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod Thank you looks good. I have not tried it yet but will be trying it on my house to see if it would be option to provide the service. Has your business had any interest in the service.
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@ron0987

I rarely shoot these days.

WGAN Forum is my full-time gig.

Dan
Post 11 IP   flag post
101428 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?