Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 823 Unique Visitors
9,049 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,558 Page Views | 18,831 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceNewbiesScanning

Ricoh Z1 vs. Pro2 Scanning Speed + Some Zillow Questions12999

kaplan private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All - I'm considering starting a photo/video/3D scanning business for residential real estate and this forum has been extremely helpful. I have a short list here that I haven't been able to find answers to and hoping some of you can offer some wisdom. Thanks so much!

How much faster is Matterport scanning with a Ricoh Z1 monopod setup compared to Pro2? I've heard estimates for the Pro2 of around 1 hour per 1,000-2,000 SF...but not sure if that also applies to the Ricoh Z1?

Are there speed benefits to using a maxed out iPad Pro when using the Ricoh Z1? Compared to a regular iPad/iPad Air or a lower spec iPad pro?

How long does a Zillow tour take approximately per sqft?

Is there an approval process for Zillow tours - can anybody connect a 3D tour to any listing...or does the listing agent have to approve within their profile?

I've heard that having a Zillow 3D tour increases traffic by 2X - is there any data to support this? Additionally, does Redfin/Zillow/Realtor.com publish any hard data about the effectiveness of having a virtual tour on sale price or DOM for a listing?

Can a Zillow 3D tour be done in advance of a listing going live - and if so, for how long will it stay in their system? Do Zillow tours stay active on listings after closing? Can they be removed?
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Boxborough, Massachusetts
toddwaddington private msg quote post Address this user
@kaplan

These are great questions. Looking forward to seeing responses.

Todd
Post 2 IP   flag post
Nadir Patch
and MP2Edit
Lima, Peru
tresdepro private msg quote post Address this user
Following 😉
Post 3 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
Ok now I am interested. I think Photo capture would be faster but not sure about the capture APP processing.
Post 4 IP   flag post
purplejesse private msg quote post Address this user
I have questions about the end viewing quality of image Rico Z1 vrs. Matterport camera.
The Richo is much faster to shoot with but how do the two compare to the actual viewer of the tour?
Thanks.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
So, in my experience as far as Matterport is concerned you will not beat the Pro2 in overall tour quality with the Z1. I found with the Z1 (or any 360 camera) you usually need to have more scan positions and REALLY pay attention to any misalignment errors that popup during capture. I have gotten some decent quality out of the Z1 but, it is not a Camera I use as a Primary camera for paying jobs, I typically will use it to help fill-in exterior spaces when connecting homes to detached spaces

As far as the Z1 for Zillow 3D home tours the Z1 is my daily work horse. An average 2,500-3,000 SqFt home on average can be captured in about 15-20 depending on people and/or pets that may be on site. The backend editing is minimal just connecting panos

Matterport Camera Comparison

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=Y7WR8bABsGh (Insta360 One X)

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=xkzi7yo69Lt (Theta V)

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=r6aVWDGSuTE (Theta Z1)

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=z39a3a6VyXj (Matterport Pro1)

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=6o7wvBpXShR (Matterport Pro2)

Couple Z1 Matterport examples (Last one was during the beta has some yellowing in the hallway)

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=1VucZPwDKcN

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=CxW1RTJ5tCY

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=cbyGqspm8eK
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@kaplan

I shoot a Zillow 3D home tour on ALL improved properties I shoot. Zillow DOES boost properties that have a Zillow 3D home tour and or Video

Zillow verbiage:

Zillow 3D Home Tours and/or video tours give listings increased visibility on Zillow, up to 50% more views!

· Homes are boosted in Zillow's search algorithm and additional email notifications are sent to potential buyers.

· "77% of sellers find it very important that their agent use a 3D tour or video to market their home" (2018 Zillow Trends Report).

· These benefits can help you win listings and find more qualified buyers on the nation’s leading real estate marketplace!
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
The market is really hot in my Market right now and most homes I am shooting are under contract in less than a week currently
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@kaplan

Zillow 3D Home Tours can be done before a listing goes live:

Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Zillow 3D home tours also get published to the Trulia listing as Zillow owns Trulia
Post 10 IP   flag post
@lilnitsch This is all great insight, thank you!

My question here is more about the speed of the Z1 vs the Pro2. Did you happen to time yourself when doing the Sotheby's office comparisons? I found a thread that claimed the Z1 takes about 20 minutes/1,000 SF. That's significantly faster than 1 hour/1,000-1,500 SF that seems to be the standard speed of the Pro2?

https://www.wegetaroundnetwork.com/topic/12366/how-long-for-a-2000-sq-ft-ish-home-with-ricoh-

I can see the Pro2 quality is better in your example of the Sotheby's Office - but I wouldn't say the Z1 quality is poor - only that in a comparison situation, the Pro2 might be picked as superior to a discerning eye. I think I'm still leaning towards the Z1 setup unless you think the speed estimates are way off? I'll be scanning relatively large homes and doing this as add on service to photo and video - average 4,000 SF - sometimes up to 8,000 SF - so time savings is very valuable to me.

Also - it seems the Zillow benefits (increased traffic from boosts in their algorithm)come exclusively from Zillow 3D tours and not Matterport (which are still visible on Zillow listings, but not as apparent on the listing itself)?

Since it seems like the Zillow 3D tour is pretty quick and simple - do you offer it as a free add on to a Matterport scan? Do you ever offer it by itself at a cheaper cost if the agent shies away from a more expensive Matterport scan?

Seems like a Zillow 3D tour should be on every single listing - a 50% traffic boost is a big bonus on a site with as much traffic as Zillow. But I don't believe Matterport scans will show on listings that have a Zillow 3D tour. Has this ever come up as an issue with a listing agent? Is the increased traffic worth not having a superior Matterport scan visible on the listing on Zillow?
Post 11 IP   flag post
@lilnitsch forgot to mention - Zillow claims the 50% boost also applies if a listing has a video. If I'm doing video for a property - it probably wouldn't make sense to also do a 3D Zillow tour since it's already getting the boost from having a video?

Basically, optimal situation is to have a pro video + matterport tour for a Zillow listing and skip the 3D Zillow tour since there is no added benefit to having a pro video AND an inferior 3D Zillow tour?
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@kaplan I am kinda skimming the thread above (on my cell waiting on an agent)

Time wise it would be about a wash as you’ll probably want more scan positions with the Z1 for a clean model

I include the Zillow 3D home tour as I charge a minimum fee to show up & I currently do not offer a stills only package
Post 13 IP   flag post
@lilnitsch Not to beat a dead horse here but this Zillow page claims 2X videos, which is a 100% increase in traffic? And no mention of benefits from having video on a listing.

https://www.zillow.com/agent-resources/webinars/capturing-free-easy-3d-home-tours/

Where did you see 50% cited?
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
The Zillow 3D home tour lives front and center on Zillow & Trulia ~ video is currently Zillow only and drops all the way down to the bottom of the photos ~ also listings with the Zillow 3D home tour show up with a 3D icon on the map search they also pop out in the list view
Post 15 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
@kaplan if you want to start a business with Matterport I would always go for the Pro2.

With the Pro2 you get much better snapshots and Matterport gives you access to download 2D floorplans and the Matterpak. In-tour measurements and 3D accuracy with Pro2 are also much better than from 360 cameras.

And I would always go with the latest iPad Pro as it speeds up a little bit but more importantly it opens the possibility to create x-large tours with +500 scans in one model.

Did you guys know, that Matterport is now integrating the Insta360 One R as the 4th camera to one click capture? This could be an affordable high quality alternative to the Theta Z1.
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@MeshImages

From what I have seen of the Insta360 one R twin edition ~ it’s about the same quality as the one x
Post 17 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
Hi @kaplan!
I am a bit late to the conversation, but I figure I will throw in my 2 cents. So here goes...
Based on my current business, about 60% of my revenue comes from traditional photography, 20% from virtual tours (Matterport and Zillow 3D Home) and the remainder from other (video, aerial and virtual services). Also, most of my new clients engage me based on photography services and video, not Matterport.
That being said, This is how I would spend my limited funds.
1. Camera, wide angle lens, accessories (extra batteries, case or bag, memory cards, cleaning supplies), tripod and software. $1000-$1500
2. Gimbal $200-$400
3. Theta Z1 and iPad for both Zillow and Matterport. $1800
4. Drone with extra batteries and case. $2000

As for how long it takes to shoot a tour, for me, it takes me 1 hour to scan 3000 sqft with a Matterport camera and I can scan 5000 sqft in the same amount of time with a Theta Z1. This is after the property has been staged. Your mileage may vary (I have been doing this since 2014 and have well over 1000 models scanned). So, let's say it is 40% faster with the Theta. I also have a higher scan density when using the Theta. Probably an additional 10%-15% as compared to when scanning using a Matterport camera.

For Zillow tours, a 2000 sqft house can be done in 10-15 minutes.
Post 18 IP   flag post
101602 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?