Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 488 Unique Visitors
9,045 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 33,567 Page Views | 18,421 Unique Visitors | 26 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
MuseumsSchools

Scanning a 200,000 sq ft school12971

WGAN
Standard
Chicago
rzphotoman private msg quote post Address this user
I was asked to create a 3D tour of a large high school. It is almost entirely on one leve, except for a weight room upstairs from the gym. I haven't visited the school yet for a walkthrough but wanted to know if anyone has done a project like this before, or suggestions on how to approach the project. They definitely want Matterport. Here's a link to a school that they sent me as an example of what they saw and liked. They weren't necessarily interested in the voice over: https://www.sjjtitans.org/cms/One.aspx?portalId=280063&pageId=827883
Thanks.
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Cayman Islands
Harrycayman private msg quote post Address this user
Hi

i have done complete universities . Of course that was a lot of separate buildings.

But For instance the main sports hall was around 16000 square feet and that took about 210 scans.

I guess you can start your scans and see if capture app keeps taking them. Once it gets o certain level i know i have done over 700 scans in one model.

You may need to do it in a few models and then hope Matterport can stich it.

Harry
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@rzphotoman

All WGAN Forum discussions tagged: Large

Is that helpful?

Why do they "definitely want Matterport?"

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I have done a big government college which includes a lot of educational spaces, student service spaces and commercial ones(cafe, restaurant, denture clinic) that are used for training. It contains a lot of Matterport models with about 2500 scans in total. I submitted them all to google maps. Then I joined all of them together in a mega GSV tour through the outdoor campus path(that alone has 330 panos) I also did for this client.

The mega tour has got more than 550 000 views in about 13 months. The client is not using the Matterport tours at all. Their representative who hired me to do it left the college and told me it would be really hard to find anybody there now who would care to take their 3D models and publish them on their website.

Have a look at it at https://goo.gl/maps/hky9WpxrCQEkiir36 This is a start point with a lot of walk ins into some buildings over two street blocks.
Outdoor path have been done with a Theta V and all indoors have been done with a Pro2

I also have done a free custom tour in Pano2VR for my kids state school. It was published on Google Maps about 2 weeks ago. Google has some problems with GSV and the tour is only visible on Maps as donuts and under my profile but does not appear under the school listing. Here is a link to it https://goo.gl/maps/aGMBniwqiRdhjfyp8 I have not passed all files of their custom Pano2VR tour to the school yet.

I believe that some schools may not have such a big budget to do all school spaces in Matterport. And sometimes they do not even want so much details. I have a request from another local state school to do a 360 tour. We have agreed with their business developer that it is more beneficial and more economical for them just to do hot spots 360s instead of scanning every 2-5 meters. Then they can be joined together into a tour in Pano2VR.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
rzphotoman private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the advice everyone. From looking at the sample they sent me, it appears that multiple models were stitched together to accomplish what they did. Probably by Dee at Matterport. Is there any other service that can stitch the models together or is waiting weeks for Matterport the only option for that.

The reason they want to use Matterport is because that's what they saw and they like the way the Matterport walkthrough flows.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Houston
briangreul private msg quote post Address this user
I regularly do 20K to 100K spaces. Here's what I can share. Sorry it took me a couple of days to reply... have been really busy this week.

1) take the best iPad you can. Active ram is one of the limiting factors. An iPad Pro 2020 (6GB of ram) and 1TB of storage seems to have issues at around 1200 scans. Between 900 and 1,000 scans will process as best I can tell. Processor horsepower is the other limiting factor on your ipad. The processing limit seems to be 24 hours. If it won't finish in 24 hours it will fail.

2) The larger the space, the more likely you are to have alignment issues. Take the AprilTags from Matterport and combine all 4 sets into 1 set and then save it. Print them off. You can use one tag in one model, so you are limited to 200 of them Max in a model. Hold that thought for strategy.

3) You need to have a strategy on how you will scan and divide a space. Failure to do this will cast you in to the pit of alignment hell. The time to strategize is before you are having alignment or splitting issues. If you are going to split a space pick something that is easy to spot/remember and then make sure to get a good thorough scan of it in both models to facilitate stitching.

4) I like to walk a space before hand and discuss how I want the space setup, things they should deal with that aren't photogenic, and to figure out how many issues I'm likely to have. The more setup you can push to the client, the better. Lights on, blinds open / raised. Windows cleaned, trash removed, confidential information hidden, computers locked.... Doors unlocked and propped open or able to be propped open when you get to them. No one thing will sink you, but opening blinds in a big space or having to be the door stop guy will ruin your efficiency.

5) Discuss people in photos and *EXCLUSIVE* access to a space if they don't want the issues in the scans. Nothing kills a job like having the window washers show up to clean the space you are working on... or maintenance deciding that *now* is a good time to replace lights and test switches on a floor that has been vacant for 5+ years. I also can't express enough aggravation at janitors who take turns making cameos or the nice lady who maintains plants deciding that while you are shooting the lobby is when she has to pull every leaf off the plants in the lobby and throw them in a puddle of water on the floor that she just made. Yes, I've had these things happen. I'm really nice the first time I say something and get closer to being Honey Badger the more times I have to remind them that it's not a good look for their property.

6) As far as scanning you want to work what I call a "progressive edge" to minimize alignment problems. What doesn't work for me is going all the way around the perimeter. Almost guaranteed to have an alignment issue by the time I finish. Say for example a typicaly commercial office building with a core of elevators/stairs/etc. I will work from the center out in about 50 foot increments on each side. When I get to the ends I will do a little of each side until I meet in the middle. This generally works well. Almost all large commercial facilities have some variation of this issue.

7) Deep links are another work around to stitching multiple models that make them navigable. A deep link takes you to a specific place in a model. You can use them in MatterTags to link models. Example: Warehouse and Office with common door or breezeway. Deeplink on each side that takes you to the other. So you click in the office to go "through" the door to the warehouse. Vice versa to go back. This is particularly good for multiple buildings where you can't scan from one to the other.
Post 6 IP   flag post
VirtusRealis private msg quote post Address this user
I'm amazed at how many stations you guys can fit in one single space ! Reading the manual, I had thought that the app would deny scanning after 200 stations.
I have to scan a 500m long (1600ft)technical gallery next week (320 estimated scans). I was thinking to divide the site in 2 spaces and link them afterward. But now, I know that I can have it in one single space. Thanks !
Do someone know which is the largest number of stations ever processed ?
Brian says 1200 !
Post 7 IP   flag post
101587 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?