Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 25 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Business InsuranceBusiness LicenseBusiness PlanFireHow To

Getting a Business license before starting to charge?12914

Jacksonville, Florida
thereal360 private msg quote post Address this user
Do you need a business license to start working in the corporate space?
I am considering shooting for my apartment complex i live in. They don't have Virtual tours. Now I am wondering if I need to setup the business first? As of now i havn't done any paid tours yet. I assume with Realtors for example they might not have a problem with. But as a bigger Management company? Any advise for USA.
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Boxborough, Massachusetts
toddwaddington private msg quote post Address this user
@thereal360

My partner and I have an accountant whom I really trust. I asked him about forming an LLC or other when I first started. He told me that I should concern myself with making money before I spent money. That was a couple of years ago. I have recently formed an LLC.

That said, business insurance should be your first thought. As a freelance person you are responsible for paying taxes on your income. It’s on you as to how above board you will be (should you be audited, etc.). I’m not suggesting you break the law, I’m merely sharing what my experience is.

Taxes are one thing, liability is the other. I include drone photo/video in my business and I like to know I can tell my clients I am insured. Anyway, talk to some folks and see what they say.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Jacksonville, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwaddington
My partner and I have an accountant whom I really trust. I asked him about forming an LLC or other when I first started. He told me that I should concern myself with making money before I spent money. That was a couple of years ago. I have recently formed an LLC.

That's what I heard and was concerned with as well... But my girlfriend just told me when I said I wanted to approach my apartment complex with an offer to do 360 for their rentals that they might need me to have a business license.

I also heard about freelancing. Not quit understanding that from a business perspective... You register somewhere as a freelancer? You fill out a form and get a tax ID for your freelance activities? How does that work?
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
@thereal360

Before you entertain any of my thoughts, I'd suggest you just start googling Florida State laws. Working in the arts (which is technically anyone on this forum in the broadest sense) does not require anyone to obtain a license. I am an Equity actor. That means I can't audition for community theatre or I could be slapped with a big fine. However, a non-Equity (Actors Union) actor can audition for whatever they want with no penalty.

I am no expert in this arena, so please ask around and do more research. However, as an artist, you can ask propose something to your landlords. I might do a small offering for free to get their interest. Make them an offer. They can always say no, but they'll be more interested in you GIVING them something, then worrying whether you have a license. Sometimes a license provides legally binding stuff (like my Part 107 UAS license to operate my drone, and sell photographs among other things--there are many regulations and responsibilities to holding this license. When I discovered that only a licensed drone pilot can legally sell images, I obtained my license).

I plodded my business out. I started out slow--and not super organized. Working with a real estate agent just doing drone work for her. I offered my images for free because she was a great teacher--tough--and it really helped build my confidence. I built a business website via Wordpress and a great tutorial. I still have a lot to learn. As things started to progress, I saw that virtual tours were becoming a real thing. I did a lot of research and it appeared that Matterport (for all of its pros and cons) seemed to be the best marketed service, and the Pro2 Camera offers the quickest highest quality--for commercial work. I would not call it an "artist's" camera. For art, get a DSLR and pick up 3DVista or Pano2vr.

THEN I formed an LLC and purchased insurance for my investments (and liabilities--I might have purchased insurance sooner).

I would now call myself a "rising professional". Certainly not flawless. I have a lot to learn. I know you didn't ask for all of this. But, I wish someone had shared a few words like this with me when I was asking the question you are asking. I don't think the photography police are going to come after you if you ask your landlord if you can shoot some 360 tours for them.

That said, a legit business (sole proprietor or LLC) will make you feel a little more legit. If you are not married, you might be ok with sole proprietor. And that is cheap. There are lots more questions that I don't have the answers to. Just offering my 2 cents.

Good luck!

PS, re "freelancer". Just means I'm not tied down to someone else's business. I don't think it's a legal term. But yes, as a freelance worker you are an independent contractor. It's more about how you file your taxes. You'll need to file a 1099 and claim your income. Ask someone else about that. lol
Post 4 IP   flag post
Jacksonville, Florida
Well, it is a 2 fold thing for me...
A) obviously I want to be abiding by the law... or at least be in a gray zone (lol)
B) My girlfriend thought that a business (My Apartment company) might require me to be, and I
quote: "Registered and paying taxes"

So i am researching now what exactly a "FREELANCER" is and what the legal status is of it...
Do you just register as a Sole proprietor? And then you can call yourself a Freelancer... Is this just a different word for Sole Proprietor?
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
check out the link I provided about freelance vs independent contractor. So far as I know, freelance just means you are on your own. I don't believe there is anything legally binding. Sole proprietor is official. But, I think it's all in that link.

Check out sole proprietor.
Post 6 IP   flag post
101646 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?