Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Pro2RainReal EstateRealtorsScanningStrategy

Matterport residential scans and the rain12901

BenAdgie private msg quote post Address this user
Greetings all!

I wonder how everyone handles a scheduled scan on a rainy day? We perform Matterport scans and generally do a full walk around the exterior with panos. We switch to DSLR stills on a rainy day but curious if the forum has any best practices or tips to share.

Happy scanning
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Boxborough, Massachusetts
toddwaddington private msg quote post Address this user
Hello @BenAdgie

Do you mean walk around 360 views or actual scans? If scans, overcast should make it easier. In one of my first jobs I was hired sight unseen to scan a dentist office facility. As it turned out, there were two unconnected floors. Doh! I tried to scan up the side of the building but the blazing sun about 40 feet from the front door made it impossible.

Later I thought, an umbrella may have allowed me to get through that direct sunlight passage. I realize this is the opposite problem, but perhaps related.

I haven't tried it, but it seems to me that if it's not torrential, you should be able to walk around the Pro2 (of course, won't work with other cameras unless you work out some sort of ingenious rig) while holding an umbrella high enough that perhaps only an edge will show?

I dunno. Just thinking out loud. I'm sure you have already consider something like this.

Todd
Post 2 IP   flag post
SiteTour360 private msg quote post Address this user
As long as it's not windy and rainy, you can put a piece of plastic over the camera so that rain drops will drain off...see video. For extended use in the rain an umbrella type of cover would be best.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Ghagendorf private msg quote post Address this user
I would not do it in a hard rain and I would not let my camera get as wet as the one in the video. I have had luck with putting a waterproof bag over the camera when I am moving it and setting up. When I thank the bag off I have an umbrella over the camera and it protects the camera and is not visible in the scan.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
rzphotoman private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure why anyone finds a need to scan in the rain.
Post 5 IP   flag post
101429 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?