Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
LegalMatterport Capture Services ProgramQuestion of the Day

Are Matterport Capture Technicians™ actually Matterport Employees?12765

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Screen Grab: Matterport Capture Services Webpage

Hi All,

The WGAN Forum Question of the Day for Monday, 10 August 2020:

Are Matterport Capture Technicians™ in the Matterport Capture Services Program – actually Matterport Employees?

While I could imagine that Matterport paperwork that "Matterport Capture Technicians™" are required to execute likely says something to the effect that the Technician is an Independent Contractor and for clarification is not an employee, I read this news story today:

Reuters (10 August 2020) Judge blocks Uber, Lyft from classifying drivers as contractors in California

As much as I would like to see Uber and Lyft drives classified as contractors, the California judge (so far) thinks otherwise. And, I could imagine that whatever the ultimate ruling in this case will apply to Matterport (and retroactively).

I could imagine some of the factors that would be considered are:

1. Does Matterport decide when and where to report? (yes)
2. Does Matterport decide compensation? (yes)
3. Does Matterport require a Matterport Pro2 3D Camera? (yes)
4. Does Matterport describe the Scope of Work (yes)
5. Does Matterport describe how to do the job (likely)

What are your thoughts? Are Matterport Capture Technicians™ actually Matterport Employees?

Best,

Dan

The New York Times | California is suing Uber and Lyft over drivers’ labor status, seeking back wages.
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
Chemistrydoc private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod

Yes, they are absolutely employees, as they fail the "three question test" as you outline above (actually expanded to 5). It's a slimy move, and, guess what? Their model is failing (see article below):

clickable text
Post 2 IP   flag post
Axis360Media private msg quote post Address this user
I think we are employees since we captured all the data they used for developing cortex AI.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
And doesn’t the Matterport contract even prohibit scan technicians from providing scan services independently?

That goes even beyond Uber and Lyft.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Home3D

About ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Home3D
And doesn’t the Matterport contract even prohibit scan technicians from providing scan services independently?

I would like to know if the Matterport Capture Services Agreement has a:

1. Non-Compete for just the client that the Matterport Capture Technicians™ has received an order
2. Non-Compete for all clients that Matterport has in the Capture Services Program
3. Other?

Hopefully, someone that is familiar with the terms and conditions of the Matterport Capture Technicians™ will post an answer here.

Best,

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Hi All,

I could imagine that Matterport is paying close attention to this headache producing ruling as it relates to "its" Matterport Capture Technicians™ ...

NPR (22 October 2020) Uber And Lyft Must Make Drivers Employees, California Court Rules

"A California appeals court says Uber and Lyft must classify their drivers as employees rather than independent contractors, siding with a lower court that found the ride-hailing companies were likely violating state labor law," writes NPR.

California voters may bring relief to Matterport in California ...

"In the meantime, California voters may decide on the law's future because it's on the November ballot. A measure backed by the companies, Proposition 22, would allow ride-hailing and food delivery apps to keep their drivers as independent contractors while giving them limited benefits but not the full protections of employment status," writes NPR.

I could imagine that we will see more lawsuits in other states that might classify Matterport Capture Technicians™ ... Perhaps that will result in yet another class action lawsuit against Matterport.

Your thoughts?

Dan

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
Axis360Media private msg quote post Address this user
I believe not only are these technicians employees, the whole situation is unfair business practices. It’s part of my lawsuit.
Post 7 IP   flag post
101436 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?