Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 1,001 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 33,924 Page Views | 18,799 Unique Visitors | 25 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
VideoVirtual Reality

Matterport Video: What is New and Coming in Matterport Virtual Reality12764

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Video: Shop Talk 4: Comparing 360 cams to Pro 2. Views, the new VR mode, HLR tool, and Capture Services | Video courtesy of Matterport YouTube Channel | 5 August 2020

Matterport Video: What is New and Coming in Matterport Virtual Reality

Hi All,

In this Matterport ShopTalk video (above: starting at 00:15:00), Matterport Chief Architect Håkon Erichsen shows and tells about what is new and coming to Matterport Virtual Reality (VR). Spoiler Alert: Matterport meets Oculus Quest.

A transcript of this portion of the show is below.

Have you experienced Matterport on Oculus Quests? Your thoughts?

Best,

Dan

P.S. I encourage you to watch the entire Matterport video.

---

Transcript (VR Segment Beginning at 15:00 in to the video above)

So Håkon, thank you very much for taking the time to join us this morning. Can you tell us a little bit about your position, what you do for Matterport?

- Of course. So my name is Håkon, I'm the chief architect of Matterport. That means I have done a lot of stuff over the last couple of years, but mostly now I'm responsible for our showcase workshop and VR tips.

- Great. All right. Excited to learn about VR and what's coming down the road with the HLR, let's get to it.

- Alright, next slide please. Okay.

So one of the reasons we keep improving our VR mode is that it's one of the most engaging ways to look at spaces.

So with the new VR mode, we recently launched, we're making the experience even better. We'll show you a video in just a bit what that looks like. 'Cause I know not that many people have this headset yet, but we've made it a lot better and a lot more engaging. One of the cool things about the new VR mode is that no app is needed.

Essentially anyone who has one of these headsets can go to any space on the web and just click one simple button to enter into VR.

So you don't have to install any applications. Your customers don't have to install applications. They just go to your showcase model on your site and click enter VR.

As I'm showing in this video. So do keep in mind that we actually recommend Oculus Quest. We also support Oculus go for this new VR modes.

Oculus Go is no longer sold. So we strongly recommend getting an Oculus Quest headset and recommending that for your customers as well. So let's go ahead to next one. And I'll share a little bit of what this looks like. So we're here in the browser, this Oculus browser and let's find some models. I like the destination everywhere gallery.

So let's try to find that Matterport everywhere. There it is. I like this one, the national gallery. And the first thing you'll notice is on Oculus we showed you this huge ENTER VR button. So there's no doubt about where you should click and click on that, you're in VR.

And so one of the first things you'll notice is how you navigate around just like in showcase, using the four bucks, just pointing next to one of them. And you'll see very clearly which one you are going to. So in the old VR apps used to have these kind of floating spheres around that you had to tend to stare on. And so now it just looks just like showcase.

The other thing I wanted to point out is the quality, so on Oculus Quest, we're able to use much higher resolution so we can actually use the high resolution panoramas to show you these.

So you can actually see these paintings like really, really detailed. You can almost read the plaques, not quite, not from this distance, but the imagery is really, really vivid.

Let me show you one other model real quick. Dream homes, French castle. So I want to show you this one, number one, just because it's a really large models.

I just wanted to show you that it works even for really large models, but also have a couple of features more that I wanted to show you.

So one is that previously, if you wanted to turn around in the model, the only way you could do that in VR was to actually turn physically. But if you were sitting down, that could be, a little bit cumbersome.

It depends, if you're on a swivel chair at all and you can't do it. And even if you're on a swivel chair, you might not actually be able to, maybe there's something behind you.

So, now you can just use the thumb stick when you're seated, which makes it much less strenuous to be in VR and also just be seated as you already are exploring in VR.

The other thing I wanted to show you is over here, and that is that VR mode now has support for 360 views.

And so this is something that our customers have requested a lot because the 360 views are usually of the prettiest parts of the house where like the outside and just like this, where is like this. So that's really all I want to show you, now you know what the VR mode looks like. Thanks for listening. All right.

So what you just saw that was basically me walking through a couple of models in VR. So that's what that would look like. if you have an Oculus Quest and you liked the models or any of your customers do.

So just a quick recap of what we just saw. So the new VR mode has an even higher visual quality. So we're able to utilize the full resolution of the new Oculus Quest, which kind of blows the old VR experiences we've had away.

You can walk anywhere in this space. And so this is actually a little comment just for anyone who has used our old VR applications. You used to be able to, or used to have to define these kinds of VR, special blue spheres that you can work to. And that's all gone.

Like now it just looks like the normal viewer. So users will kind of know what they're looking at. We also have support 360 views in VR now.

And often request a feature and we have a much better seated experience as well. Usually you would have to either stand up or sit on a swivel chair in our VR experiences.

While now you can just use the controller to turn around. And so just one last thing on VR is why are we doing all of this? Like I said, in the beginning, VR is one of the most engaging ways to look at our spaces and your spaces. So we actually have some data on that as well.

So you would think that, these better VR experiences would get better engagements, if you go to the next slide Amir, and what we actually see is that viewers spent 50% longer in VR modes than what they did in our previous VR applications.

So the VR mode with Oculus Quests, is turning out to be just a really great upgrade to our VR line. So if there are any questions about VR, feel free to drop them in the chat and I'll be answering them later or by replying in the text swap.
Post 1 IP   flag post
CrazeVR private msg quote post Address this user
I don’t know about matterport but I just had a US Senator is a VR virtual tour using other software of a city we did and loved it. We used VivePro so quality oculus is more portable so go for that it’s worth it. Since we have a VR arcade it makes sense to use the high end pc and Vivepros
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Video: Introducing Matterport's New VR Mode | video courtesy of Matterport YouTube Channel | 5 August 2020
Post 3 IP   flag post
101720 3 3
This topic is archived. Start new topic?