Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 837 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 35,106 Page Views | 19,195 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
CannibalizeMarketingRicoh Theta Z1SalesStrategyVersusZillow 3D Home

Will Adding Zillow 3D Homes Cannibalize Your Matterport Business?12741

OneFineDay private msg quote post Address this user
I just started working with Zillow 3D Home with a Theta Z1.

I can see offering it as an add-on for those agents who have stated emphatically that they do not like Matterport.

I am wondering if the agents who currently use me for Matterport shoots will see that I am offering Zillow 3D tours and will begin to order a Zillow 3D Home add-on in place of a Matterport 3D Walk Through.

I would appreciate any comments and thoughts on this.

Thanks.
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

The Innovator's Dilemma

@OneFineDay

There is an entire book on this problem/challenge:

==> The Innovator's Dilemma

Companies like Blockbuster went out of business because they did not focus on their customer needs/wants/desires.

"For this reason, the next generation product is not being built for the incumbent's customer set and this large customer set is not interested in the new innovation and keeps demanding more innovation with the incumbent product. Unfortunately this incumbent innovation is limited to the overall value of the product as it is at the later end of the S-curve. Meanwhile, the new entrant is deep into the S-curve and providing significant value to the new product. By the time the new product becomes interesting to the incumbent's customers it is too late for the incumbent to react to the new product. At this point it is too late for the incumbent to keep up with the new entrant's rate of improvement, which by then is on the near-vertical portion of its S-curve trajectory," says The Innovator's Dilemma Wikipedia entry.

If you focus on what's best for your clients, in the long run, you will come out ahead.

If your client(s) switch to Zillow 3D Home only, then:

1. A competitor did not steal a client from you with the same tactic
2. You can/should charge for Zillow 3D Home (plus, you have no processing/hosting charges from Zillow
3. With the money your client saves, offer additional Add Ons

When Apple came out with the iPad, they risked business moving to iPads instead of laptops. They were focused on the customer; not on pirating their other business units.

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
Chemistrydoc private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod

Another feature of the Zillow 3D Home that most folks don't notice is that you can share a link for an unbranded tour. Which, of course, means that you can create completely "sanitized" links through WP3D Models with all of the customization features provided therein - the hero shot alone differentiates you from the next guy.

Also, it seems that these things are hosted in perpetuity, as the first one I ever created can still be accessed through their "share" link, even though the property sold over 18 months ago!

I'm even playing with using it for lots and land that are for sale.....

Keith
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Chemistrydoc

Awesome points.

Sounds like you use a Hero Image in WP3D Models - say, the front of the house - that is different than from the tour. That's cool!

Yes. Advantages of Zillow 3D Home include:

1. free (no processing or hosting charges)
2. white label version
3. moves listing up in Zillow search

Kindly review this WGAN Topic and comment there:

==> Zillow Considering Offering a Tool for Creating Digital Floor Plans

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
@DanSmigrod

Dan,

That's exactly what I do- I can further offer a single page property website through WP3D Models, maximizing my investment in both products.

Heading to other Topic now....

KF
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
rzphotoman private msg quote post Address this user
Most of my clients are now hosting my Matterport 3D Walkthroughs on Zillow. In over 1200 homes scanned, I've never been asked about a Zillow 3D option.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
@rzphotoman

I hear what you are saying. However, the Matterport 3D does nothing in terms of Zillow rankings (the Zillow 3D Home boost provides double the number of views as a similar listing with no tour). And, Zillow buries the Virtual Tour link to the "More Information" area, which is hard to find.

No reason not to do both!

Keith
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Chemistrydoc

Zillow will display one or the other: not both.

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
@dansmigrod

Beg to differ:

clickable text

The Matterport "displays" as a link on the Other Interior Details area

Keith
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
rzphotoman private msg quote post Address this user
@Chemistrydoc The Matterport 3D tour link is front and center now on Zillow listings in my market. Top left corner of hero shot. clickable text
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Chemistrydoc @rzphotoman

I am confused...

@Chemistrydoc

On your listing, I do NOT see both Matterport Tour and Zillow 3D Home tour. Can you post screen grabs?

@rzphotoman

I only see the Matterport Tour. (That's great!)

--

I do have an out-of-state Zillow listing where the Pro shot both Matterport and Zillow 3D Home.

When he - or the agent - posted the Matterport Tour, it showed up (as in @rzphotoman) example. When he - or the agent - added Zillow 3D Home tour, the Matterport tour dropped off.

If we can display BOTH, that would be a plus. So, hoping @Chemistrydoc can post screen grabs from the same Zillow 3D Home tour showing both Matterport and Zillow 3D Hom.

Clear as mud?

(Time for a late lunch)

Dan
Post 11 IP   flag post
leeverdon private msg quote post Address this user
I had an interesting experience with an agent client of mine which relates to this very topic. All her listings have a Matterport done through me.

I scanned a new listing of hers recently, an unfurnished 7,000 sqft home. A few weeks later my client decided to stage it and requested new still photos. I get to the property only to find a Zillow rep doing the 3D Tour using the Theta Z1 camera.

I was startled to say the least and once the Zillow guy left I started asking questions. The agent proceeded to tell me that her office had some sort of conference call with Zillow this past week. She found out about the Zillow 3D option via the call and basically said to me that the Zillow option is quicker and cheaper.

She also said that on the call Zillow mentioned that they were starting to put restrictions on the type of links you can add into the virtual tour link option, Matterport being one of them. If this is true then Zillow 3D tours will ultimately dominate and monopolize the market in their own space.

I of course highlighted to her all the pros of using a Matterport. She accepted the fact that Matterport is the superior product but it left me uncertain as to whether she will do Matterport again.

Anyone else hearing this disturbing revelation?
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
Yes!
Post 13 IP   flag post
101631 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?