Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
360AdviceNewbiesProblemsReal Estate

Client Wants Matterport - Advice Needed12610

GeorgeH private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

I am new to this forum and new to making virtual tours (videographer background). I have a real estate client that I've shot several virtual tours for, and just sent them the first edited tour. The feedback is problematic - they want Matterport.

I've been shooting on the Insta360 One X, and edited this first tour with Kuulu. From what I understand, it will be impossible for me to make a Matterport-like tour without using their propitiatory software, and reshooting.

I do not want to promise something I cannot deliver, especially if it involves a reshoot. I also don't want to send good money after bad. Hopefully the community here can help me with a few questions:

- Some of the images from the Insta360 were too dark, partially because of how I shot it (sometimes houselights were off), but if I need to can I edit panos in Matterport software?
- I have an android phone and see there is a Beta app, but is it useable?
- My competitor has a Matterport camera. Is the quality of the Insta360 One X good enough to compete? The quality of the Matterport camera is clearly better, but has anyone had experience with clients discerning a difference? Main bug I had about the Insta360 was the brightness, as mentioned above. But also the resolution.
- Matterport pricing is confusing and company seems somewhat predatory / monopolistic. Are my feelings correct about their company practices or do they deserve their place as the main VT platform?
- On their basic paid plan, can I make dollhouse? Is there a limit to the number of snapshots I can take per model?
- Any way of uploading an already photographed tour into Matterport if I didnt use their app?
- Anything else I should consider before going back to my client? Are there solutions I'm missing?

I'm determined to turn this messy situation into a success story, so any advice is greatly appreciated. Will be testing the Matterport app today in my own flat, once I get the Beta successfully downloaded.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Premium
Columbus, Ohio
MicFoster private msg quote post Address this user
- Some of the images from the Insta360 were too dark, partially because of how I shot it (sometimes houselights were off), but if I need to can I edit panos in Matterport software?

No, you can not edit shots in workshop

- I have an android phone and see there is a Beta app, but is it useable?

It is buggy. I would borrow an Apple device from someone.

- My competitor has a Matterport camera. Is the quality of the Insta360 One X good enough to compete?

It depends on the use and product. On a high-end home I would say it is probably not competitive.

The quality of the Matterport camera is clearly better, but has anyone had experience with clients discerning a difference?

This is tricky. Since they are asking for Matterport specifically they may know the difference. Although most of my broker/real estate clients don’t. Side by side there is no comparison.

- Matterport pricing is confusing and company seems somewhat predatory / monopolistic. Are my feelings correct about their company practices or do they deserve their place as the main VT platform?

They are both of those things, and somehow still deserve a place at the table. When done right it is an excellent and effective product.

- On their basic paid plan, can I make dollhouse? Is there a limit to the number of snapshots I can take per model? Matterport doesn’t support models over 200 scans. I have submitted much bigger models with our issue.

- Any way of uploading an already photographed tour into Matterport if I didnt use their app?

No

- Anything else I should consider before going back to my client? Are there solutions I'm missing?

Reshoot and CHARGE for it.
Post 2 IP   flag post
GeorgeH private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Mic,

Thanks so much for your response - it really helps a lot. I guess the big question that remains is the camera quality with Insta360.

I'll talk with the client tomorrow and carefully probe whether they felt image resolution was an issue. Hopefully not because i simply cannot afford a camera like the Matterport until I've some reliable income from this.

Thanks again!
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Boxborough, Massachusetts
toddwaddington private msg quote post Address this user
@GeorgeH

You CAN get something close to Matterport, if...

you use a DSLR to shoot and stitch your panos, and work with a software like 3DVista. You will have to work very hard to take that many panos close enough together to create a tour similar to Matterport. But you can make a very nice tour with 3DVista (or Pano2VR). Insta360OneX is a great hobbyist camera but won't capture the high res that agents want. Matterport is proprietary. Unless you spring for their $3,500 camera you will get less than great results.

I invested in it. I can totally see its value. There are Matterport haters out there because it really takes some to the "artistry" out of the tour. It's a business tool. That is how I think of it. If I get to capture some fabulous museum, great, but it is a tool, not a craft. It requires *some* skill, but not nearly as much as it takes to create tours from scratch with a DSLR.

If I knew how to attain clients quickly I'd be making mega bucks, but it takes time to build a reputation and get the word out. Good Luck! Todd
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@GeorgeH

Welcome to the WGAN Forum and thank you for your insightful post.

Since you have the client's trust - and your competitor has a Matterport Pro2 3D Camera - is there a way for you and your competitor to collaborate so that you and your client are happy (instead of reshooting with the Insta360 One X?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @GeorgeH

Using 3rd Party Matterport overlay too - MP/Embed - you can:

✓ adjust the brightness, saturation, contrast, hue, white balance and more of either individual 360s or apply to the entire tour.

✓ Free Course: WGAN-TV | MPEmbed: an Essential Overlay for Matterport Showcase - MPEmbed is an ESSENTIAL TOOL for Matterport Service Providers

Dan

P.S. ...

Examples of 360 Tours Created with Ricoh Theta Z1/V/SC2 and Insta360 One/X courtesy of @lilnitsch
Post 5 IP   flag post
101424 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?