Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 761 Unique Visitors
9,054 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,838 Page Views | 19,122 Unique Visitors | 26 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
DJI Phantom 4 ProDroneLitchiMavic 2 Enterprise ThermalMavic 2 ProNewsParrot ANAFI ThermalPix4DSkydioVideo

Drone-maker Skydio Secures $100M Series C To Grow In New Markets12481

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Video: Introducing Skydio 2 | Video courtesy of Skydio YouTube Channel (1 October 2019)

Crunchbased (13 July 2020) Drone-maker Skydio Secures $100M Series C To Grow In New Markets

"In June, the company announced it had restarted production of its Skydio 2 drone after pausing for the global pandemic," reports Crunchbase.

Your thoughts?

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
EaglePrecision private msg quote post Address this user
Many are impressed by the new technology and capabilities. But for commercial photo work (360 & 3D particularly), I rely on:

1) proven platform & technology(documented history and recommendations in photogrammetry applications)
2) proven reliability and support from multiple sources
3) a variety of software available from manufacturer and 3rd party (for instance, Litchi, Pix4D, etc).

For that reason, I stick with a DJI Phantom 4 Pro Ve - the airframe has been around form many years and the 3rd generation electronics/communications have been improved in V2. It has the best camera for all applications (beating the Mavic 2 Pro which can't do mapping) without going to the next level for $5,000.

The Skydio specs are impressive and it has new sensor technologies. It is American made and has a bright future, particularly with this new round of funding. The tendency of these non-DJI, non-Chinese brands, though, is to go after the low-hanging fruit: the military and public safety markets - so consumers fall lower in the design priorities.

I have not seen any reviews on its ability to address the commercial photography market (in which I include all the photogrammetry applications) which requires the right set of hardware (camera, gimbal) and software options. I think it has a long way to go to prove itself as more than a hobby platform for now but worth keeping an eye on.

Note: this is healthy skepticism founded on my early experience with a Parrot ANAFI Thermal (which also has some impressive specs on paper) which cost about the same as a Mavic 2 Enterprise Thermal but has much less capability.
Post 2 IP   flag post
101736 2 2
This topic is archived. Start new topic?