Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 823 Unique Visitors
9,049 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,558 Page Views | 18,831 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceHow ToOverlappingProblemsScanning

How to update half a Matterport scan of a showroom (1/2 space updated)?12389

WGAN Premium
Indianapolis, Indiana
MattSCrowder private msg quote post Address this user
Hello. Long story short, I have a client with a showroom. Half the showroom is outdoor furniture which gets rotated out a few times a year. The other half is fireplaces, which doesn't.

The client wants to update the tour on the furniture half as needed but wants to save money from having the scan the entire showroom each time.

The solution I came up with was to scan both separately and use a Mattertag for visitors to navigate between the two halves.

The client, however, wants it to be seamless, but since it's going between two separate models, it would be anything but.

Has anyone else run into this, or does anyone else have any ideas different than mine?

Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
808virtually private msg quote post Address this user
Make a copy of the model, delete the scans from the furniture area then rescan the area with new furniture.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Premium
Indianapolis, Indiana
So this would work within the capture app on the ipad, not the My.Matterport spaces. Am I getting that right?
That's where I would make the copy?
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@MattSCrowder

It may - or may not - work. With so much of the environment changing, Matterport Cloud/App may be confused about where it connects. The key will be overlaying scans from the old to the new. It may be as much as a third of the space needs overlapping to work.

Best to under promise - "here's what I will try, but heres how we can do this (your tactics above) - and over deliver.

Once time, I had a only a light change from day to night - I wanted to test that transition - and it took me 30 minutes for the Matterport Capture app to recognize the space was the same.

Best,

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Premium
Indianapolis, Indiana
What if, I did each half as a separate "floor", and connected the "floors" via Mattertag the same as we would link bottom to the top of stairs? It would be considerably more seamless than loading a new model. The dollhouse would look weird but that can be disabled.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
@MattSCrowder

On this particular model I deleted all but just a couple scan positions however, same process for half the storefront if you will... Delete the scan position that have changed in the capture model on your iPad then re-scan the new bits for best results start your re-scan from an area with little to no chance to help with proper alignment.

you will end up with a new tour link.

Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@MattSCrowder

These are the key words to success...
Quote:
Originally Posted by @lilnitch
for best results start your re-scan from an area with little to no chance to help with proper alignment.

I could imagine this will be challenging in your space.

Under promise (and try to over deliver).

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Premium
Indianapolis, Indiana
@DanSmigrod

Thanks - Always good advice.

My exact words iin my email to the client were

"The bottom line is that I can try this method, but I don’t want to make promises it will work, and I want to set your expectations accordingly."
Post 8 IP   flag post
johnwheatley private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod - Could this potential disconnect/conflict between the new-furniture and old-furniture scans possibly be alleviated by taking new scans before deleting old scans, especially if @MattSCrowder starts scanning in the unchanged half of the property?

Another possible way to help Matterport recognise the property: hang the QR-code-type signs (those printable sheets that Matterport provides for scanning long, repetitive-design spaces) in exactly the same spot for each re-scan. Might that help? If so, it would take some organization and markings that never get removed.

Another thing that @MattSCrowder may want to know about is the Automated Mattertag Creation service that @HomePlanNZ talks about in this post https://www.wegetaroundnetwork.com/topic/12310/page/1/why-mattertags-are-just-awesome/#1.

HomePlan NZ
Post 9 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
@MattSCrowder I have also done this several times and like said start in an area already scanned. There has been a few times my first scan I have to move the camera around 2-3 times to get it to allow the models to mesh. I also try to pick a time similar to the original scan so as not to have a drastic change in lighting.
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Premium
Indianapolis, Indiana
@ron0987 I will give it a try. But I let them know it may not work and that we might have to do the whole floor. They accept that possibility.
Post 11 IP   flag post
101602 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?