Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Aurora HDREditing SoftwareLunimar 4Windows

Lunimar 4 and Aurora HDR on windows12357

WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Hi guys,

Not giving any links so it does not look like I am promoting this software.

I have found through watching a lot of videos on youtube that Luminar 4 is quite a good photo editing software with some AI capabilities such sky automatic replacement, landscape enhancement and actually can be bundled with Aurora HDR software and it seems to be as good as photomatix HDR.

I was thinking about buying it since with bundle discounts and extra discount codes it will cost about $175 AUD(100 USD) in total. However after installing its trial on quite a fast laptop I can see that it is awfully slow on my Windows 10 Pro laptop.

It is so slow that installation took 30 minutes and just using sky replacement feature takes about 10 seconds minimum. When I watched the videos it was used on Mac computers and I could see it was almost instant and took no more than 1-2 seconds.

It is a bit better with Aurora HDR and I cannot complain about a speed of merging AEB shots but installation was also slow(may be 10 minutes).

Has anybody ever used Luminar on a windows desktop/laptop and can say it is fast for you?

I did not expect so slow performance but after seeing how slow it was I started googling and found a lot of similar complaints. However it may be a processor/ram/gpu dependent.
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
Chemistrydoc private msg quote post Address this user
I use it mainly for sky replacements and I’ve never noticed it taking too long. It’s no worse than Lightroom in terms of speed.
Post 2 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
Both solutions run fast on my computers (I7 3.6 GHz/ 32GB Ram / Nvidia 1080) but both Aurora and Luminar are very ressource hungry.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Thanks guys, the Ram amount may be a problem. I do not think I have 32GB, more like 8GB but I have no problem to run stitching and even edited google tour in Pano2VR pro with about 2200 panoramas loaded in to it from maps. I will check tomorrow how much ram I have.
Post 4 IP   flag post
leeverdon private msg quote post Address this user
Great topic of discussion, glad someone brought this up.

I have been using my MacBook Pro Retina 2014 model for all my photo and video editing. For the time it was Apple's top of the line laptop, see the specs below.

Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 GB
Hard drive: SSD 500 GB

I've been using Aurora for about a year now and every time I open it up, my machine sounds like a fighter jet taking off on a runway and my Mac gets really hot. At times whilst I am doing a batch process, Aurora will just shut down unexpectedly and I would have to reboot my Mac to get it to settle down.

There may be other factors causing this, perhaps my machine is getting old. But those specs are pretty good and this only happens when I use Aurora. That said, I have made the decision to purchase the new iMac when it comes later this year, a real workhorse for my needs and then use my MacBook as a backup.

Both Aurora and Luminar are good to have in your arsenal but I would recommend that you invest in a good machine first that can handle the workflow comfortably.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
@Chemistrydoc said it best. No difference than Lightroom.

Love it for sky replacement and aspire to take out lens dust.

@leeverdon - says to up that Ram and once again agree start at 16+ GB for editing software to be effective. Probably still get the jet run up at times with even 16GB.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Paris
RomainReparage private msg quote post Address this user
@leeverdon it doesn't really solves the problem but i recommend this free software 'Macs fan Control'
https://crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control
to try it is to adopt it
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
I have checked mine and it is only 8GB of RAM.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user

Post 9 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
Question: how big are the files you're processing?

Could you possibly shoot smaller files?
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Mine are from a 24MP crop camera... or to be exact were from that camera. Since I am going to use a Canon 5DS and it has 50MP sensor they can be quite big.

However I have found and bought quite a fast gaming desktop(Lenovo s30) with 32GB of RAM so it should not be a problem. And stitching with PTGui should be faster on a faster desktop.
Lenovo s30 desktop model is quite old so there are plenty of used ones that cost around 300-500 USD.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Does it really make a lot of sense to shoot and process files at around 8000 x 6000 when you're going to deliver at around 2100 x 1400 or thereabouts?

Try shooting RAW S.
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
You are right, not too much sense because I will have to work with much bigger file sizes than I need. I was going to shoot in a cropped version if no big prints were required by a client. However I'll probably need wide angle EF-S lens for it, otherwise I will get 27-64mm equivalent from my 17-40mm full frame lens if I set my Canon 5ds to a crop size.

From the other hand I did a lot of bracketed shots and auto HDR with a full frame size the last weekend. Raw and jpeg files are big but they still merge in Photomatix quite fast even on a 8GB RAM i7 laptop. It should be even faster on a 32GB desktop. For Auto HDR there is about 10 sec for merging into HDR in the camera which is quite acceptable.

AutoHDR in Canon is quite good for outdoor and dynamic range seems to be much better than with Sony cameras(I compared it with an Auto HDR in a6000). However interior shoots when it is quite dark inside with very bright sunlit windows are not so good due to only 3 shoots limit and only three presets +-1, +-2 and +-3EV in Auto HDR.
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
TNW (6 July 2020) Edit photos in one click with this AI-powered photo editor app
Post 14 IP   flag post
Not sure A6000 and 5DS are completely comparable.

And Auto HDR is kind of a dead end at this point. Some day maybe.
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
I have got the pc with 32GB of RAM and a SSD as a primary drive. Quite a fast processor and good 4K video card(Quadro k2000). Installation of Luminar 4 on it still takes at least 20 minutes but it works quite fast after installation.
Post 16 IP   flag post
101636 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?