Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 25 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
BackUpCustomer ServiceDeletingProblems

Matterport's no longer restoring deleted spaces!12353

PeterMcCready private msg quote post Address this user
Hi,

I recently deleted a thoroughly unloved space (no hits in 12 months!) only to find interest in it rekindled within a week, as is the way!

"No problem,", I thought, "Matterport never deletes anything!".

Problem. Matterport no longer restores deleted spaces:

"Thank you for contacting Matterport Support. We're sorry, but we no longer have the ability to restore deleted spaces. If you find yourself in need of a space that you had previously deleted, you will need to re-upload the job from the Capture app and a new model will be created for you. If you are on a legacy Classic plan, you will not incur any processing charges for the re-upload."

Gone for now (iPad wiped and given to a family member at the start of lockdown!), my fault entirely, I've quietly relied on their unofficial ability to restore a deleted space at whim over the years.

Question! Do these 'deceased' scans still form part of their 'Ecosystem'?!

Peter
Post 1 IP   flag post
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
Join the club.

Their policy change had devastating impact on me. Cost me a builder client. We had sent emails to the initial contact stating that hosting renewal had to be paid or it would go away. We even sent a notice on the Contact Us Message board of their website. Turns out the contact was no longer with the company and we found that out after they inquired why the model was no longer working and they said they never got the Message board notice. We offered to re-scan the unit they wanted back, but it was sold and they no longer owned it.

For new comers who say, "why didn't you just archive".... that wasn't an option up until recently.

The ridiculous space limits for accounts meant that you HAD to free up space whenever you were done (or thought you were done) with a model.

I could understand if Matterport had instituted a policy that said, "MOVING FORWARD we will no longer restore models deleted after today's date". The fact that they made it a blanket policy frustrates me so much, as they basically made it a seemless part of the workload. It wasn't often that I had to restore a deleted model... less than once per year I think, but Matterport made it easy and so I deleted HUNDREDS of models.

What about iPad backups?

Well, why would I need them? The only thing would be to bring the model back out of retirement if need be. The trim lines/markings were good so no need to back that up.

Except for a couple important models that I knew we had to go back to. I backed those up using the iExplorer method. I copied the files on to a portable harddrive and had them for safe keeping, only to discover that when I put them back on to the iPad, the app won't recognize they are there! The files show they are there on the iPad, but the app can't "find" them.

The lack of a backup solution after 5+ years is one of the most troubling aspects of Matterport's business plan.
Post 2 IP   flag post
They certainly did make it easy to restore, such a quick, relatively effortless process that I never once thought about the possibility of not being able to recover at some point in the future, especially given their 'Ecosystem' aspirations where our spaces formed part of potential future monetisation for them!

Backup has definitely been a sticking point over the years, I've had more queries about this than anything else since I first got involved in 2016, people rightly want a better solution than the current 'sticking plaster' technique.
Post 3 IP   flag post
3SixtyNow private msg quote post Address this user
They're not really deleted. Matterport could restore them if they wanted too.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Update.

I asked Matterport:

"Has my space been removed from your ‘Ecosystem’?"

They responded:

"The space is still in our system, but company policy does not allow us to restore spaces that have been deleted. This policy is being strongly enforced by our supervisors."

Followed by suggesting a transition from the old pricing scheme to the new in order to access the archiving process for future use.

Great job Matterport, keep it up!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SixtyNow
They're not really deleted. Matterport could restore them if they wanted too.

Yeah... but they won't.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMcCready
Update.

I asked Matterport:

"Has my space been removed from your ‘Ecosystem’?"

They responded:

"The space is still in our system, but company policy does not allow us to restore spaces that have been deleted. This policy is being strongly enforced by our supervisors."

Followed by suggesting a transition from the old pricing scheme to the new in order to access the archiving process for future use.

Great job Matterport, keep it up!

I've got both a Classic plan and a new plan and that does allow me to archive unused scans NOW.... doesn't help anything with previously deleted ones. That's why they should allow us to restore earlier deleted models.

Heck, I even offered to PAY them AGAIN to restore, and they refused.
Post 7 IP   flag post
3SixtyNow private msg quote post Address this user
@Queen_City_3D they want to force everybody into the new plans so they can "archive" spaces.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Queen_City_3D they want to force everybody into the new plans so they can "archive" spaces.

This is the way! Something to think about when deciding whether or not to continue with hosting when the renewal point is reached...
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:

Having both is the best of both worlds. I've got my classic plan and added on a new plan which I now use for processing and archiving, but I transfer to classic plan for hosting.

That's really a separate discussion than the decision to no longer restore deleted models.

My frustration is that it was Matterport itself that made that a necessity (with imposed space limits and no archiving option) so they should own up to that and allow us to GET BACK the ones that were deleted so that moving forward we can archive them in "new accounts"
Post 10 IP   flag post
CTownMedia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_City_3D
Quote:

Having both is the best of both worlds. I've got my classic plan and added on a new plan which I now use for processing and archiving, but I transfer to classic plan for hosting.

That's really a separate discussion than the decision to no longer restore deleted models.

My frustration is that it was Matterport itself that made that a necessity (with imposed space limits and no archiving option) so they should own up to that and allow us to GET BACK the ones that were deleted so that moving forward we can archive them in "new accounts"

This is super interesting, I haven't thought about that. How many models to you process in an average month?

I also got bit when I accidentally deleted some spaces in the past few weeks also and was definitely surprised when I got the response that there was nothing they could do...
Post 11 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
That was then, this is now?

Post 12 IP   flag post
denlee private msg quote post Address this user
Can you move plans between a classic plan and the $9.99/month plan? Also, can you archive models from the $9.99/month plan?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownMedia
I also got bit when I accidentally deleted some spaces in the past few weeks also and was definitely surprised when I got the response that there was nothing they could do...

Equally surprised here, I deleted with incredible ease last week, never thought reactivation would be such a problem especially when the space is retained within their 'Ecosystem' for their exclusive future use.

I guess this is all about teaching users a hard lesson in order to promote their new hosting packages with built-in archiving and retrieval.

Not for me, I'll definitely be terminating the hosting when it's up for renewal after Christmas, it's time...
Post 14 IP   flag post
Final update.

I asked Matterport:

"What are your plans for my data?"

They responded:

"This is a great question! After checking in with my supervisor, he told me that you deleted spaces will go into stasis, and would only ever be used for internal training purposes."

Queue the 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' theme...
Post 15 IP   flag post
101646 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?