Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AndroidCanonCanon 5DSCanon T6

Canon 5DS camera control through Android device or Ipad12311

WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Hi guys,

I purchased a brand new Canon 5Ds and two used lens(17-40mm and 8-15mm) last weekend.

Since I am going to shoot from a tripod most of the time and I want to preview a photo composition and leveling on a bigger than just a camera screen, plus I want to have ability to control all camera settings without touching the camera I am looking for the best remote control app for Canon 5D series. It would be nice if I can get the same app for both Android and Ipad but if there is the best one only for one of them I do not mind.

So far I know that there is the Canon Camera Connect app that has quite a bad feedback from its users mostly related to connection problems.

I also know about Arsenal Camera Assistant device that can do much more than just controlling a camera. It also has some feedback that is not so good and again related mostly to connecting to a camera. However those who could manage to stay connected are quite happy with the device.

What else is out there in order to have a full remote control and a good live view for Canon 5D series?

It does not have to be free app and I am happy to pay for a good one. I am sure most of photographers here who use Canon cameras have probably gone through some of them and can share their opinions.
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
For those who are wondering why so much resolution for just real estate photography.

There are two reasons

1)You'll need to see what this huge sensor can do for 360. It simply beats Matterport to the ground for its clarity, resolution and ability to produce HDR photos with AEB. Here is an old link with examples https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4142536

2)One of my local REA owns a huge screen on a busy road. Considering there is plenty of luxury properties around me they will be interested in 50MP resolution photography to put some of their vendors properties on their screen.

Of course when it is not required I will use the camera in APS-C mode but it is just good to have the option for your photos to go on big size billboards and screens.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Houston
briangreul private msg quote post Address this user
You can turn on a grid-line feature in the camera.... I use that to address leveling. Anything that gets past that I fix in Lightroom.

I found wifi control to be klunky at best on several Canon cameras that support it. I did not pay for an app though. I'd check to see what it projects at. Most likely it's 1080p.

Ultra high-resolution is primarily for large format printing. Unless your REA has spent $$,$$$ they are going to have a 4K screen at best. Just food for thought. 50MP on a 4K screen is still 4K. If driven by a crappy PC or digital sign stick it might be 1080P.

Most people don't know this and are simply drawn to pixels as an equivalent to horsepower. Even if you print the photos the limiting factor is usually the resolution of your printer. A 1200 dpi printer is still 1200 dpi. At 11x17 this would be 269M pixels.... so even with a 50MP sensor there would be extrapolation aka dithering going on. Just less of it then with a smaller sensor/image.

Instead of an app my advice would be to buy the remote release. The TC-80N3 is particularly nice, but most of any of them will work for Listing photos / HDR.
Post 3 IP   flag post
rastas private msg quote post Address this user
Your best solution is the camranger. Device attaches to your camera, sends signal to iPad or phone. Full control of camera. There's abiut 15 other ways to do what you want as well, but camranger is the best.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
I'm stuck where you're at. Canon Connect App completely unreliable taking away precious time while at a shoot and trying to keep a schedule. Wife kept pushing the Arsenal Device and finally humored here into looking into it with terrible feedback. Which leaves Camranger as the last one remaining.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Hilton Head Island, SC
THRHHI private msg quote post Address this user
Love my Camranger. Use with my android phone and tablet. With the tablet I have it on a holder clamped to the tripod. Easy to move and the 10" screen make camera changes easy.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
I am not really chasing that big screen/board option, I just know there will be a client for it one day. And it is not just one local REA, I have clients with $1-3B worth residential projects in Brisbane CBD and iconic locations in Queensland who may love the idea and go for it. My choice for this camera is purely based on 360 photos and I would not buy it just for big size advertisement.

As for wireless control, I am happy to be tethered with a cable. I just want to have the ability to change camera settings with a few clicks and without touching the camera. Remotes are great but provide no live view. Even though I am sure I will get one I will still need a live view. I do not have good vision and the bigger the preview is the better it is for me to eliminate any composition and leveling mistakes that can be fixed only in post processing later.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Houston
@Wingman - you might also consider a field monitor. Something like this, just look for one that uses standard Sony Camcorder type batteries.

Mount it to your tripod leg. I did that for a while with video so I could see what I was shooting while I was in front of the camera. Then I upgraded to a 24" monitor on a karaoke stand. lol. The camera should have an HDMI out that will feed right to the field monitor. Just make sure you zip tie the cable good to the tripod so it can't ever pull on the camera. The socket isn't meant to take any strain.

The field monitors come in a bunch of sizes and I'd recommend a heavy duty mount like a Manfrotto clamp and friction arm.

You'd still have to touch the camera..... but I'm not super convinced that wifi and an app won't aggravate you and drain your battery. Canon has user-definable presets that you might want to use.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
I do not really like anything extra big that needs to be taken on a job just for the live preview so a monitor is not really an option. And they actually have stop making sense with all these smartphones and tablets available now.

Thanks for reminding me about camranger. I think I found it while I was looking for Arsenal alternatives(there are actually many out there) but I cannot recall why I stopped considering it. I will look at it again.

As for the Arsenal I was under impression that it was undeveloped tech that would need some improvements and not worth its cost after reading some reviews. However I watched one youtube video yesterday with review about it from the guy who did not like it for connection problems and not seeing their final files anywhere. Then I looked at comments under his video and almost everybody was saying that it works for them just fine and they all said that the guy who reviewed it just failed to follow basic instructions on how to set it up properly.

I personally like it for a full camera control and the fact that it can do focus and brackets stacking on board. Not to mention its other functions that can be interesting for dong landscapes and nature shots just for fun.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
Camranger 2.
Post 10 IP   flag post
3SixtyNow private msg quote post Address this user
The arsenal works for me. I have a Canon T6 and it allows me to get a lot more than 3 shots for bracketed photos.
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SixtyNow
The arsenal works for me. I have a Canon T6 and it allows me to get a lot more than 3 shots for bracketed photos.

Do you use Arcenal stacking for HDR or just take bracketed shots with it and merge them later with some 3rd party software?

If you let Arsenal stack them for you are you happy with the result?
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
I found a good deal on a used Arsenal locally and went for it.
As much as I like camranger 2 it is almost $700 in AUD here in Australia. I just could not resist a used Arsenal for about 6 times less than the cost of brand new Camranger 2.

I will need to sort out problems with a control cable as I am getting it from a Nikon guy and Canon 5Ds(and 5D mark IV) needs a cable with USB 3.0 micro on the camera end and USB 2.0 micro on the arsenal and and nobody is selling it. But at least Nikon cable works with my sony a6000. I will have time to play with the arsenal controlling Sony a6000 while I find the cable/converter locally or order a required cable it directly from Arsenal.
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
@Wingman - Looking forward to hearing if you like it. Or is it a device that gets plagued when an App update is needed. So far I'm seeing 3 different responses of Great App, Frustrated didn't get what was promised and Great until an App updated is needed - Now upset having to drive miles away to find Internet/computer/cable to update.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Houston
Amazon is a good source in the US for weird USB cables.... they have almost anything you can imagine if you ask for it correctly.
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTLV
@Wingman - Looking forward to hearing if you like it. Or is it a device that gets plagued when an App update is needed. So far I'm seeing 3 different responses of Great App, Frustrated didn't get what was promised and Great until an App updated is needed - Now upset having to drive miles away to find Internet/computer/cable to update.

I honestly do not know but I will post here once I get it and try it at least with my sony a6000.

As for cables/converters, I spent a lot of time searching for a suitable cable locally and I could not find any. It seems nobody apart from Arsenal makes a cable with a Micro 3.0 USB plug on one end and a Micro 2.0 USB plug on the other end. However once I figured out what 3.0 Micro USB was I started to realise that the port on my new Canon 5DS for a camera control is going to be USB 3.0 Micro and my camera is actually coming with a cable for that port. It is just the other end of this cable is going to be a normal old USB A and the only thing I'd need to find is a converter that has female A plug on one end and a male USB 2.0 micro on the other.

This type of converters is a super easy to buy both online and locally. However this is just a problem with the Arsenal for some cameras that need exactly the same plug(3.0 USB Micro) as Canon 5ds and 5d mark iV. There are other type of cables required for other cameras and they are much much easier to buy locally and online.
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by briangreul
Amazon is a good source in the US for weird USB cables.... they have almost anything you can imagine if you ask for it correctly.

I have tried amazon and they have a few for Arsenal exactly but they do not offer the one I need. Plus it is still a problem with waiting it to be delivered from USA to Australia.

It is not a problem to get the right cable from the Arsenal website and I will get one from them eventually. However it will take time and will cost $20 USD($10 for cable plus $10 for postage). I would order one right now but I do not want to rush until I get the device and test it with my Sony a6000. If it works as I am expecting I will buy it from the arsenal website. I just do not want to throw away $20 USD without knowing if I like the device or not. And while I wait I can get a converter locally for $2-3 USD as this amount of money I can afford to through away.
Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
BTW, I am pleased to see how many lenses are available for canon ef mount. Sure they are used but there are plenty of them in great condition and you can buy some full frame lenses for about $100-150 USD
I have already got 17-40mm and 8-15mm for about $1000 USD delivered for both in total and that's the most expensive ones I'll need. The rest are going to be much cheaper and I can get them later.

This is just in comparison with Sony full frame e-mount lenses. These seem to cost a lot and I'd probably need to spend 2 times more on everything I'd need.

Plus I even have a nodal head setup with Mecha e1 and a ring for Canon 8-15mm. Still need a PTGUI license but I am 100% ready to use this camera for 360 hardware wise.
Post 18 IP   flag post
101436 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?