Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D ShowcaseHow ToMuseumsPricingScanningScans

Scanning a HUGE space-135,000 SQ FT | Scanning issues? Pricing suggestions?12145

Cabrahams private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Everyone:

It's been a long time since I've posted here. I'm an early user of the Matterport technology having started using it back in the Fall of 2016 (early at least here in New England).

I received an inquiry to scan a space that's roughly 135,000 Sq.Ft. Knowing the limitations of how many scans Matterport supports, models that have pushed past the 300 scan barrier etc. etc. I decided to have a conversation w someone in support. The first person really had no idea now any suggestions simply referring me to a model that had once been done at the Royal Palm Business Park (on the site as an example)which claimed to have been 140,000 sq.ft. I asked her if she could reach out to the MSP who had created it to speak w them to ask some questions. She apparently did but I never heard back from the MSP.

Yesterday I tried support again w the client on the phone. We had a great call w a guy in support who clearly knew what he was talking about. * Point 1, this isn't the first time this has happened. Moral for point 1, if you don't succeed in calling support the first time, try, try again. The support group I've found in this instance and others can vary greatly.

Anyway, a bit of background on the end project: It's a large Supermarket. Initially the client's "client" wanted a complete scan of the entire space. Oh and this would have to occur before the store opened for business at 7:00 am...We discussed the option of instead of including each and every aisle in the store that we focus instead on the area sections of the space; produce, deli, bakery, etc. etc. On the website the various sections would be listed. As I hadn't done anything like this I didn't think to consider the option of utilizing Mattertags to accomplish the idea of having a customer walk from one section to another without having to include all of the separate aisles.

In speaking w Jeff in support we learned this could easily accomplish this. The website could link to the separate models for each section but once in any of the sections you could walk from one to the next to the next w the use of Mattertags and hyperlinks. For those of you still curious, here is an explanation on the Matterport website:

https://support.matterport.com/hc/en-us/articles/235469007-Scanning-Regions-Connecting-with-Mattertag-Posts

Here's another one:

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=1fifmgFG7zo

SO...I think I've figured out this issue on potentially how to do this job.

NOW...Any help on pricing something like this?

If the total for this job is 135,000 sq.ft. I'm still waiting to hear back on how many sections would be scanned and approximate square footage. Say it's 7 different areas and models.

I normally charge $.14/sqft. Would you drop this to $.10? Lower?

Thanks!

Hope this helps someone out there.

Charlie
Post 1 IP   flag post
APN private msg quote post Address this user
I believe on large scans it should be based on an hourly rate.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Cabrahams

Client will want a fixed cost: either X (flat fee) or X per SQ FT.

I would not discount. This project will be harder because of how big the space is. You will be connecting models with MatterTags. That will take time. you will be processing, hosting more models, etc.

Let your client know that it will be multiple models. Each model could be 10,000 SQ FT. Always under promise and over deliver.

Only if you have a Pro2 and a current iPad - could you consider promising up to 20,000 SQ FT. Keep in mind that your iPad could be challenged with the local processing and large models can be a problem processing in the Cloud.

Workflow. Duplicate the model every 10,000 SQ FT. This way, if you run into problems scanning, you can use the last completed 10,000 SQ FT and delete scans in the latest model to get the next 10,000 SQ FT.

I would not promise that Matterport will combine the models. Even if they agree to this, it could take weeks (and you would need at least 20 percent overlap among models.

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
elyptic private msg quote post Address this user
For a very large project with nearly 200.000 sqft. i used captur3d.io. Using Mattertags to combine all the parts will be added this weekend.

clickable text
Post 4 IP   flag post
Houston
briangreul private msg quote post Address this user
What sort of scan density do you use on a larger space?
Post 5 IP   flag post
aerialpixels private msg quote post Address this user
@briangreul

hi brian. this isnt something u can easily judge with matterport.
cos it needs to align from one scan to another.
if it cant align, u gotta scan closer. i have had scans where we just gotta even scan every 3 feet.

a supermarket may prove a challenge if the shopping aisles are homogenous.
not sure that MP can differentiate the fine 3d of the items on otherwise very typical aisles.
Post 6 IP   flag post
101636 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?