Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,054 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 31 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Capture AppiPhoneZillow 3D Home

Time to scan- iPhone or iPad for Matterport12142

Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
We have tried using phones for Zillow 3D tours and almost immediately realized it was a lost cause.

How long would it take someone who understands Matterport and 3D scanning to do a decent job on a 2000 SF typical home with a phone? I'm guessing 3 hours at least?

Anyone done this?
Post 1 IP   flag post
bryanhscott private msg quote post Address this user
@Expertise Lost cause? Can you be more specific about your experience shooting Zillow 3D Tours with your phone?

If the height of the angle of view is short, which makes it feels like the viewer is in a tunnel, yes, that is the effect when not using a fisheye camera, or at least a wide angle lens on your phone. It is also problematic when the shooter doesn't take the time to add navigation to make it easier for the viewer to self-guide through the space.

Your question about using Matterport needs a bit of ferreting out as well. Do you intend to use Matterport processing but shoot with a cellphone, or do you mean that you would use Matterport processing with a Matterport camera?

If with a Matterport camera, then plan on 1 scan for every 40 square feet with each taking up to 1-1/4 minutes. For 2,000sf, that's 50 scans, or 62.5 minutes. Don't forget the exterior 360's if you also intend to shoot the exterior. Most properties will take at least 4, if not 6 or 8 exterior 360 scans.

If using a cellphone to shoot the space using Matterport processing, absent an add-on, 18mm lens attached to the phone, you will have the same tunnel-vision issue. Timewise, it will take about the same amount of time to shoot with either camera, because one is a manual spin, while the other is an automated camera spin.

There will be other differences as well, but you should consult with Matterport sales on this to obtain a more complete list. At minimum, with a cellphone, you will lose the ability to pull floor plans out of the scans, as well as the .obj file.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
We have done hundreds of MP scans with the Pro 2.

My question is- how long does it take for an experienced MP user to scan a house with an iPhone or iPad? You need to rotate your body and align multiple images in each spin.

So- how hard is aligning? I really don't see a lot of Realtors having the patience to do this.
Post 3 IP   flag post
bryanhscott private msg quote post Address this user
@Expertise Understood. When Matterport first announced support for iPhone, I tried it right away. Didn't care for the effects and the disadvantages, especially when I already owned a Pro2. Though I did not do any hardcore production work using the iPhone, I did enough to realize the spin time was about the same. The difference was in not having to mess with the tripod. Though this would only be a guess for the reasons mentioned, I suspect kicking the tripod out of the workflow would save you 1/4 to maybe 1/2 the time on sight.
Post 4 IP   flag post
RichardStanton private msg quote post Address this user
@Expertise I have done extensive testing with various iPhone and iPad configurations from the X to the 11Pro Max - As of now it still appears to be a moving target as I have seen changes quickly on the MP side regarding both the scanning and efficacy.

That said, are you trying to compare a "simple" iPhone/Camera scan for a MP2 competent user, or the "complete" scan? I ask because the first offers a more narrow field of view as mentioned.

And on which device? They leverage the UW camera on the Pro11, but this does not address the field of view issue.

It does, however, cut down the number of scans required for each rotation. As of this typing an iPhone 10 requires 14 stopping points per pano in the Simple mode. The iPhone 11Pro comes in under half that, at 6 snap points for a Simple scan.

If you want to up the game on the FOV then it will add two additional rotations zenith and nadir looking to simulate the 3 rows of cameras the MP2 uses.

Empirically speaking you can do the math as the rotation scan stops do not change, so you end up at 42 total scans for Complete with an iPhone X, 18 total scan points on an iPhone 11 Pro.Stitching, post-process quality, and alignment are among the issues - some along the same line as as the spherical photo-only depth techniques employed by the 360 cameras (though they do it a hell of a lot faster, at the cost of IQ).

I am still in testing as I have time to better understand the real world impacts of the hand held scan on a phone or tablet and trying to make a tour that I would put my name on.

Hope that helps give you a bit of perspective at least!

Richard
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Expertise
@bryanhscott
@RichardStanton

I could imagine that Matterport is working on enabling the Capture app to pair with a rotator and tripod. (Ala GeoCV).

I could also imagine that Matterport will take advantage of the (likely) LiDAR depth data capture in the to be released iPhone 12.

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
RichardStanton private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod

I concur, though the LiDAR sensor in the iPad Pro 2020 is relatively sad both in resolution and time to acquisition.

I expected one or the other to at least be decent. It's pretty clear they released it for early development work or for people to toy with in advance of such work.

I believe that the plan for the Sensor mk II etc. lines from Occip to tie in the LiDAR for target acquisition and hold since they already leverage the on-device camera - something that has been really rough even with the MK II hardware and its supposed "daylight" capabilities.

I would wager that Matterport would do something similar - if it lacks the resolution it could still make a great alignment assist.

The one I am really interested in though is the new realsense - I have a preorder coming in the next 30 days or so if not delayed again.. they run a pretty decent resolution in a tight little solid state, small power consumption form.

We shall see though, lots of fizzling going on out there.
Post 7 IP   flag post
inmerso3D private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanhscott
@Expertise Understood. When Matterport first announced support for iPhone, I tried it right away. Didn't care for the effects and the disadvantages, especially when I already owned a Pro2. Though I did not do any hardcore production work using the iPhone, I did enough to realize the spin time was about the same. The difference was in not having to mess with the tripod. Though this would only be a guess for the reasons mentioned, I suspect kicking the tripod out of the workflow would save you 1/4 to maybe 1/2 the time on sight.

But a question:
The time is the same if the scan with the iphnoe / ipad is cylindrical, but if it is spherical does it take longer than Pro2?
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
I could imagine that Matterport is working on enabling the Capture app to pair with a rotator and tripod. (Ala GeoCV)

If they had had it first it would have more logic in it. However they have released it as it is and they are ruining impressions from their own product. And on top of that they have created a lot of problems for their own providers. It all could be avoided.

They could just get their pro services aligned and done quickly. Why chasing extra revenue from small users with IoS devices when they can start doing what they promised to their providers.

Stitching models: providers will pay a reasonable fee for it if it is done quickly. Floor plans are not free but people are waiting for days.
They lost $15 from me for a floor plan because I needed it next day and I knew I was not going to get it fast. I have gone to Captur3D for it and I am going to use them always from now for a floor plan.

My opinion is they keep losing money where they can earn them on extra services. They are losing as a good tech provider with a good support. MSPs that have been with them for years are now looking for alternative. And I am sure sooner or later there will be one and Matterport will only get a residual and constantly reduced income from their plan fees. When the last active model is gone from providers accounts because their client does not need their tour anymore accounts will be shut down.
Post 9 IP   flag post
101634 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?