Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Boat AnchorNewbiesPro2

Can Matterport camera be used for anything else?11967

itsrichphoto private msg quote post Address this user
I dont have a Matterport camera, so to those that do, this is probably a stupidly obvious question.

Can the Matterport camera or system be used without the Matterport software? Without the subscription? Has anyone hacked the camera or been able to use scans etc without uploading to the Matterport website?

There is a lot I like about Matterport, but there is also a lot I think it fails at. Its a shame to spend so much on hardware and for it to be attached to a system that is a one trick pony. Has anyone tried to download the images and 3d data then load in alternative 3d software?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Premium
North Palm Beach, FL
hometakes private msg quote post Address this user
I see it being used as an anchor for a two person dingy for some of the people here that are fed up with Matterports tactics......
Post 2 IP   flag post
immersivespaces private msg quote post Address this user
I found it works great as a tire-stop when parking on hills.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsrichphoto
Can the Matterport camera or system be used without the Matterport software? Without the subscription? Has anyone hacked the camera or been able to use scans etc without uploading to the Matterport website?

If you get 50mp dslr/mirrorless and use it with a good lens on a nodal head you will beat Matterport quality and it will cost you close to a Matterport Pro2. It is kind of eliminate any need to buy a Matterport camera and hack it.
Post 4 IP   flag post
botticelli private msg quote post Address this user
No, it's a great question with the unfortunate answer being it is only for use with Matterport cloud services. I believe there are services online that will extract the 360 photos but it's pretty ridiculous that we don't have access to the digital files of a scanner we bought. It's a big dead albatross on top of my tripod and the carcass is starting to stink.
Post 5 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
It's like @Wingman said its easier to buy a DSLR, rotator, and good software to process 360 Panos, then use a good photogrametry software and you get everything except the dollhouse view. But right now if your looking maybe look at Iguide which gives you a good camera and good product. Just something to look at.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
leonherbert private msg quote post Address this user
I create 360 by placing my dslr on top of it and then let it turn around. The timing of the shots is the difficult part. But otherwise a flawless turntable.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
@itsrichphoto you would be in breach of quite a few things doing that, but have at it. The problem with Matterport is that it has a very good 1 trick pony, the handler sucks big time, but the pony can run the show without the handler. Now trying to find out how to feed the pony or change its shoes is another story.
Post 8 IP   flag post
itsrichphoto private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for your thoughts everyone! Its good to see people get their money's worth. I was wondering if there was a method to extract all the data without using the cloud service. I do a lot of 360 photography and the thing that is most time consuming and I hate most of all is linking all the images for the virtual tour process.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
@itsrichphoto No, unless you process it through Matterport.
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
JuMP private msg quote post Address this user
@leonherbert @itsrichphoto with current account of Matterport, after you pay the monthly fee, you can process the showcase and store them (within the limited) without extra payment. You can achieve the unimportant showcases to save "store qty.",but achieved showcase won't be shown on the network. We suggest you make a full data package backup before you achieve them. The backuped data package can be hosted or organized by other 3rd party platform, and become accessible on line again. Maybe the showcase result is not as good as matterport, but it is better than nothing, and you don't need to pay more for the extra showcase store on Matterport cloud. To the important showcases you should make the full data package backuped either, because they are important, a backup will be always required in case of any network problem from Matterport side. It is same that one "not so good" backuped showcase is better than nothing.
PM JuMP for the detail about the full data package and the possible 3rd party platform.
Thank you.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
@JuMP This makes absolutely no sense. I have been a Matterport user for quite a few years and understand the ecosystem. I am not sure what you are trying to sell. With Matterport you can archive unlimited number of virtual tours if you are on the new plan.

What prey tekk is this third party program that can make these tours come back to life?
Post 12 IP   flag post
101438 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?