Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
David ErakerInventionLawsuitsPatentsRedfinTechnology

Who invented Matterport tech (as we know it today)?11950

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Video: MGWU Speaker - Matt Bell, Matterport | Video courtesy of Make School YouTube Channel | 9 August 2013

Video: Matt Bell (Matterport) - Capturing real-world 3D content - at AWE 2014 | Video courtesy of AWE - Augmented World Expo YouTube Channel | 2 June 2014

Screen Grab of US Patent for Image-based Renderings of Real Spaces (Patent Number: US 9 , 836 , 885 B1) dated 5 December 2017 based on provisional patent application Number: 61/ 895,978 filed on Oct. 25, 2013.

Hi All,

The Federal lawsuit filed Monday, 11 May 2020 against Redfin - Redfin co-founder sues company for alleged patent infringement over 3D home tour technology - piqued my interest in reading the US Patent for Image-based Renderings of Real Spaces (Patent Number: US 9 , 836 , 885 B1) dated 5 December 2017 based on provisional patent application Number: 61/ 895,978 filed on Oct. 25, 2013.

"Surefield founder David Eraker claims Redfin copied technology that he developed after leaving the company that allows prospective homebuyers to take virtual 3D tours of properties in a lawsuit filed Monday [11 May 2020]," reports GeekWire. "Eraker launched Surefield as a real estate technology startup in 2012 after leaving Redfin. The company began developing 3D Home Tour, which creates digital renderings of properties that allow users to move around in the space virtually. Surefield filed a provisional patent application during the research and development phase, which was later awarded to the startup."

"Surefield’s 3D Home Tour launched in April 2014. A few months later, Redfin unveiled 3D Walkthrough, a similar image-based rendering product, with its technology partner Matterport, according to the complaint," reports GeekWire.

Now I am totally confused. Who invented Matterport tech (as we know it today)?

Was it Matt Bell, Mike Beebe and Dave Gausebeck? The three co-Founders of Matterport?

Or, was it Redfin Founder David Eraker: his ideas allegedly shared with Matterport, as described in the lawsuit filed this week? And, not to disparage the innovation of Matterport's Brain Trust in any way. Just wondering if some of David's ideas - as described in David's patent - made its way to Matterport to significantly impact what we think of Matterport capture of depth data and photography?

The provision patent by Redfin Founder David Eraker (and two others) was filed 25 October 2013 for the patent that was granted 5 December 2017.

Here are some excerpts that sound like Matterport (to me):

Screen Grabs from US Patent for Image-based Renderings of Real Spaces (Patent Number: US 9 , 836 , 885 B1) dated 5 December 2017 based on provisional patent application Number: 61/ 895,978 filed on Oct. 25, 2013. | "FIG. 4 shows a user interface for presenting image-based rendering or real property according to one embodiment of the invention.

---

I bought a Matterport Pro1 3D Camera in July 2014. I believe I bought the camera shortly after it was available in this itineration that did both scanning data and photography. That's nine months after the provisional patent application by David Eraker.

My understanding is that it could be two years before a provisional patent is public. So, I could imagine that two different people or companies could invent the same solution at the same time; without knowing it.

But ....

This is interesting ...

Photo by Wade Roush | published 16 May 2013 in Xconomy

(It's a must read, well-written article about the early days of Matterport.)

Matterport Isn’t Playing Games with Kinect-Style 3D Camera

Before I bought our Matterport camera, I recall that the first generation of the camera - before the Matterport Pro1 3D Camera which most of us think of as the first Matterport camera - only captured depth data.

The Xconomy article by Wade Roush does talk about the next generation of the camera coming Summer 2013, but I just don't recall seeing / knowing that the Pro1 was available much before I bought it.

That said, in this livestream video (above) Matterport Co-Founder Bell Founder (9 August 2013, Matt talks about the commercial release starting Fall 2014. Those, I don't recall if that was the actual timing ...

Wish I knew more about the history of Matterport tech.

So, is it a coincidence that Matterport used both the depth data and photography?
Post 1 IP   flag post
martel private msg quote post Address this user
At the end of the day you know who wins? Attorneys. Matterport will sue and will be sued until the money runs out and then guess who suffers? We the matterport users and the consumers we deal with.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Reading, United Kingdom
mcuddy private msg quote post Address this user
Matterport isn't redfin and redfin isn't Matterport. If Matterport isn't named in the lawsuit why is this even a discussion?
Post 3 IP   flag post
RichardStanton private msg quote post Address this user
It wasn't just "Kinect-style", the original working designs were in fact strung together Xbox Kinect sensors. Even the first rev. of the Kinenect for the XBox 360 which came out in... 2010 was way ahead of it's time. In fact the old SDK has all of the basics required for mapping any 3D space.

I used one for a long time to scan smaller objects until I was able to secure something beefier. Now it sits as a talking piece showing people their real-time skeletal mapping on a screen as they approach the sensor, and another for in-air hand movement mouse control etc.

It can/could not only scan a 3d space, it can detect usable detail of 5-6 people in a room simultaneously including facial expressions, hand configurations, posture, and even location not only by depth sensor but by 3d positional audio as well (yes, both Kinect V1 and V2 had an array of microphones even for spatial recording).

Heck some of us even use them today to beam real world selves into VR (two face to face can capture and send a full 360 physical space/person into a VR environment)

The funny thing is, this thing sat at the front of the TV so people could pretend to throw virtual balls for their pet fuzzy, and that's about it. If people knew what it was REALLY capable of, I'm pretty sure they would have wigged out.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcuddy
Matterport isn't redfin and redfin isn't Matterport. If Matterport isn't named in the lawsuit why is this even a discussion?

Point taken.

I went ahead and added these paragraphs to the story above to provide context of the relevance of Redfin.

---

"Surefield founder David Eraker claims Redfin copied technology that he developed after leaving the company that allows prospective homebuyers to take virtual 3D tours of properties in a lawsuit filed Monday [11 May 2020]," reports GeekWire. "Eraker launched Surefield as a real estate technology startup in 2012 after leaving Redfin. The company began developing 3D Home Tour, which creates digital renderings of properties that allow users to move around in the space virtually. Surefield filed a provisional patent application during the research and development phase, which was later awarded to the startup."

"Surefield’s 3D Home Tour launched in April 2014. A few months later, Redfin unveiled 3D Walkthrough, a similar image-based rendering product, with its technology partner Matterport, according to the complaint," reports GeekWire.

---

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
101641 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?