Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
LawsuitsLegalNewsPatentsRedfin

Redfin co-founder sues for alleged patent infringement: 3D home tour tech11893

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Eraker v. Redfin and Madrona on Scribd

Redfin co-founder sues company for alleged patent infringement over 3D home tour technology

GeekWire (11 May 2020) Redfin co-founder sues company for alleged patent infringement over 3D home tour technology

"Surefield founder David Eraker claims Redfin copied technology that he developed after leaving the company that allows prospective homebuyers to take virtual 3D tours of properties in a lawsuit filed Monday [11 May 2020]," reports GeekWire. "Eraker launched Surefield as a real estate technology startup in 2012 after leaving Redfin. The company began developing 3D Home Tour, which creates digital renderings of properties that allow users to move around in the space virtually. Surefield filed a provisional patent application during the research and development phase, which was later awarded to the startup."

"Surefield’s 3D Home Tour launched in April 2014. A few months later, Redfin unveiled 3D Walkthrough, a similar image-based rendering product, with its technology partner Matterport, according to the complaint," reports GeekWire.

Source: GeekWire

---

Related

✓ GeekWire (26 July 2017) In updated IPO filing, Redfin says its co-founder is threatening patent suit
Lawsuit: Matterport, Inc. versus GeoCV, Inc. - All Legal Documents

Hi All,

I remember when Redfin initially used Matterport Tours in their marketing. I recall that Redfin shared a common VC with Matterport.

Redfin did not re-embrace Matterport tours until COVID-19. I wonder if that was because of potential litigate concerns ...
Post 1 IP   flag post
Ultimated1228 private msg quote post Address this user
I was with Redfin as a listing agent for 5 years, ended up leaving in Feb of this year right before everything started getting shutdown. I'm not sure where the statement comes from that they didn't embrace Matterport until COVID-19. They have been deeply entrenched with Matterport since before my time with the company started in 2014. I did over 250 transactions as a Redfin agent and used Matterport on every single listing.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimated1228
I was with Redfin as a listing agent for 5 years, ended up leaving in Feb of this year right before everything started getting shutdown. I'm not sure where the statement comes from that they didn't embrace Matterport until COVID-19. They have been deeply entrenched with Matterport since before my time with the company started in 2014. I did over 250 transactions as a Redfin agent and used Matterport on every single listing.

@Ultimated1228

Thank you for the detailed backstory.

I apologize. My mistake.

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Inman (12 May 2020) Redfin co-founder sues company over patent infringement

"David Eraker filed one of the suits in federal court Monday. It states that after founding Redfin, Eraker left and later formed Surefield, an online brokerage that pioneered 3D tour technology. Eraker believes Redfin, along with partner Matterport, copied that technology despite Eraker and his company patenting it," reports Inman.

"The federal lawsuit hinges on events that happened following Eraker’s ouster from Redfin in 2006. After several years, Eraker founded Surefield in 2012. Court documents claim that Surefield was “the first company to offer commercial image-based rendering for the creation of online 3D home tours that combined photorealism and spatial navigation amongst other features,"' reports Inman.

"Surefield’s version of the technology launched in 2014 and “enabled both spatial navigation and photorealism in the same user interface,” the court documents state. Additionally, Surefield holds a number of patents related to the tour technology, and those patents name Eraker as an inventor," reports Inman.

"However, Eraker’s suit claims that despite those patents, Redfin and Matterport launched their own version of the concept shortly after Surefield did. And Eraker believes that version ripped off his technology," reports Inman.

"The suit later adds that “not only is the Redfin-Matterport image-based 3D rendering service similar in appearance to Surefield’s, but there is evidence that this service utilizes a strikingly similar technical implementation to the one first disclosed and used by Surefield, which is further indicative that it was copied from Surefield’s first-to-market service,"' reports Inman.

[The story is much longer. These are just excerpts. - Dan]

Source: Inman

---

90 Day Free Trial of Inman with this WGAN Affiliate Link
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Post 5 IP   flag post
101641 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?