Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3603D ShowcaseCapture AppPro2

First Apple Scan .. and the demise of Matterport11880

Bollingerphoto private msg quote post Address this user
Just did my first apple Matterport scan after selling Pro 2 for the the same price I purchased it for... waiting for the scan to upload.This is Matterports " Hail Mary" as new technology unveils a golden age of 3d and Virtual image capture. My initial thoughts are that apple scans will be "Good Enough for most end uses and the following will occur for Matterport Service Providers... 1) The do it yourself market has just been unveiled ...idiot realtor, monkey or minimum wage worker can push a button and create a model. 2) The Matterport race to the bottom is officially over & 3 cents a square foot is the new reality for a pro 2 scans until the end of Matterport's useful lifetime. 3) The floodgates are now about to open for rival services and Matterport will finally get its just deserts when a tech giant comes up with an exponentially better product and destroys the Matterport model ... Matterport will become a BetaCam product overnight. There will be zero value in Matterports digital assets as it will be primitive tech in comparison to what is next on the horizon. 3D providers will adapt to the new tech and will blink an eye or think twice as they step over Matterports smoldering ruins... The End... Could not happen to a more deserving company...
Post 1 IP   flag post
Garnetwest private msg quote post Address this user
Yep...the "Good Enough" crowd represents the largest segment of the market, spends the bulk of the money and is more receptive to price vs. quality. The VHS vs. BetaMax wars are a prime example of that theory. Its extremely difficult to build a walled, proprietary technology with restrictive and unfriendly rules and expect to dominate for very long...eventually technology (and its users) will develop innovative alternatives,

Don't believe me, just hail a taxi and try to rent a movie on Beta from your local Blockbuster store. 🤪
Post 2 IP   flag post
Houston
briangreul private msg quote post Address this user
@Bollingerphoto - of course this is why everyone uses an iPhone for their photos and threw out their EOS single digit cameras...... lol.

McDonald's will always have cheeseburgers on their 99¢ menu. That doesn't mean 5 guys is obsolete or out of business.

WalMart will continue to sell Special Kitty 25# bags of cat food... and Blue Buffalo will keep selling $30 3# bags of cat food.

Some people think fuzzy, out of focus iphone/ipad pictures taken with a 1/8" sensor are acceptable. Truthfully you don't need photos to sell property. You just need a legal description and the right price, someone will eventually come along and buy it. You will however get a better price sooner with better photography and a high-quality, properly stitched 3D virtual tour. Photography and pictures are similar, but not the same. Anyone can take a picture. Often out of focus, poorly composed, and with no regards to staging or lighting. Nonetheless, it's cheap and easy and once in a while something nice happens by shear luck. I've seen the results of a few MP tours done with the iPhone. If mis-alignments are your thing, then you are all set. Given how many realtors want the sky, grass, and furniture changed, I doubt mis-alignments will fly for long. There is however that set of bare minimum folks who like fuzzy photos and cheap cheap.... they'll be fine with it.

iPhone/iPad Matterport models will be "good enough" for the same agents who do their own pictures with an iPhone. These same agents pull down less than $60K/yr and sell 5 to 7 properties a year. I honestly don't think they were ever my target market as a photographer. Matterport will struggle to monetize them and when it does it will add pennies to their revenue per month per customer metrics, if it doesn't actually dilute the number and bring it down.

Meanwhile, people who have a budget and a sense of marketing will continue to hire photographers with cutting edge tools like the Pro2 and full frame EOS / Nikon cameras with prime lenses to do quality photography. These same people have the ability to spend far more than the iPhone picture crowd. Sensor size matters in photography because it has to do with light capture and amplification/noise. In photogrammetry, consistency and alignment are king. A handheld device is not going to yield good consistency or alignment.

So are you a picture taker? or a Photographer? If you are the latter, then you already understand using an inferior sensor is not going to yield superior results. If you are the former then snap-away and best of luck.
Post 3 IP   flag post
BrokerBruce private msg quote post Address this user
What I don't understand is why a seller puts up with crap photography on their home that's listed at any price point. I was looking at various listings and tours this weekend. One was an Iphone. Honestly the chair rail looked like it was melting down the wall. It had to be done hand held. Couldn't believe the guy posted it. The second was a Theta V1 was fair. Another was a good Matterport and the last was an iGuide. I was blown away by the iGuide. Beautiful but the equipment is certainly pricey. Matterport needs to come up with a whole new business model if they want to stay relevant.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
Consider the iPhone the Honda Accord of Digital VR Photography. It's built for the masses & you can live contently knowing you have attained what everyone else has, no hurt feelings, and requires just a free plan from Matterport. Averages 12 megapixels & a cracked screen.

Consider the Pro2 3D the Mercedes G-Wagon of digital VR photography. It's for professionals only, for those who evoke Rembrandt levels of quality, and requires a paid plan that exceeds the rent of most iPhone owners. Averages 134 megapixels & does not have a screen to crack.

The best is yet to come. The Bugatti Veyron or Koenigsegg Regera's of Digital VR photography is still in the future, although there are many camera's superior to the Pro2 3D right now. It is what it is.
Post 5 IP   flag post
101428 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?