Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3DVistaGeoCVMPEmbedMuseumsPanotourWhite Label

What's the best 3D/360 Virtual Tour Solution for a Museum?11778

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Screen Grab: Doukhobor Discovery Centre in Castlegar British Columbia, Canada is temporarily closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

What's the best 3D/360 Virtual Tour Solution for a Museum?

Hi All,

I noticed that one of our new WGAN Members is the president of a historical society that operates a museum. He writes in the WGAN Forum discussion - WGAN Forum? Please introduce yourself WGAN - the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by @gordons
Greetings and salutations!

My name is Gordon, I am the president of the Kootenay Doukhobor Historical Society. We operate
the museum and grounds of the Doukhobor Discovery Centre a Canadian National Heritage Site, in Castlegar British Columbia, Canada.

We are seeking ways of creating and facilitating virtual museum tours at our facility.

All the best.

Your thoughts on the best 3D/360 Virtual Tour Solution for a Museum?

@gordons perhaps you have some additional input or questions?

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
Saarikor private msg quote post Address this user
Hello,

Custom build for museums is always the best way. (I think). You can add 3D models, videos, pictures etc. Here is one solution. We made this for one Finnish art museum. The point is just to show something and tell in videos about the place. So when or if the quarantine stops at some point, then museums might have a lot of potential customers. https://360panorama.fi/360TaidemuseoOnni/index.htm (sorry for only having the fin language at this point)
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
New York City
3dVuz private msg quote post Address this user
Most museums have their own website already. Do a tagged Matterport snd supply the embed codes ... it will be easier for them.

https://3d-artgallery.com

HOWARD
Post 3 IP   flag post
CharlesHH private msg quote post Address this user
@Saarikor Can I ask which camera and software you were using for this? It's a nice job.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Thanks CharlesHH.

The aerial stuff is with DJI Mavic 2, Library panorama is done with Nikon Z6 24mm lens. All other panoramas are with Nikon D800 10.5mm. Software: Photoshop, Premiere, Lightroom, 3DVista Virtual Tour Beta.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
@Saarikor - Beautiful work. I wish I understood Finnish! (would love to visit one day) I see this was done with 3DVista, same application I've just used on a massive tour of a 20-acre community in Los Angeles. I'm soon beginning work on an LA museum and will definitely use this for it's flexibility and the depth of creative options - way beyond anything else available.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Matterport 3D Tour by We Get Around Atlanta Chief Photographer Dan Smigrod

@gordons

Above are three Matterport 3D Tour tours of museums created by We Get Around Atlanta. Both are displayed using WP3D Models WordPress Plugin.

Matterport MatterTags are used in the top two examples.

If you do use Matterport MatterTags, it's likely that this new solution will be tremendously helpful:

Transcript: WGAN-TV: Automating Exporting & Importing Matterport MatterTags

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

From this WGAN Forum Related Discussion:

Question of the Day: Show us your best Matterport 3D tour with MatterTags?

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Marshallartsmedia
I'm not sure if this is a good example of the best use of tags, but it's probably one of the more substantial uses. With so many tags, the case highlights the features and shortcomings of the Mattertag.

My client is the Royal Ulster Academy of Arts. I have been shooting images and video for them for a few years now and had a fairly substantial archive of work accumulated. That body of work was sitting idle on my hard drives and forms the basis of the archive site. My connection with them is not THAT commercial in a traditional sense because I will be maintaining this site as an ongoing sponsorship, but I do receive commissions for specific pieces of work needing doing such as catalogue photographs and installation documentation.

This is the website with integrated tour that I have spoken about over the past couple of days. It went live this morning.

www.ruaarchive.org

The tour has just shy of 400 metatags in a 600m2 / 5000 sgft gallery space. Each tag has a thumbnail, artist name, medium of the work (e.g. oil on canvas) and a link back to that work's individual page within the bespoke wordpress website.

The website is a tweaked version of Wordpress Enfold and has a woocomerce system that has been modified into a series of online galleries to display the art by medium, by categories, by year etc. When the payment / cart features are switched on, this will allow viewers to purchase work directly but the cart features are currently off for legacy work.

Mattertag love
There is much to like about mattertags and the facility for wider integration that they provide in this use case. The tour would lose 50% of its value to me if I was not able to connect individual works in the tour back to that work's 'product' page so yes big thumbs up on tags being available.

Mattertag gripes
it seems like someone had a great idea and then went off to lunch and forgot to finish it. The tags are crass - they are huge, opaque and bright and do not scale with the item to which they are attached. A dolls house looks like this where the tags completely obscure the model.

This is the tour on its own outside of the website ...

It was the first serious tour I had made, it was hastily completed on New Years eve and I needed another 20 scan points to capture the work properly.

Feedback is always welcome. Thanks P
Post 8 IP   flag post
@Marshallartsmedia and @dansmigrod Isn't the best answer to use MPEmbed. You can switch off Mattertags in Dollhouse and Floorplan views and during an auto highlight reel tour. You could also use the Highlights menu to jump from room to room.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Saarikor Thanks for the info about equipment/software. I have the Pro2. If I was to buy a DSLR for 360 today, what would you recommend? Should I consider some second-hand equipment as you don't need the very latest for good quality 360?
Post 10 IP   flag post
I have Nikon Z6 and Nikon D800 for higher quality images. I also have Fanotec Mecha to do the job when using better tele lens. But good, fast and higher quality images can be shoot almost with any dslr body. For example Nikon D800 is not so expensive any more. But you also need panorama head to do panoramas.
Post 11 IP   flag post
trunganhvux private msg quote post Address this user
Custom build with Panotour + GeoCV for self hosting + white label

https://vrtour.vn/files/3dtour/vinalanai/scenic-valley.html

https://vrtour.vn/files/3dtour/vinalanai/river-park-premier.html

This is an example of real esate but I think the concept are not really different

I think the biggest disappointed of Matterport they dont support white label and a lot of customers don't like that
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @CharlesHH
@Marshallartsmedia and @dansmigrod Isn't the best answer to use MPEmbed. You can switch off Mattertags in Dollhouse and Floorplan views and during an auto highlight reel tour. You could also use the Highlights menu to jump from room to room.

Yes. This is a great use of MP/embed: an overlay for Matterport 3D Tours.

Dan
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@gordons

WGAN Forum related discussion:

My First Matterport Art Museum/Gallery Tour: Comments Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Senojev
I have just completed a decent size model of a current exhibition at a local Art Institute and would welcome any comments.

Two more are in the near future pending based their reaction to this one.

Dan
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@gordons

This likely will be very helpful to your museum:

WGAN-TV: HomePlan Pay Per View Service for Matterport 3D Virtual Tours

Dan
Post 15 IP   flag post
101429 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?