Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
GrindingPro2ProblemsRotatingScans

Matterport Pro 2 Camera sticking / not rotating fully11278

trevornelson private msg quote post Address this user
Hi everyone, I'm a new Matterport user, and I'm running into a little issue here. I've got a tripod head on order right now, but it hasn't arrived, so I've tried mounting the camera to a quick release plate, then attached to a Manfrotto Junior Geared Head, which I know is not the recommendation. It's on a very sturdy Benro tripod that can handle a lot of weight (over 10 lbs for sure), but the camera is having a problem making the full rotation smoothly. It spins just fine most of the time, but after a little use, it starts to give a kinda grinding / stressful sound and struggles to rotate freely, and it seems like it isn't coming around a full 360 degrees, as there is some hesitation. I am looking to use the Manfrotto Manfrotto 394 RC4 with 410PL, as that's what I understand will work quite well.

To sum it up - can the wrong tripod head result in issues with the MP Pro 2 camera making a smooth full 360 degree turn? I'm trying to see if there's any chance this is a defective motor, or if the tripod head being used is the issue. If anyone has any insight, I would truly appreciate it!
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
If grinding YES! do you have any photos of your current setup?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thanks for the quick reply! I do not, but I'll put one up shortly here, perhaps a little video to show, as well. Out of curiosity - what tripod head / release plate do you recommend?
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
I am using a generic 3/8" clamp https://amzn.to/2J5Kks9

Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
A ballhead (though not recommended) will even work in a pinch

Post 5 IP   flag post
Ok, I may just give the bullhead a try, but I would definitely prefer to just use a clamp like you are, for sure, if I can't get one. Thanks again for the help, a photo/video will be up soon, I'm just not sure if it's a tripod / head issue or not, but it sounds like it very well may be.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
I have a set of Benro C373F sticks (not what I use for matterport) these sticks have a 3/8" screw where you mount the head the matterport camera also has a 3/8" thread where you can mount the camera directly to the tripod (just do NOT over tighten)
Post 7 IP   flag post

Photo of the setup.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@trevornelson I would skip the tripod head & use the 3/8" thread and mount directly to the sticks until you can get a simple plate
Post 9 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
leonherbert private msg quote post Address this user
@trevornelson I would hazard a guess that if you are having a grinding sound or difficulty turning it is something in the motor not the mount. The mount should not move.
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonherbert
@trevornelson I would hazard a guess that if you are having a grinding sound or difficulty turning it is something in the motor not the mount. The mount should not move.

Great point.

@trevornelson

Can you record a video - with sound - post it to YouTube and share the link here?

Dan
Post 11 IP   flag post
Sure! Here’s a video, near the end you can hear a squeak / grind. It will do this a lot more the more you use it, and it has a harder time making a full turn smoothly. I’m a little worried that it’s the motor, as the tripod and head have no issue remaining stationary. Thanks for all the help, I’m going to see if a better setup with the proper head helps, and I’ll post the results.

Video:
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@trevornelson

I hear a clicking sound like the one in this WGAN Forum post:

Grinding Ticking noise while scanning

Do you agree? if so, looks like the same remedy that @jward writes about in the above WGAN Forum discussion.

Dan
Post 13 IP   flag post
Looks like this is a motor issue, so I’m going to need a repair / replace with Matterport. They are very kind and helpful, so that’s a good thing! I’m pretty sure once the new one arrives, everything will be good to go. Thanks for all your replies, and I’ll send a quick update when we have it all confirmed!
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnitsch
I am using a generic 3/8" clamp https://amzn.to/2J5Kks9

It is mine, give it back :-) kidding

I lost it yesterday and I turned my place upside down looking for it because I would need it for a job today morning. I have some clamps but they are all for a 1/4 screw. I could not find it but then looked at what I had and used this leveling base from Fanatec(Nodal Ninja). The base comes 3/8 female thread at the bottom and the top screw is also 3/8 but male. And the bottom of a matterport plate has 3/8 female thread. Worked like a charm today.

Post 15 IP   flag post
Just a quick update here - it was the motor, not the tripod / head. I now have the proper / suggested head, but that wasn't the issue. Matterport sent me a new camera, and it's working great now! Thanks everybody!
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@trevornelson glad to hear
Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@trevornelson

That's great! I hope your Matterport Camera is under warranty and that there is no cost to you.

Best,

Dan
Post 18 IP   flag post
Thanks Dan! It was new, so well within warranty, and their customer service was exceptional, it didn't take long at all. Just got done with a pretty big house and it's looking fantastic. Thanks again for all the help here!
Post 19 IP   flag post
101436 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?