Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
GearScanningVirtual Reality

Is the Matterport GearVR app only monoscopic1117

3Dmatters private msg quote post Address this user
Hi there.
I got interested in Matterport since there was a request from an associate to investigate tours/walkthroughs on the GearVR.

I've downloaded both the AP Suite-life app on the GeaVR Oculus store, as well as the MatterPort app for GearVR.

Both of them launch but I was underwhelmed to find out
1) The scans show as monoscopic 360 images
2) As a result, the person viewing these mono photospheres appears to be like 12 feet tall.

Is there a reason why the Matterport app does not display stereoscopic 3D? I was assuming the entire 3D model with texture draped over would make for a compelling 3D space that gave a sense of space / depth to the audience.

Is it just me? (GearVR and Note4 combination) or is it the way the app is designed?

Regards.
Post 1 IP   flag post
CarlosFHdz private msg quote post Address this user
There is a setting on the app to change it from monoscopic to stereoscopic, under options.

Also, when there are many artifacts in the 3D model, MP will make some sections monoscopic. The reason for this is user comfort, and quality of the VR walkthrough.

Many people will not find the stereoscopic walkthrough comfortable, specially if its the first time they try VR.

I'm not sure what you mean by your second question, the height from which the mono photosphere is seen is the level of the camera, most are between 5-6 Ft.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Hi Carlos.
I forgot to mention, I did make sure that monoscopic was unselected in the options menu of the Matterport App for GearVR.

It still shows as monoscopic. Maybe they made some changes to the latest iteration/update of the app and it's defaulting to Mono only.

>>I'm not sure what you mean by your second question, the height from which the mono photosphere is seen is the level of the camera, most are between 5-6 Ft.

This might be true when viewing a mono MP sphere on an ipad/web
but in the GearVR if things are mono, the 'height' of the first person POV looks like they are a giant.
That's why Stereo is crucial to giving a high degree of spatiality or "real depth" of a room, and is the biggest selling point of a VR presentation (in an hmd)

Getting back... can anyone confirm if the latest version of the MatterPort GearVR app is showing places in Stereo?

Also the AP suites app for GearVR?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Orange, California
craigsauer private msg quote post Address this user
I haven't tried VR with Matterport yet, but I have a background in visual perception and depth perception in particular.

I'm confused how the Matterport model/photos could be used to create a stereoscopic view. No stereo photo pairs are captured by the camera, so the only way a stereo view could be created is from the 3D model Matterport creates. That is so low resolution that it would be pretty underwhelming as a VR experience.
Post 4 IP   flag post
We've been using the Gear VR for a while now and according to MP, it is difficult to do a clean stereoscopic due to the amount of artifacts created by the scan.

I went through a few VR models right now, and I understand what you mean about it being monoscopic, however, I still don't feel like its 12 ft tall. The first and second versions of the VR MP app showed stereoscopic views on most spaces, the latest one seems like it doesn't.

I believe this is to show a better looking model (clean, less jarring effect for first time VR users). From the first time we showed people with the stereoscopic on the first two editions, it made most feel nauseous and they had trouble adjusting the focus.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Carlos,
Thank you for confirming this for me.
Yes it is difficult to do clean stereo with depth sensing devices (kinect is a low cost alternative) and there will be holes and fringes.

This is why MatterPort looked interesting and seemed to be a no fuss, one-shot solution.

With no stereo, Clients/Customers wont have a sense of space or 'feel' of a room or location and this is what VR excels in conveying.

I'll have to stick with stereoscopic 360 photography for now.

To answer some other points:
>> it made most feel nauseous and they had trouble adjusting the focus.

I'd hazard a guess that this was because of the sudden acceleration during the transition from point to point in the tour, in stereo. Yes, a cut to the next scene should take care of that, which is why they put the toggle switch I believe in the options of the app.

What needs to be removed is the "force monoscopic" because clearly there is no option to render in Stereo in this newest version of the app.

>>I understand what you mean about it being monoscopic, however, I still don't feel like its 12 ft tall.

In a VR Hmd such as the GearVR, you can't cheat scale.
Since you have access to a gearVR (or an even Google cardboard will do) take a look at this essay on the topic. It might answer the "viewer looks 12 feet tall" question.

http://realvision.ae/blog/2015/02/presence-in-cinematic-vr-3d-movies/

Seasons Greetings!
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Clyde @3Dmatters

Thank you for joining the Matterport User Group Forum and asking super-great questions about Matterport VR (and providing insight into VR possibilities).

I reached out to the Matterport VR team for their thoughts on your original question ...

Here's their reply: (Tuesday, 29 December 2015)

---

The current version of the Matterport VR app does not support stereo on the Note 4. It's a bit of a long story as to why that is, but the short version is that due to several changes by Oculus to the GearVR authoring tools; we ran into some major performance regression issues on the Note 4. That said this is only temporary. We have an updated version of the app that should go live here in the next few weeks that will fix this issue. (It will also update a few other things and add a couple of new features). This performance regression is also why there are so few models in stereo even on the newer phones. Once the updated version of the app comes out, we will update a number of models to allow for Stereo viewing.

Of the 32 demo models that are currently a part of the VR app, only 6 or 7 are stereo enabled even on the newer phones. Once we launch the updated version of the app in a couple of weeks, this number will jump up closer to 15 models, but regrettably not all models are a good fit for true Stereoscopic.

As much as I would like to, I cannot really go into full detail as to why a model does or does not work in stereo. Truthfully, it varies model to model, so rather I will just give the slightly simplified answer and say that depending on the quality of the raw scan data, there are a number of artifacts and issues that become far more noticeable in stereo vs mono. While I agree stereo adds a real level of immersion that is hard to beat, bad stereo can make people very sick very quick, so for some models we opt to disable this for better user comfort.

As for feeling like you are 12 foot tall. Yeah, that is a bit of a tricky one. The camera height in App is the same as the camera height when it captured the raw scan data. As such, if the camera was too high or too low relative to your own height it can cause some fun issues. As odd at is may sound changing how you view the model makes a huge difference. If you are standing while viewing a model try sitting down. And if you are sitting try standing up. This makes a world of difference in how you perceive your size relative to the model.

I hope this information helps.

---
@3Dmatters

Based on the above reply from Matterport, do you have additional thoughts?

BTW, I checked out your blog, The RealVision KnowledgeBase. A great deep dive into VR and related tech.

Thanks again for your insight about Matterport's implementation of VR.

Happy New Year,

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thanks for that follow up dan.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I'll join Carlos in thanking you, Dan for reaching out to MP with the question.
They have given a very good reply and it's something to look forward to then, when I upgrade to a Note5.

>>Based on the above reply from Matterport, do you have additional thoughts?

Yes, but it's a bit disappointing to know that truly good VR models won't be done with the MP solution.
I did have a "this is too good to be true" feeling (in a good way) when I first came across the MP VR webpages, but also came in wondering that if indeed things were this good to be true, why wasn't there enough chatter on using MP solutions for other areas of VR for content creation for the Rift/GearVR.

For instance, a MP 'instant' VR model of a room, and green-screen actors shot with a stereo camera would create some nice 'look around' scenes. Granted 'living' elements such as potted plants etc that react to breeze/wind would also be needed to be green-screened in...

But, I think the limitation in the volume capture itself is - at this time - not good enough for true VR (stereo that is)

from MP's answer:
>> I will just give the slightly simplified answer and say that depending on the quality of the raw scan data, there are a number of artifacts and issues that become far more noticeable in stereo vs mono. While I agree stereo adds a real level of immersion that is hard to beat, bad stereo can make people very sick very quick"...

This, to me means errors, artifacts/fringes/holes will be more the norm than not.
It thus makes sense (for my needs) to shoot still or video Stereo Panos that do give a true sense of depth for an interior/real estate project for a client.

As an example, Download this stereo image: [removed by Dan] (about 3mb and mildly NSFW)

I captured this image of the room interior in stereo in about 2 minutes. It's from my VR 'graphic novel' Dirrogate.

However, if this were for a Real Estate listing, the viewpoint position, would give a client a true sense of how much (or lack of) space there was between the couch and the dining table behind.

View the image via a VR player such as the free KolorEyes for Google cardboard or the Rift.

I think also copying it to the GearVR's Photo folder (creating a "My Images" subdirectory there) should show it in stereo 360.

This spatial depth is where using a VR HMD excels, and this is where a listing agent can have a true "one up" on the competition (imho)

Wishing you a Happy 2016 too!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Hi All,
(Dan asked if I could replace the image with a family friendly one) so here's the original image http://bit.ly/1mQNiDz

It does not benefit from the slight touch-up that the previous finished image had, so there might be a stereo anomaly when looking toward the Apartment's main door.
Post 10 IP   flag post
101436 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?