Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 25 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Pro1Pro2Versus

Matterport Pro 1 versus Matterport Pro 211123

Integratedman private msg quote post Address this user
Could someone give me a honest assessment of The Matterport 1 vs 2..

I bought my 1 3 years ago and it has been VASTLY underutilized as the market here in Canada is apparently, not ready to accept this technology. That having been said the projects i have completed have been very warmly received by clients sadly there just has not been enough clients..lol lol lol.

As pickup has been extremely soft i have been hesitant to purchase a 2 for obvious reasons

Now today i have lost a new job as the client was looking for a 2.. and not willing to accept a 1 they were looking for the 3D component.

So my question is there really a technical difference between the two cameras
or is this only a marketing ploy from Matterport?

kindest Regards

Gary Roberts
Post 1 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
@Integratedman I own both cameras just for that vary reason. I have had clients that because MP solicate them directly know there are two cameras and the agents I have dealt with say they want the Pro2 based on feed back they recieved from MP directly which made it sound like the Pro1 is an inferior product. I do not think so, I do know the Pro 2 battery life better and it works better as far as scanning faster but final product I did not notice a big change but I also have not used the Pro1 for awhile. I charge it every couple of months and update the firmware. I keep it incase of emergencies. Or if like you say the mind set catches on a little better where more agents want it. Just my two cents on the topic. I would love yo also hear from others on it.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
There is a noticeable quality difference for imagery with the Pro1 vs the Pro2

3D Dollhouse is available on any matterport tour including the 360 cameras

When previewing on a smartphone or tablet most folks will not notice a difference

(Matterport Pro1)

(Matterport Pro2)
Post 3 IP   flag post
Liam_Tayler private msg quote post Address this user
I find it depends on the client, most realtors won't even realize there is a difference with the virtual tour between the 2 cameras.

If you are providing photos from the camera, then that is where the Pro 2 really shines, its HDR functionality is very good. The pro 1 should NOT be used for images.
Post 4 IP   flag post
3SixtyNow private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think the general public will notice any difference. The Pro 1 is still leaps and bounds better than a one-click camera.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
I became an MSP with the purchase of a Pro 1 3 1/2 years ago. I still use it and have never (yet) upgraded to the 2. MP stated to me the only difference is that the Pro 2 photographic images have twice the pixel resolution. So, IF you primary business is creating 3D models and tours - AND - delivering “still photos” to your clients which are extracted from the MP 360 panos, then the Pro 2 is superior.

My clients all insist on traditional HDR still photos enhanced through Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. These are FAR superior to anything that the MP camera, Pro 1 or Pro 2, can deliver. So my Matterport creations are just for the dollhouse and tour, not stills.

If you business model is like mine, there is no need for the 2. If you clients want you to create MP tours AND deliver stills right from the MP tour, then get the Pro 2. This is the only reason.

FYI, the resolution of the point cloud is identical in both cameras. It’s only the photographic images which have more resolution.

Hope this helps!
Post 6 IP   flag post
I would like to thank all who took the time to answer my question and offer opinions.
Greatly Appreciated
I will continue to soldier on with my Pro 1, and would be happy to step up to the 2
if revenue dictated, sadly to this point it has not.
I have been in marketing for over 20 years, I understand how to generate business. Maybe one day soon
Canadian business will understand the advantages of this system and wake up!!!!
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
@Integratedman - Good luck. Let me add another thought.

All of my customers ultimately call on me for traditional property photos which they NEED for the MLS. Our challenge is ultimately to nudge the general public to WANT 3D and 360 tours on all properties, as they already want photos. It's fundamentally impossible to sell a property with photos. Hopefully one day the same will apply to 3D / 360 tours.

My first MP tour was done for free on a job where I was providing stills and a video. Dummy that I am (or just excited) it was an 11,300 sq ft home. Well, at least I learned how - and that was back when the camera took twice as long to complete a rotation!

MP does take time, of course. So I now carry three 360 systems (both Z1 and Insta360 One X, also NodalView which used my iPhone and a Rotator) with me to every job. If the agent requests only stills, I shoot them a 360 tour as well. Depending on the home, I may use NodalView (excellent HDR) or a 360 one-click camera (also have HDR but each looks a little different.) These 360 tours are generally just one shot per room and are fast to create. By doing these as a 'freeby' my clients feel they're getting something other photographers don't do, plus they're getting accustomed to "Tours" in general. Sometimes clients "move up" to Matterport later. Occasionally I've even had a client "move across" from MP to a 360 tour, such as on properties with a lot of attractive exterior features which can be shot in full sunlight.

I do believe that someday 3D / 360° tours will be the norm in real estate. Once you're used to them, the limitations of still photography become apparent. Key is that the general public must be aware, as they are the HOMESELLERS who hire agents. Once Sellers are aware, the agents will have no choice, just as with photos today.
Post 8 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
Just to second the thoughts of @Home3D, I could not agree more with his assessment!

If we were to make an analogy to meal, Photos would be the burger, and Matterport would be the fries. You go to the restaurant to get the burger, and you may or may not get a side. Further, that side may not be Matterport. You may want to get a video side or aerial photography for your side.

The main take away is that as a provider of virtual tour services for residential real estate, if you are not proficient with traditional photography, you are losing business. For a small investment in equipment (less than $700) and some time training, you get create a lucrative business selling a product that you know is in demand. After that, it will be much easier to up-sell virtual tour services to your existing client base that know, like and trust you.

btw, I also have not upgraded to the Pro 2 and have not seen a shortage of work.

Hope this helps!
JonJ
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I have never had Pro1 but I am thinking, if it takes the same time to scan with a Pro1 as it takes with a Pro2 I do not see any reason to have both or just a Pro1. It will be unwise to offer scanning with a Pro1 cheaper as it is still the same time for the camera owner to do scans and expenses are all the same. So the only reason to get a Pro1 at a start is just to try it out for less initial investment but that's assuming that you have extra cash to get also a Pro2 if you see a business opportunity with this technology.

However if you are limited in funds and cannot afford two cameras it is better to save and get a Pro2 from a start.

As for selling to REA, sell it as a lead generator for agents and play on "You will be unique by offering it with every vendor who wants a tour coming to you only". Find that page on the Matterport website about "Win More Listings" and use their presentation to REA that they provide as marketing help to MSPs. You will have your chance to sell it to them with that pitch.

We were selling it wrong for a year or so pitching all vendors/buyers benefits to agents. They do not give *** about it. Now I am trying to sell it as a "win more listings" tool and it may change everything.

The first agency I walked in with this pitch on this Monday started thinking to use it and even wanted to do one big house next day. I just used that recent research data published by Matterport that 80% of homeowners want to choose an agent who offers tours for property marketing. I added that "it is USA data but imagine that even if it is only 50% in Australia, how many vendors you are missing on by not offering it at all". I also was honest that there is only few agencies who offers it so there is almost nothing to choose from for a vendor if they want their property to be presented that way.

It did not work with booking me on a spot as they needed to have a chat with their director and I pulled my back badly within two hours after chatting with them. Not sure what is happening right now there but until my back is back to normal it does not make any sense to follow up. I did send them all research data after meeting them and included the link to the video with the Altman brothers selling tactic.

May be I need to convince their director now but I am sure it is doable with the same sale pitch.

I know I can do business tours with it and I have done some already. However REA market seems much easier as it provides a constant pipeline of jobs for Matterport while with business you will always have a challenge convincing every business owner.

While with business you will be constantly pitching it to every owner, with REA you may just need to convince 2-4 local agency and you will be getting jobs from them all the time.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Again ty to all who offerred thoughts and opinions on my question. Will now wrap this up.
My takeaway is ..there is virtually no difference between the Pro 1 and 2 looking at the 3D component
The Pro 2 offers higher quality still pictures if you are offerring this.
If business warranted i would upgrade to a 2 but as this is not the case i will putz along with my Pro 1
which is working wonderfully fyi...

Kindest Regards

Gary Roberts
Guelph Ontario
Post 11 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
@Integratedman I will stir the pot you can always wait for the Pro3 to upgrade. It should be released shortly 🤣🤣🤣🤣.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@ron0987 Ron..good on ya....morning chuckle...
Post 13 IP   flag post
101646 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?