Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 837 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 35,106 Page Views | 19,195 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
copyrightGoogle Street ViewGSVRicoh Theta Z1

Copyright question.11028

Astroprojector private msg quote post Address this user
A client wants to do a virtual tour for a crossfit gym. The goal is to show the tour on the website, social media and Google Street view.

The walls of the gym are murals that have painted images of album covers from bands like Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, etc.

The client does not want to be exposed to any legal issues in regard to album cover copyrights. Does anyone know if there can be any legal claims?

I currently shoot with Z¹ and Matterport. If there is no legal issueI can use Matterport.

If there is an issue, the walls would need to be blurred out. Matterport does not have blur feature, but since I will have access to the images, I will be able to blur the walls in photoshop.

Can anyone suggest a simple, cheap solution that has GSV upload that will allow me to create a tour?
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
JuMP private msg quote post Address this user
Go https://www.vrpm.co.uk/
Post 2 IP   flag post
And what do I do there?
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
JuMP private msg quote post Address this user
https://www.vrpm.co.uk/book-a-tour

Get below information from that page:

Matterport image editing
Starting at £100

Already have a tour that needs the photos and panormas editing? We can blur sensitive details, remove objects and people. Please get in touch to see how we can help.

Simply share your existing Matterport tour with us and we can work with you to edit all of the locations within your tour.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I am not making any money on ot other than hosting fees.
Post 5 IP   flag post
CharlesHH private msg quote post Address this user
If you are not making any money from it, why on earth are you doing it, especially if you are taking this type of risk. You are doing yourself and the rest of us no favours giving your skills away.

The Matterport Capture has the option to blur faces when uploading. It works most of the time. Painted walls will be an interesting one.

Album photographs are definitely copyrighted. If the artworks are too closely copying the original images, the painter is already in breach of copyright unless they paid a fee, which they may have done. I know one photographer who is making a lot of money from suing people using his image for T-shirts’, posters etc - either direct image use or art versions. He scours the internet using reverse image search.

I assume the gym owner knows the person who painted the images. If they agree by email to the artwork being included in the tour, you should be covered. Most artists would have no problem. Or you contract with the gym owner that he takes any liability.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I appreciate your feedback. I have my reasons for doing it for no fees. The painter has no issues with images to be in the tour. The concer is for recording companies or the actual artist suing.
Post 7 IP   flag post
CharlesHH private msg quote post Address this user
I am not a lawyer but have been involved with photographic copyright from different angles. I think you are totally safe. It is the painter who has problems if he has broken copyright.
We all scan buildings with photos and paintings in them. We are just recording a scene. The worse someone can do is take a useless low res screen grab.
Post 8 IP   flag post
izoneguy private msg quote post Address this user
Just Walk Away...
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
It is not your problem that their walls are covered with unlicensed images. Nobody will sue you as a photographer.

As to what to do if you want to help the owner, you can take pictures with Z1 without Matterport, blur walls in Photoshop and build a custom tour.

You can do it with Matterport just to get everything aligned in a tour, submit your model to GSV, download it back t your PC with Pano2VR Pro and then you can go through the same process as described above(without Matterport). Just do not forget to delete original images from GSV.

BTW, may be check with a lawyer because if they are painted(not printed) your client may not have done anything wrong.
Post 10 IP   flag post
The images are painted not printed. So if the images are painted there should not be any problems?
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I believe you can call it an artist vision of albums covers. But it is still better to take it to a lawyer to be sure 100%.
Post 12 IP   flag post
johnwheatley private msg quote post Address this user
Clearly there is no legal issue for you.

I am not a lawyer, but I have opinions ...

Regarding ths painter and gym owner, I would say that an artist can paint their interpretation of anything in the world. They didnt steal the image. What if a painter paints landscape of a strip mall, and there is an Apple store in the mall, so the painter replicates that logo. That painter can sell that painting legally, I'm sure. Painting other artwork seems to me the same.

Also, in any case, chances of a record company coming after a gym are small. If anything, i think the record company will send a thank you note for helping sell their music.
Post 13 IP   flag post
101629 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?