Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
360 CamerasDavis Sanford MONOPED64iFootage Cobra 2ProblemsPTGuiRicoh Theta Z1SlantVertical Videos

How to fix slant instead of vertical 360º photos shot with Ricoh Theta Z1?10817

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

A WGAN Member writes:

"I have used the [Ricoh Theta] Z1 with Matterport app to do virtual tours of houses. It looks as good as the Matterport camera and much easier to hide in mirrors. The problem is that, although on the Ricoh tripod, the resulting scans are at a slant instead of vertical. Is there any remedy?"

Your thoughts? [Needs "figure-eight calibration?]

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
My first suspect would be the monopod followed by compass calibration. Usually if needing a compass calibration an icon will appear on the screen
Post 2 IP   flag post
360scanner private msg quote post Address this user
You can load the equirectangle image into PTGui and you can adjust image to the proper angle.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @lilnitsch
My first suspect would be the monopod followed by compass calibration. Usually if needing a compass calibration an icon will appear on the screen

Looks like this is the long-term solution?

Ricoh Theta Z1 - Calibrate Your Compass Instructions

Looks like this in the immediate fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by @360scanner
You can load the equirectangle image into PTGui and you can adjust image to the proper angle.

PT Gui Pro: 6.6. My panorama was taken with the camera tilted up or down (www.PTGui.com)

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
I believe the basic theta app downloadable from RICOH also has the ability to reposition a pano though am am unsure if will allow correction of angle. None the less it is a decent free 360 viewer for Mac or pc
Post 5 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
leonherbert private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod I think there may be a problem from the Matterport side, I did a scan just the other day and the scans were slanted in Matterport. I know my Tripod was vertical for all the shots.

But I will look at the calibrate compass thing.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
@DanSmigrod out of interest was the scan somewhere with a large amount of steel in it? Mine was a basketball arena, that may have messed with the compass.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
I primarily shoot residential real estate but, I have had no issues to date with any slanting with exception using some cheap monopods when first starting out. My go to monopod now is the iFootage Cobra 2. It has a nice ball at the foot so, if you need to make an adjustments for floor slant this is easily done (I have scanned a space with a long wheelchair ramp)

Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
I liked this one so, much I also picked up it's little brother the 120. Both of which I am confident with using my mirrorless cameras on for taking stills

They do offer a carbon fiber variant but, I like the weight of the aluminum for a bit more stability

Not to mention it just looks professional. I have had other photographers compliment me on this monopod & thought it to be much more expensive than it was.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
The riser gives access to the usb c port if you need additional battery life when shooting

Then add a battery pack down by the foot

Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @leonherbert
@DanSmigrod out of interest was the scan somewhere with a large amount of steel in it? Mine was a basketball arena, that may have messed with the compass.

Let me see if I can find out from the WGAN Member.

Best,

Dan
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
Here is the monopod I've been very happy with, built of sturdy aluminum and also has a ball joint at the bottom which makes leveling the camera a snap regardless of tilted or uneven surface. Mone came with tools for adjusting the tension on the ball joint and a very nice nylon case, though I don't see the case mentioned here on Amazon.

I set this set up, attach my Insta360 selfie wand to it for additional "skinny" height and then the 360 camera. I've used both Insta360 One X and Z1 on it.

Davis & Sanford MONOPED64
clickable text
Post 12 IP   flag post
GFHoge private msg quote post Address this user
Is the figure 8 motion vertical or horizontal?
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@GFHoge

Traveling today. I don't have my camera in front of me. That said, "Hold the Z1 in front of you and move your Z1 through a large sweeping “Figure 8” motion." ... Until the compass icon disappears. If that does not work, try it vertically and/or horizontally until the compass icon disappears. Still not working? Turn around off and then on and repeat.

Which step worked for you?

Thanks,

Dan
Post 14 IP   flag post
I have done vertical, horizontal, and sideways. I look like a voodoo witch doctor calling incantations over a dead person! (I did it outside) On then off, repeat. Still have “the deadly diamond” looking at me from the display.
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFHoge
I have done vertical, horizontal, and sideways. I look like a voodoo witch doctor calling incantations over a dead person! (I did it outside) On then off, repeat. Still have “the deadly diamond” looking at me from the display.

@lilnitsch

Your thoughts?

Dan
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Is the firmware current?

Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@GFHoge please see post from @lilnitsch about "figure-eight" ... Dan
Post 18 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@DanSmigrod

I would also double check the firmware version.

Here is an animation of the "figure-eight" some folks have had to very the size of motion when doing the the "figure-eight"

Probably best not to do it around metal as well (just like when calibrating a drones compass)

Post 19 IP   flag post
thank you all! That worked perfectly. I appreciate the demonstration. I was literally all over the map with this thing. You should have seen it. Had my wife in hysterics. At least now I know what to look for and will see if the slanted scans continue. Thanks and best 2020 to all y'all.
Geof
Post 20 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
@lilnitsch - I’m curious whether your experience suggests this is a good idea, to periodically resent the compass calibration on the Z1, even if that diamond icon doesn’t appear in the little LED display. And if it is a good idea, how does one initiate the compass reset if the icon isn’t there? Is there a manual “reset compass”? I searched and could not find any in the app.

Thanks!
Post 21 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@GFHoge no worries
Post 22 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@Home3D honestly, I had the calibrate compass icon on my screen once in early firmware and haven't ran into this compass issue ever sense
Post 23 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
@lilnitsch at what point do we stop doing the figure of eight? .......
Post 24 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@leonherbert when your arm falls off. If the icon isn't going away you might try a larger or smaller figure 8.

For good measure you may also try the middle of the room away from electronics or metal items
Post 25 IP   flag post
101436 25 25
This topic is archived. Start new topic?