Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 40 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Google EarthGSV19virtual tour platforms

Google Launches Your Virtual Tour on Google Earth Creation Tools10517

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Video: Introducing creation tools in Google Earth | Video courtesy of Google Earth YouTube Channel (20 November 2019)

Google (20 November 2019) Create your own maps and stories in Google Earth

Hi All,

I saw this demoed at the 2019 Google Street View Summit. It's VERY cool and EASY to create an AMAZING virtual tour using Google Earth Creation Tools.

Whom will be the first to use this to make money?

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic Member
Boston
Noddy private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks Dan,
Do you know if it's possible to add a link to a Matterport tour?

Also, wondering if anyone knows how often the Google earth data get's refreshed these days?
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Noddy
Thanks Dan,
Do you know if it's possible to add a link to a Matterport tour?

You can published the Matterport Tour to Google Street View and use the Google Street View version easily within your Google Earth tour.

Once you create one, can you share it here?

Best,

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
whereareweat private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for sharing Dan,

My initial thoughts are I see this as a no brainer to use in the travel industry Viking, Tauck, cruises etc. Agents et al. "Explore the stop off locations" great BD to past and new customers!

It is very limited, understandably, to google stuff so in the 5 mins playing with it, the html embed doesn't work with iframing MP tours, even youtube doesn't work interestingly enough. you can add a hard link to sites that open a new window. But fun to play with for sure, it's like they lifted and shifted their virtual tour app they created a while back Great way to show a 'journey'.

FYI mapbox have a similar solution, it's more bare bones i.e. you have to basic code yourself, but does give some more compelling commercial applications (ED info, demographics, esri stuff etc) for those who do commercial drone, tour, photo work etc. might be a good addition to solutions provided.

Mapbox - Interactive Storytelling

This Google app would certainly be a great 'quick and dirty' solution for commercial real estate to show surrounding intermodals, competitors, road networks etc for example.

Rambling but you get the gist
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@whereareweat

Thank you for the insightful analysis: travel/tourist destinations sounds like a great use case.

Does Mapbox easily accept Matterport iFrame?

Do you have a Matterport meets Mapbox example to share?

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: Google Earth Tutorial: Intro to Creation Tools | Video courtesy of Google Earth YouTube Channel (20 November 2019)

Video: Google Earth Tutorial: Adding Features | Video courtesy of Google Earth YouTube Channel (20 November 2019)

Video: Google Earth Tutorial: Styling Places | Video courtesy of Google Earth YouTube Channel (20 November 2019)

Hi All,

Above are Google Earth Tutorials for using Google Earth Tools.

Please share a Google Earth video that you created using these tools.

Best,

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
@whereareweat

Thank you for the insightful analysis: travel/tourist destinations sounds like a great use case.

Dan

definition of 'easily' I suppose, using googles general solution as a benchmark, then no, you have to change json objects. But you do have coding flexibility if that's your thing. I like Mapbox, but as you know it's no where near as robust as google maps/earth. I mean the solution you shared is pretty cool, within minutes you can create a compelling story. Funny initially I didn't see the youtube/video aspect when i played around with it, so thanks for adding the how to's . So you could throw in an aerial video, MP vid etc in this solution pretty quick. It's an alternative on the aerial 360 tours solution that you've highlighted in the forum over the years.

working on one to share, hopefully today/tomorrow, but it's certainly not the standard of googles

fun topic
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@whereareweat

Thanks for the additional info. Too bad Mapbox requires coding smarts to integrate Matterport. That said, super-excited to see what you do with Matterport meets Mapbox.

If you create a Google Earth story with the publishing tools, I to see that too. Seems like it is super-easy for anyone to create a dramatic and compelling Google Earth story. (Wish I had this tool in elementary school when we had to tell a story about a historic place.)

WGAN Members that work with travel/tourist destinations now have an amazing new tool available to mash up with Matterport (via publishing to Google Street View).

Best,

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
Hey Dan, here are 2 basic examples

Google Earth Example
clickable text
By far the best map content available today, and the tool is easy to use, a few minor quirks in editing, probably just me. But as you originally said it is "VERY cool and EASY to create an AMAZING virtual tour". I only did 2 locations, as you can see, but earth to street view is, and always will be fun to watch. I could not get the upload of a MP mp4 to work either from my drive or drag upload, had to create a couple of youtube's as an fyi, ok I suppose, just another step. Granted this may be an outlier use case but this would be cool for RE agents to use to create a list of locations they're taking their clients to, this would add further value, better than a load of print outs, imo. Final thoughts great self serve tool with tons of applications. FYI this only works in chrome, go figure

Mapbox Example
clickable text
This is in my wheel house so I enjoyed the couple of hours knocking this up, nothing super complex going on behind the scenes (netlify-gatsby-react-json-mapbox), nothing proprietary from my side. But now it's built, lifting and shifting another narrative is a matter of copying and updating one document, so that's cool, and in theory that could be made into a self serve as well. No where near as good maps in terms of street view and 3d view as google, but ok, I like them they do have pretty much the same mapping api as Gs imo, you can style maps, separate tokens for usage monitoring, etc etc. Final thoughts, lots more options could be added (kuula, GSV, sketchup etc), complete control of the deliverable (Content to hosting to branding), it's just a different approach. This is not path for everyone for sure. FYI this is cross browser/device

Thanks Dan, have a great weekend

Justin
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@whereareweat

Thanks for the examples.

On Google Earth, you barely scratched the surface of what's possible. You could still add photos, text, links, etc. Yes GOOGLE Chrome

On Mapbox Example, WOW-WOW-WOW. If you could figure out a front GUI - with the right use case - you have an internet business there. Even just going from one property to the next was fun. While I could imagine a form that agents fill in to get back today's custom route for their client, seems like the use case probably needs to be something that generates revenue (must have rather than a nice to have convenience. That said, an MVP for the real estate agents might be a fun project for you to demo what's possible and inspire you to figure-out the business use case that will generate dollars. The use case now might be a software feature of the major real estate brands.

Additional thoughts?

Enjoy your weekend too.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Dan
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:

On Google Earth, you barely scratched the surface of what's possible. You could still add photos, text, links, etc. Yes GOOGLE Chrome

for sure, my A D D kicks in on these self serves, and the vids you provided do a better job, but laziness maybe I'll play around with another one.

Quote:

The use case now might be a software feature of the major real estate brands.

true there are a multitude of solutions that skirt around this, but to my knowledge nothing that tells a visually compelling narrative for the c suite in the CRE space, or personal RE search for that matter. Unless I'm missing something in your comment.

Have a great Thanksgiving to

Justin
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@whereareweat

About Mapbox meets our 3D/360º Virtual Tour Space, I would to see you develop a MVP that mashes up 3D/360º Tours with Mapbox that solves a real-world problem. (Not sure what that problem is!!!!)

If you do give this more thought, please find a problem (in our space) / solution that does one thing super-well and is stupid-simple for inputing up to 5 to 10 addresses in a form and can be explained either in less than 30 seconds or via an example or both.

Justin, Happy Thanksgiving too,

Dan
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@DanSmigrod

P.S. Perhaps simply being able to visualize where 5-10 listings are, would make it much-much-much easier to plan a route for the day. (That might be a cool tool for Photographers to offer to their real estate clients only works as long as the Pro gets biz from the agent.)

Anyway, that's a thought-starter building on what you said at the beginning ...
Post 13 IP   flag post
101421 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?