Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
CamerasGearNewbiesReal Estate

Need advice about the purchase of a DSLR or Mirrorless camera.10389

Mungo private msg quote post Address this user
Hello. I am coming into this business somewhat backwards. Until now, I have been shooting Zillow 3D Home tours exclusively. I am planning to add still photography for Zillow and Airbnb,etc. As I am just starting, I am on a serious budget. I am looking for a DSLR of Mirrorless camera capable of taking Zillow level photographs...in the $400 range. I understand that I will be purchasing second-hand at this price range, and I estimate I can pick up a decent full-frame within the next 6 months. I have been thinking about the Nikon d5300, as it is available. Also, there is the Sony A600, and the Canon T6. Does anyone have any advice. Any recommendations for a body and lens that can do the job, and at this price range, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone
Post 1 IP   flag post
grmngrl private msg quote post Address this user
@Mungo I recommend you are watching youtube videos on how to shoot real estate photography. There is really no any specific camera that you will get recommended, it is all preference of each individual photographer. You need also to think about what lens you like to use, it will depend on the camera you are using. I think a good lens is even more important than the camera.
Post 2 IP   flag post
TakedaSan private msg quote post Address this user
Hi @Mungo,

I agree with @grmngrl that the lens is even more important than the camera. For interior shoots I recommend some Wide Angle lens. There's a lot in the market, so search for one that fits your budget, and also it depends on the brand of camera you choose and I don't know about how is the price on your region.

The camera brand is also a question of preference because them all have great quality, but I do prefer Nikon. Some friends of mine prefer Canon, others Sony, and also others brands. About the camera, as you said the full-frames are the better ones but the cost is higher, so you made a good selection on your budget. I have a D5300 and it's a great camera if you have a good lens.

I hope I helped a little bit more.

Jefferson Takeda
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Do you need it for still photos or 360?

A Sony a6000 with a 6.5mm Mieke FE lens produces quite good 360s with about 54MP resolution. It is probably a bit more than $400 but I am sure you can get both for under $600 in total. I have paid about $700 AUD for mine(new lens & used camera) which is about $450 USD.

A6000 has autoHDR which is not as good as doing HDR through AEB but it still produces better dynamic range images vs non HDR ones and combines HDR in camera.

However do not forget about stitching software as well. It may be another $200-300 just for PTGui.
Post 4 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
Hi @Mungo,

If you are looking for a budget setup, I would recommend a Canon T6 paired with the Canon 10-18mm f4.5/5.6. This is a great starting place that will not break the bank. If you are able to spend a little more money, or if you can find a used camera, I would recommend stepping up to either a Canon 70D or 80D. These cameras have much higher resolution and have the additional feature of being able to bracket up to 9 images without the use of 3rd party software out of the box.

In all honesty, if I were starting out again with learning real estate photography, I would set aside some money to invest in training and education. This will save you a ton of time and will help you to feel more confident when you are out on your first shoots. The faster you can learn this skill, the faster you will be able to generate income from it. Remember, having the most expensive cookware doesn't make you a world-class chef. A great photographer can take good photos with just a cell phone!

Hope this helps!
Jon
Post 5 IP   flag post
101438 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?