Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 39 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
DroneNewbiesVersus

What drone should I get to learn how to fly a drone? (Knowing I will crash)10352

Samkhalil private msg quote post Address this user
What drone should I get to learn how to fly a drone? (knowing that you are likely to crash getting started)
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
Wednesday DJI has an event rumored to be releasing a new drone. It is suspected to be the Mavic Mini it will be replacing the Spark
Post 2 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
leonherbert private msg quote post Address this user
i would find as cheap a drone as possible, and just practice under I could fly the craft before getting a drone to video/photograph with. it is not whether you will crash the craft, it is when. When is usually pretty soon in the learning process, get something you would not feel uncomfortable crashing. Please be safe though, they can cause a lot of damage.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonherbert
i would find as cheap a drone as possible, and just practice under I could fly the craft before getting a drone to video/photograph with. it is not whether you will crash the craft, it is when. When is usually pretty soon in the learning process, get something you would not feel uncomfortable crashing. Please be safe though, they can cause a lot of damage.

Thank you for a great advise!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnitsch
Wednesday DJI has an event rumored to be releasing a new drone. It is suspected to be the Mavic Mini it will be replacing the Spark

I will look into it and maybe is better to find a Cheaper drone to practice first.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@Samkhalil specs appear to be pretty decent for a starter drone. It is also just under the 250 gram FAA weight limit which classifies as a "Toy Drone" ie it isn't required to be registered

Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Some of these specs were up for a short time when Best Buy accidentally pushed out an "influencers" page to start preparing for generating sales shortly after the announcement on Wednesday

Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
@lilnitsch - Thanks for the DJI announcement info. The Mavic Mini looks like a good buy. I've only flown the Mavic Air since it came out and have been extremely happy with it. 4K video was a prime reason I skipped over the Spark. The Air has been dependable and good quality overall.

As for the learning curve, I just made a decision to always fly my Air with the rotor guards installed. Yes, it reduces flight time about 20% but I carry 4 batteries and have not lost the drone despite running into trees 4-5 times, a wall and a doorway. I carry extra rotor blades but have only broken 1 in the past about 18 months of flying.

I agree, you WILL run it into things. Use the rotor guards if your drone comes with them. Weighing a reduced flight time against losing your drone or the significant damage / injury those rotor blades can cause, to me it's no contest. Just my two cents!
Post 8 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
The only thing I would say, I find flying multiple drones there is a learning curve with the controllers. If your decision is to fly DJI drones practice with DJI. I have used DJI but I am not sure if the different models of DJI all use the same controllers but using DJI and Autel the controllers are different. So after using my drone staying with the same controller and layout I have become comfortable using it and avoid running into an out of control drone. I do agree with buying one cheaper but stay with the same company, so maybe @lilnitsch can address this, are all DJI controllers laid out the same and work in the same fashion. If not I would stay with the drone you buy and practice a lot. I go to open fields weekend after weekend to just practice.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Controller layouts can be customized but, defaults should remain the same from drone to drone for the most part. We have only lost 1 drone to date and it was on a job where my brother was flying and relying on an Agent as a spotter needless to say the "spotter" wasn't paying attention and the phantom hit a tall pine tree at about 20mph 150 feet up. This was an older phantom that didn't have the obstacle avoidance sensors however, real moral of the story is it is the pilots responsibility to keep eyes on the drone (or part of your flight team).
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
The Verge (28 October 2019) DJI Mavic Mini images and specs leak in new retailer listing
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Caught an unboxing this morning of a fly more kit
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
I believe the first round or two of this drones will be on backorder fairly quickly as, I believe there will be a pretty big run on them. Being under the 250grams opens quick a few doors here in the US, Canada, & abroad.
Post 13 IP   flag post
101426 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?