Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AECConstruction Documentation

Can ‘digital construction’ save AEC money on projects?10250

Fast Start
Websites
Peterborough, United Kingdom
angusnorriss private msg quote post Address this user
I’m looking for evidence that supports the case that ‘digital surveys during construction can save developers a lot of money in the long term’.

I am a believer but others aren’t yet. By capturing a plot of land in 3D /360, or by sharing progress of construction - are there any facts and figures out there that proves to AEC companies that the digital survey did actually save a tonne of man hours.

What type of man hours were saved?
At what point in the construction process were savings made?
And how?

Thanks in advance

Angus
Post 1 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
One problem, that I have faced with developers is, that they actually do not want to show or document what is beneath the surface. It's a question of warranty.
Post 2 IP   flag post
APN private msg quote post Address this user
What about approaching the stakeholders?
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
We have been told the same for properties for sale. And yet none of the real estate agents I know and even have worked with want them. It is not that tours won't help them to sell faster and for more. It will. However some are really keen to use their vendor property to collect all details from people coming to actual inspection and with a tour published only 1-2 motivated buyers will show and that's just not enough. Some agencies are even have some kind of limits of how many potential leads each agent should bring from inspection.

I would not blame Matterport though, as a marketing tool it is perfect and save 100s of hours for buyers hunting for their dream house.

So you may be hitting some roadblock which you are not aware of.

However after reading your post again I cannot see how you can collect any usable data on an empty land with a Matterport camera. It won't work outside even with a bit of sunlight and its range only 5m. Plus you cannot really track a progress in one model as there is no "version" option where you can switch from old view of a construction site to the current one. Dee has mentioned once that it can be done manually but she is not with Matterport anymore.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Fast Start
Websites
All fair points. I agree, Matterport alone won’t cut it - it’s the integration of other cameras and their benefits which some stakeholders aren’t aware of.

It’s more of a general 3D/360 benefit-led approach to support presentations.

There are a number of stakeholders I’ve defined with different needs; Site Managers, Marketing & Sales, (pre and post), Compliance, to name a few. I’ll continue to explore and share. Thanks all.
Post 5 IP   flag post
whereareweat private msg quote post Address this user
Multivista posted on linkedin yesterday may be worth checking out, works to your question ‘digital surveys during construction can save developers a lot of money in the long term'.

Link

Granted this is 'post' issue, but the point being if surveys where monitored then a saving/fix would have been preempted potentially.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Fast Start
Websites
@whereareweat thank you!

And the Matterport connection:

https://matterport.com/matterport-news/matterport-and-hexagons-multivista-partner-introduce-next-generation-immersive-3d-media-construction-documentation/
Post 7 IP   flag post
Paris
RomainReparage private msg quote post Address this user
@wigman : Cupix looks like to offer a compare model solution with can be a good way to track progress.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Fast Start
Websites
Yes Cupix is very good solution for fast, split-view tracking of construction progress.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by angusnorriss
I’m looking for evidence that supports the case that ‘digital surveys during construction can save developers a lot of money in the long term’.

I am a believer but others aren’t yet. By capturing a plot of land in 3D /360, or by sharing progress of construction - are there any facts and figures out there that proves to AEC companies that the digital survey did actually save a tonne of man hours.

What type of man hours were saved?
At what point in the construction process were savings made?
And how?

Thanks in advance

Angus

All your questions - and much more are addressed - in this episode WGAN-TV Live at 5:

WGAN-TV How to Make Money with Matterport in the AEC Space for Newbies

Best,

Dan
Post 10 IP   flag post
Fast Start
Websites
Awesome as always, thanks Dan!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Paris
RomainReparage private msg quote post Address this user
We could dream about a joint venture with Cupix getting access to Matterport SDK and offer their compare solution to it. One regular featuring request from architect is to be able to supperpose their projects on Mp scans.
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by romainreparage
@wigman : Cupix looks like to offer a compare model solution with can be a good way to track progress.

I am not really chasing any customers from AEC because I know very little about what they need. At this point I prefer to do business shops/offices with GMB listings as these jobs are quite easy and I can offer a great deal with promoting these types of spaces.

I just added to the discussion about Dee's comment. It seems somehow versions can be tracked and shown in Matterport according to her. They just do not seem to care to offer it to MSPs.

I am going to try something similar with Pano2VR and 360s taken from Matterport camera. My client wants their tours for 5 apartments to be virtually staged and I can try to do a switch between a staged 360 and an empty one in their custom build tour.
Post 13 IP   flag post
101436 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?